I cannot help but think about Nostradamus'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkys girl

Refugee
predictions, I remember HBO (back in the 80s),showed a special on his predictions for the future. As a little kid back then, I had nightmares for a week, I was so terrified by what I saw. I cannot help but think back to that special. Here is a synopsis of the relevant points. All of this makes me fearful for all of us. God Help us, that this is not the case.

According to Nostradamus, the first two anti-Christs were extremely evil, and history has shown this to be so; however, Nostradamus speaks of a third anti-Christ who is more hideous than all the others combined. Some say Sadaam Hussein, the dictator from Iraq, could be this evil tyrant. Others say that he has not yet appeared. What does Nostradamus say about this third anti-Christ? First, Nostradamus tells us he will come from the Middle East.

Out of the country of Greater Arabia
Shall be born a strong master of Mohammed...
He will enter Europe wearing a blue turban.
He will be the terror of mankind.
Never more horror.

Here, Nostradamus says that a man from Greater Arabia will lead his forces on an invasion through Europe. This invasion will start a third world war that will be far worse than all the other wars put together (Guentte). When will all this take place? In one quatrain Nostradamus gives us an exact date in which the war will be well under way.

In the year 1999 and seven months
From the sky will come the great King of Terror.
He will bring back to life the King of the Mongols;
Before and after war reigns.

Nostradamus predicts the war will begin shortly before the year 1999 (Roberts 191). He also tells us how long the war will last.

The war will last seven and twenty years. (Guentte)

Nostradamus says that the war will be so terrible that the world will come face to face with final annihilation. Here, he implies that the war might involve some kind of horrible weapon, possibly nuclear. Nostradamus tells what the first target will be.

The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
Fire approaches the great new city.

In this phrase, Nostradamus refers to a great city in the new world of America near forty-five degrees latitude. Experts agree this could only be New York.

By fire he will destroy their city,
A cold and cruel heart,
Blood will pour,
Mercy to none. (Guentte)

Although Nostradamus 's predictions for our future sound frightening he does give us some hope by telling us how this third world war will end. He says it will end as a result of an unexpected alliance.

When those of the Northern Pole are united,
In the East will be great fear and dread...
One day the two great leaders will be friends;
Their great powers will be seen to grow.
The New Land will be at the height of its power:
To the man of blood the number is reported.

The new land was a common term used by Nostradamus to refer to what we now call America. The countries of the northern pole could be Russia and the United States. We have recently seen the breakdown of Communism in Russia and an increasing friendship between Russia and the U.S. (Reader's Digest 515).

You're scaring me.

sulkoff.gif

------------------
Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics In The Stew
Happily Not Like Me And You
That's where I lost you....

Sicy's Website

believe me SG, i am really frightened too. this is all i kept thinking about last night.
i am praying our worst nightmare will not come true before our eyes and in our lifetime. i cannot believe we have come to this point.

Go to hell, Nostradamus!
biggrin.gif

Er...just kidding....dont come back from the dead and make predictions about me or nothin'!

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

As far as I'm concerned...Nostradamus made some very clever predictions that have been attributed to particular events in time by us....not by him...people intentionally try their hardest to find events that match the guys ideas...it doens't work for me the other way around....all I saw yesterday was a group of people filled with so much hatred and self belief they were prepared to take their own lives for the possibility of taking some 40-50 thousand with them...this event was yet another example how powerful and dangerous religion can be within this world.

Just think about it.. we now laugh at the absurdness of roman and greek mythology. However we still believe garbage like this. It is clear mysticism and mythology still plagues us. The human mind is very potent and creative in nature and can self fulfill almost anything it chooses, especially things like this. The human mind needs no higher "prophecy" or "authority." It is complete control of its own destiny.

Very well said, Acrobat.

[This message has been edited by Skeksis (edited 09-12-2001).]

