I can't believe it's been a year to this very day: DC ELEVATION 2001!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
I was there, were you? I went to both shows and I have a long story, but I can't type it now. Some of it I'm sure you know, I've told it before, but some I haven't.

! I had interesting adventures, met lots of cool and not so cool people, almost got arrested for sneaking into soundcheck, and got death threats from some assholes forcing and elbowing their way to the front. Oh and of course the special Bono moments I've posted. I met Tony the Bono clone in line and he was near us for the second show! I also walked right past Paul McGuiiness and didn't even know it until later! I will write later when no one else is hanging around ths computer bugging me.

In the meantime if any of you went please check in and tell your story. of course the shows were awesome! What a memory, but I really can't believe it's been a whole year!

I know with all the people here someone else had to be there. Tell us about it!

Last edited:
I didn't even notice that it was a year ago today. WOW.

DC1 was my first U2 show (I was in high school in Kentucky during the Popmart tour :sad: ). I was up in the rafters, but it was AMAZING.

[color=royal blue]*CRY*

Oooooooo I remember two of my brothers went to that show!!

And all I got was a lousy Tshirt....

Actually I love my Bono Jammies.....
[/color]

I went to D.C. 2, on June 15. I'll celebrate the anniversary tomorrow.

My best friend from high school, the boy who introduced me to U2's music 13 years ago, came up to D.C. from Omaha so we could go together (having attended Popmart Kansas City and Zoo TV Ames together).

Also, he's my best fucking friend in the whole world.

Needless to say, we loved the show. Had seats that were way up and extremely stage left. The view wasn't great, but I was grateful to be there. A little ways into the show, though, I really could notice the strain in Bono's voice. Man, he hit a doozy of a bad note in "Sweetest Thing." It was also noticeable that all the songs were tuned down a step. But somewhere after "Stay," Bono's voice seemed to get stronger. He was fine after that. (I later heard it was because Bono had been sick right after Boston, and that the Philadelphia shows were even worse than D.C.'s, vocal-wise.)

Another thing that bothered me for a bit was the setlist. It really seemed like a Greatest Hits kind of show... I thought there would be a theme, but the songs were all over the map. (I had embargoed viewing setlists from previous shows.) Then I thought to myself, "Jesus, is this their last tour ever? Is that why it's such a huge retrospective?"

I pretty much forgot about all that when "Streets" started. I have to admit to tearing up a bit during that one. Very touching. If it's possible, I think I may have felt that one in my soul.

We taped the show, but it didn't turn out that great. I'm glad I have the bootleg now, which is a decent audience recording. It's really cool to have a bootleg of a show you attended. I thought I'd be disappointed.

Other bits: I remember it was raining on the way to the MCI Center. My buddy had to stop on the D.C. side of the 14th Street bridge to take a leak in the parking lot across from the Bureau of Printing and Engraving.

From my seat, I was able to see one other person I knew -- a college friend who had come from Phoenix to see the show. It was coincidental because we hadn't planned on meeting until after the show... His seats were four rows behind mine.

As I read over these, I now realize no one will care.

Thanks for telling your story Mixing Bliss! Ah what a great show! I'm still trying to write all my memories but they keep deleting in the middle of it, blargh my computer! I'm so glad you had a good time and don't forget to celebrate tommorrow!

Meeganie, glad you saw the show!

20,000 people there each night, 6000 here, is there anybody else who was there?

Mona, your brothers went and didn't take you? WHAT?! i would be so mad! If I knew you then I'd have taken you! I hope they come there again!

How I almost got thrown out of the MCI Center

On the 14th, my son and I got there at 11 AM- I was sure we'd be too late for the heart! The closest parking lot I found then was almost half mile away. We got our stuff and started running and panting to the MCI Center. It looked so far away, and my heart pounded imagining people were getting the last good numbers just ahead of me. A cab drove by and I stopped him. He said he'd take us right to the door for six bucks. It was worth it! When we got there and went to the end of the line, I asked the girl ahead of me what number we were. She said we had to go to the front of the line to get one! So I was like running again with my heart pounding imagining people getting the last good numbers again. When we got there, we got 230s which was on the bubble since word on the street was there would be 50-100 VIP's in the heart!

We went back and sat on the dirty sidewalk. The nearest food place was a Burger King a block and a half away through kind of mean looking streets. It was a relief to get a break there. Of course we all held places for each other. The Discovery Store let us use their bathroom. They were very kind considering the numbers of us! We were very near the subway too. Two ladies got off the subway and got behind us. Good, I thought when I saw them, I am no longer the oldest person in this line! One was named Karen, she was 42 and we hit it right off. She was fun. A guy came up who could play songs on his hands, and he put guys against the girls in a guessing contest. Well, one of his categories was the 70's and me and Karen were getting them all! My 15 year old son knows lots of old stuff so he was literally picking up the slack for the guys team. Then the hand music guy pitted us against each other, and I told him that was my son! He looked perplexed at me, then him, then me. He said he couldn't believe I was that old! That made me feel good. He didn't patronize the other ladies so he must've meant it. I had on a white t-shirt with a peekaboo hole and white tennis shoes and purple bell bottoms. Later that day, I would kind of regret wearing them!

Around about 4, Karen came and told me she swore she heard Running to Stand Still being played inside. I followed her, and we went up the escalator (which was not running) and the area was deserted. We came to a closed door, and a young guy who worked there who could hardly speak English was on the other side. He saw us coming and let us in! We kept following the sound, and we went through one passage to see seats, and below it, the arena! We saw Dallas Schoo on stage playing, but it wasn't RTTS. We saw roadies setting up, and people walking around. We strained to see famous people but didn't, I mean other than Dallas. We were like in the Golden Cirlce area. She told me we should just slink down in the seats and wait until U2 showed up for soundcheck! Dumb fool kids that we were at our age (she was 42 and I was 391/2!) we just didn't know any better! We giggled under our breath, grinning at each other and acting like teeny boppers! We wanted our U2! She was crazy over Edge and had named her son David Evan in his honor! I asked her what about my son and her friend, they'd be looking for us. So she said she'd stay and open the door for us, and I could go get them. When I came back, she let us in. Her friend got scared and left. My son was followed by a dark haired teenage girl with a ponytail and glasses I had never seen before. She never said a word, she had just joined our gang! The next time we went in, we saw the soundcheck but Karen was gone! We turned to run and came face to face with a security guard! My son and the girl froze. But me being older I had been around the block a few more times. Dressed the way I was and running around the way I was, my head bent down with my hair falling in my face, he probably took me for someone younger. He asked for our tickets. My son mumbled 'they're in my mom's purse' and I talked over him, saying we didn't have any yet, we were waiting for someone to bring them. The girl, who had hung her head, stared up at me with eyes as huge as peaches. She was terrified but never moved or talked. He kept demanding our tickets so they could be torn up. I begged him no, we didn't know there was anything wrong with being there, there was no one around. He asked how we had gotten in and I told him the door was left open- a half truth, it was left open by an employee, but I don't believe in ratting out other people even to save my own hide. He called for backup, a large and intimidating member of the MCI Center staff. he believed we were just lame and had no evil intentions and let us go. We thanked him and ran. I think the guy who found us was mad. I would meet him again.

yes what a week it was! the two philly shows then the two DC shows! those two shows were unbelievable, especially DC 2 with 11 o'clock tick tock. the only negative thing that i can think of is waiting in line from 6-7am each day. it was soo hot and humid those 2 days.