Funny how his predictions are figured out only after the incidents happen (remember Hitler?). Very helpful
rolleyes.gif

Don't be freaked by Nostradamus; he was a wise guy, but I have my doubts over the hype and interpretations of his prophecies. The thing about his prophecies is that they are so vague, you could interpret it any way you want.

foray

In the city of god there will be a great thunder, two brothers torn
apart by chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will
succumb, the third big war will begin when the big city is burning

nastradamus, 1654

foray wrote:

The thing about his prophecies is that they are so vague, you could interpret it any way you want

Very very true...he had a knack of never letting out too much, but keeping enough in to spook people..

i hope so, i am just worried because we are at the verge of a world conflict. we all know that attacking afghanistan or bin laden will not end terrorism. there are too many people that are against the US and it's policies, i fear this is the beginning of something horrible that will involve us all.
i have faith in our leaders, but i cannot help but worry. there are alot of lunatics with surface to air missles and nuclear capabilities, what can we expect from people like that?

Originally posted by ACROB@T:
this event was yet another example how powerful and dangerous religion can be within this world.
Maybe you should rephrase that to read "this event was yet another example how powerful and dangerous people who twist religion can be within this world.". The reason that I make this distinction is because, even though I am a Christian, I acn tell you that the Koran does NOT promote violence like this, and neither do most of its followers. the people who say that their "god" told them to do this kind of thing are not truly following their religion, but their own twisted hateful version of their religion.

My brother told me there was something in that prophecy about "shaking towers" did you see that? I believe in "weird stuff'" because we don't know for sure. There are things beyond our comprehension.

------------------
Just as you find me
always I will be
a little bit too free
with myself
-Bono and Edge

Originally posted by Achtung Boris:
In the city of god there will be a great thunder, two brothers torn
apart by chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will
succumb, the third big war will begin when the big city is burning

nastradamus, 1654

Actually, this prophecy has been proven a fabrication that someone attributed to Nostradamus just to create some news. It's just the newest in urban legends.

The Nostradamus Prophecy Isn't Real

If you knew something about Nostradamus (which I didn't really until reading this link), you'll find that he lived from 1503-1566, so these people are saying he made a prediction after he'd already been dead 88 years.

The person who actually wrote this 'prophecy' included it on an essay about Nostradamus to show how easy it was to create an important-sounding prophecy by using abstract imagery.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 09-12-2001).]

Originally posted by Diemen:
Actually, this prophecy has been proven a fabrication that someone attributed to Nostradamus just to create some news. It's just the newest in urban legends.

The Nostradamus Prophecy Isn't Real

If you knew something about Nostradamus (which I didn't really until reading this link), you'll find that he lived from 1503-1566, so these people are saying he made a prediction after he'd already been dead 88 years.

The person who actually wrote this 'prophecy' included it on an essay about Nostradamus to show how easy it was to create an important-sounding prophecy by using abstract imagery.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 09-12-2001).]

thank you very much for illustrating this diemen.

"These predictions can often ring somewhat true in that the images employed are so general they can be found in almost every event of import, but by the same token, the prophesies are never a dead-on fit because the wordings are far too general. Not that this stops anyone from believing in them; our society's need for mysticism runs far too deep to ever allow for that."

foray did a good job at pointing this out to us as well.

~

If you wish to get prophetic:

An apparition by Mary at Medjugorjie revealed that "World War III," while originally intended to happen, will not happen, due to the faith and prayer of mankind over the last decade or so. Apparently, if you believe this to be true, God changed His mind and gave mercy to mankind.

However, prophesy and fraud do often go hand-in-hand. Think of this as you may.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Nostradamus, is really something. I've always found his prophecies interesting. Although, its hard for me to believe in them. First of all if you read his predictions, they are all so obscure and not specific at all, YET, when something terrible happens, its so easy to to compare it to one of his predictions. I think people make too much out his predictions. I mean Nostradamus has been credited by many believers for thousands of things. Even the whole rise and fall of Hitler, yet, his prediction had no mention of Germany or any of the like... he just made very obscure predictions that could later be easily, traced back to his prophecies! I dunno, Nastradamus....
tongue.gif
!

biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Friend of mine e-mailed me a version of that this morning. The first thing I thought was "Way too specific to be Nostradamus." Very little of anything he wrote was specific. Frankly, it would be quite easy to look like a prophet if you wrote as much as he did as vaguely as he did. Of course the post by Diemen demonstrates this.

Back
Top Bottom