When the time came to line up, I noticed we were a lot farther back than we had been. People had squeezed in. When we got up to the doors and they were checking our tickets to wristband us, who was there but the guy who caught us- I put my head down and looked away. So did my son. I was so afraid he'd stop us and go, you must have your tickets now, hand them over! I jut knew those purple pants were going to stand out in the crowd and give me away. My heart beat so hard it hurt. We avoided him and got banded by some lady. We went in through the two doors and we all started to run! Of course there were calls of slow down, like a hall monitor in elementary school, but no one stopped. At the bottom of the stairs, we were to turn left to run into the GA area, but who was standing there but- the same guy who caught us! I couldn't breathe! I expected him to grab me and throw me out or call the cops or something. He stared me straight in the eye. I was terrified. His face turned to a smile and he said, 'you know, you're lucky you're still here!' I literally breathed out the stress as a sigh of relief. "I know!" I screamed breathlessly. "Thank you!" and I ran to the GA floor!

The heart looked so crowded. I looked at the tip. The rail was occupied all the way around, so we took the spot behind two girls, one of whom was six feet tall. It was the best spot we could get. It would be a night it would have been terrible to miss. I was glad I still had my tickets!

PopDreamBeliever said:
yes what a week it was! the two philly shows then the two DC shows! those two shows were unbelievable, especially DC 2 with 11 o'clock tick tock. the only negative thing that i can think of is waiting in line from 6-7am each day. it was soo hot and humid those 2 days.

Yes it was! It was torture on the sidewalk but it ended up worth it!

Some things are worth fighting for

June 14, 2001 would have been my grandmother's 100th birthday, so I couldn't help thinking of her on that day. She passed away in 1986 when I was pregnant with my son. Her funeral was so sad, standing in the rain at the cemetary I remember looking up and seeing something I hadn't noticed before, a perfectly shaped hill with only one tree on the top. So when JT came out and I heard that song, it reminded me of her funeral. I was shocked and got a chill through me to read the lyrics sheet and see that it was dedicated to their friend and was about his funeral which was- the same exact day and year as my Grandmother's, considering the international dateline. It was creepy but awesome. I U2 connection. I was thinking about that waiting for the show to start. I looked up to Heaven and smiled at her. Then I heard people behind me talking about One Tree Hill. They just kept it up. It was so weird, after what I was thinking, I almost wanted them to stop. I could feel something awesome in the air, like U2 had said about God being in the room at the Elevation shows.

When the show started it was so cool! But the girls in front of me kept jumping and one was so tall and I couldn't hardly see. I got a good enough position, but then this young couple came bulldozing through with elbows, forcing people out of their spots. Most just fell like dead trees with no opposition. When they tried to shove me, I stood my ground. They were half my age and even the girl was bigger than me, but I wasn't going to let them ruin my show. I think it was like that adrenaline rush that makes people lift cars off kids, and it came surging through my veins. I got more strenght than I'd ever had and I pushed them back! Cussed them too! The guy said he had to be up front with his girlfriend and that his girlfriend wanted Bono and they had been on the sidewalk since 2 PM! I told him I had been there since 11, some earlier, and we all wanted Bono! He told me this was what GA was all about and if I wanted a seat I should've bought one. They forced themselves not only in front of me but pushed to the rail, knocking over the petite redhead in front of me. I was at full speed now. I don't even remember how I did it, but I fought with everything I had and pushed them back! For a second I had the rail, and the redheaded girl looked mad at me, and I said, look, I'm fighting for your spot too, and I'll give you yours back, they won't! I gave her spot back and stood where I was before. The couple was behind me, and the girl squeezed my arms with both her hands as hard as she could and said "Bitch you're dead after the show you're DEAD! I'm going to squish you and squish you until you DIE!!" But she mumbled it in my ear. Security came over, and, like always I am the one who draws the most attention in a fight and they blamed me. He told me to step back. I told him these ones behind me had been pushing us all around, and had threatened to kill me! He got on his phone and was going to have them taken away. They froze. I told him no,it's okay, we're all cool now, because if he called and I was seen again by the guy who caught me at soundcheck, oh boy. So I let the assholes off the hook to save my own hide as well. Everybody was behaving and ready to rock. Bono was introducing Kite. I knew he'd understand, he had to fight with someone in Minneapolis who was holding him down claiming he had written the JT!

Last edited:
waves of regret, waves of joy

Okay this is the part I've already told, so if you know this story sorry to bug ya.Of course you don't have to read it. But it's part of my tale so I'd better tell it. It's the part that gave me my sig, and will always haunt me.

U2 came to the tip of the heart. They introduced the band. They were all so beautiful in the spotlights and so close! I had made a sign, and the local TV news had filmed me holding it outside. It had pics of Bono from all through the years from the early days to Elevation (okay all except Pop lol you know I like my Bono with hair!) I had a cover of an old CREEM magazine from the mid 80's glued on it too. It said "Bono for 20 years you have been my DESIRE" and when I heard the opening notes of Desire, I held it up. Bono looked right at it, and he looked me right in the eyes and smiled and pointed at the sign! I was so happy he noticed it!He turned around, and I put it down. He turned back to me, and smiled again, and motioned for me to hold up the sign. I did. He smiled and kept mouthing something about 'up' and motioning 'up' with his hands. I was literally frozen, like Cindy Brady and the red light on TV, like a deer in the headlights. There was my Bono, his awesome presence glowing in the spotlight right in front of me, radiating his eyes, his hair and his smile! I wanted him so much! I was of course wishing he would touch me or pull me up, but he just kept mouthing and motioning and smiling. I just kept holding up the sign. For what seemed like several glorious moments, I was contacting with Bono. I was so happy! Finally, he turned around and sang.

Of course the show was incredible and so special. After the show, and for months after, I cherished my Bono moment as the highlight of my life. No matter how down I would feel, I wouild think about my few moments of attention from Bono and get a rush and thrill of happiness all over again. Then in Oct. I was at the Baltimore show (BTW I saw the same security guy there and he remembered me and announced 'here's the girl who tried to sneak into soundcheck at the MCI Center!" very embarrassing)
During the show, I saw the guy get pulled up to play guitar. Bono did exactly what he did to me. He pointed at the guy's sign, and mouthed and motioned 'up.' The guy handed Bono his sign, Bono held it up and yelled "It pays to advertise!" Then Bono pulled him up on stage! My heart stopped and my stomach was sick. I knew then, that was a cue, I was too stupid and lame and frozen and stunned to take it! I hoped maybe I was wrong, just some delusional old biddy,and to tell you the truth it would be easier that way to not have to think I had a chance and blew it. But everyone I discussed it with said, yeah, that was the cue, I was supposed to go up. In all my years of U2 fanhood I had never been so close so I didn't know.

Now my wonderful memories are spoiled by knowing I could've had my dream come true, something that would have made my whole miserable life worthwhile. I don't know what Bono was thinking. I wish I could tell him I wanted to go up with him more than anything in the world but I was lame. That moment with him would have meant everything to me. Now my joy is spoiled by my regrets, but I still try to be happy for what happened, though I kick myself eternally for how it turned out. That's why I carry this sig, waves of regret, waves of joy.

June 15, 2001

Okay this is my last tribute to my one year anniversary of the DC shows. Here is my celebration of that show where I got to see Bono and his clone!

I got a better parking spot the second day- for thirty bucks I was right across from my the MCI Center and it was worth it. We got there at 6 AM. We got numbers in the 70's. I met Tony for the first time, he was freaking out people in line who thought it was Bono! I missed it when Bono drove up at the MCI Center but Karen took pics and mailed them to me. Some girls were running back to the line, shrieking, shaking with tears of happiness to see that Bono had grown his hair! They said he was so pretty! I told them I know, I was happy to see he had good hair again too- in the fall of 2000 when he was on VH1 and SNL! I couldn't believe they were such big U2 fans and hadn't seen a recent hot Bono pic! We need them on PLEBA!

We got the very tip of the heart with the rail to hold onto! I heard someone say, you happy, yeah I'm happy, and I looked around to see Tony the Bono clone and his friend standing right behind me! WOW! The faces he made were so much like Bono it was cool and weird at the same time! I told them about what happened the night before, with the assholes pushing people around, and they told me and the ladies next to me, don't worry, we've got your back! They did I tell you! Everytime there was a surge from behind, Tony's friend would hold onto the rails with both hands and go 'let me push some f-ers back' and he did! We had a great show! We were so happy and honored to get to spend the show with Tony and his friend! I don't even need to mention the concert rocked and the music was great. Of course it was!

During UTEOTW, Bono came down, knelt down right in front of me, and stared right at me! I know it was me because no one else was in between. Sometimes from a distance I might think he was looking at me but this time I was sure. Then he stood up, grabbed my son's hand and jumped in right on top of us!! It was so awesome! I got to touch his leg and I put my hand on his hand holding my son's hand. Tony and his friend were part of this too. They yelled 'all right Bono!' Later he came by slapping hands, and he slapped hands with my son! I had met lots of nice girls in line that day, and at the tip, and they all got Bono action that night in some way. Some he held their hands, some he sang to, but it was great for all of us. Amy, Kaitlin, and Allison, I know you girls will never forget that special day either! During WOWY he was so nice to all of us. I had a sign that said "Bono you're beaU2iful' and he looked at it and smiled at me the way he did the night before. I treasure that moment too. When Bono is near, you love him even more. His beauty and charisma just draw you in. I love Bono!

At the end of the show, I didn't want it to be over. During Walk On, my son gave him a peace sign and he gave it back! The DC shows were very special to me. I'll stop now, but I have seen some of you tell you anniversaries and I think we all should. I know other people have had much better stories, but this is mine, and I will always remember it.

I was at DC2 a year ago, in the heart...was my last show in the heart (sniff, sniff) but a great one as a super rare performance of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" highlighted a great show. Even though I was more relaxed at this show then others, inexplicably I ended up at the front of the stage during the encores, 2 feet from the B-man. A great day. (Bono was also on the cover of USA Today for his debt relief work too on this day, as a side note).

Hawkfire said:
I was at DC2 a year ago, in the heart...was my last show in the heart (sniff, sniff) but a great one as a super rare performance of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" highlighted a great show. Even though I was more relaxed at this show then others, inexplicably I ended up at the front of the stage during the encores, 2 feet from the B-man. A great day. (Bono was also on the cover of USA Today for his debt relief work too on this day, as a side note).

I remember that! I bought 2 copies! All of us in the line wiped out the area USA Today supplies LOL! He had been to visit Jesse Helms, and Helms was at DC 1!

I couldn't believe it when 11 O'clock kicked in, that was so cool! We were really lucky to hear it! Stay at the tip the second night was a cool experience too!

Ahhhhhhh yes, I have wonderful memories of DC 1 and 2, my 3rd and 4th Elevation tour shows. I saw them first a month earlier at Pittsburgh and Columbus. The DC shows were AWESOME! All my friends all came out for DC 1 including my Sister who was temporarily working in DC at the time. We partied at an Irish pub near the arena, and then went into the show! It was AWESOME. I was able to find a ticket for the second night during the afternoon, but I was lucky because they were only a few people selling tickets for the second night. I was in the nosebleeds for the second night, but it was an AWESOME show and set list with 6 songs not played the night before. I have bootlegs of both shows but I'm searching for a better one of the 14th DC 1 because the sound on that is bad. The 15th is great though.

My brother and I were in the heart for the DC1 show. It was one of the best moments in my life. We were 68 and 69 in line and we live 6 hours away so we just hung out in line all day and caught up with one another. Gone and Bad were great. I can proudly say that I am a heart survivor.

Swan269 said:
My brother and I were in the heart for the DC1 show. It was one of the best moments in my life. We were 68 and 69 in line and we live 6 hours away so we just hung out in line all day and caught up with one another. Gone and Bad were great. I can proudly say that I am a heart survivor.

o yeah....GONE was great! at the start of the song the band was a little off key with each other but that just made the song that much better!

so hard to believe it's been one year ago....maybe this is just a sign i'm getting old :(

Back
Top Bottom