I CAN BELIEVE THE NEWS TODAY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
I usually don't comment on 'this day in U2's history' but with these 3 events happening on the same day, I just couldn't resist.

This day in U2's history...

December 20, 1981: London, England

U2 returns from the U.S. tour to play the first of two sold out shows at London's Lyceum, receiving tremendous critical praise in the process. The shows are described in Record Mirror as "the gig of 1981."

I love to read about the early days and individuals seeing the "U2 fire" already burning brightly that continues like wildfire 20 years later.
-------------
December 20, 1982: 'Sunday, Bloody Sunday' plays in Belfast

U2 plays a show in Belfast, which hears "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" for the
first time. Introducing the song, Bono tells the audience it is not a rebel
song, and promises that if the crowd doesn't like it, they'll never play the
song in Belfast again. The crowd roars with approval when the song ends.

What it would have been like to be at this show and hear those militaristic drums and opening guitar chords for the very first time announcing the beginning of a song that Bono would declare "is not a rebel song" and being sung in the heart of the city to which it was written about.
-------------
December 20, 1987: U2 films for Rattle and Hum: Day two

On the second night of filming in Tempe, Arizona, Bono limits his antics and
the shoot is a great success. The concert is captured for the Rattle & Hum
movie.

I remember a friend and I making plans to go see this show while living in Los Angeles, but at $5.00 at ticket, the two shows sold out immediately. It is worthy to note that the first night was not shot for the film because of Bono's objection to all the pressure of filming before cameras that stifled his ability to be himself before the capacity crowd. Thank God that the second night turned around and we see the evidence of the magic of that show on the color section of Rattle and Hum, especially 'With or Without You' and the "will shine like stars in the summer night, we shine like stars in the winter night...one heart, one hope, one love."

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 12-20-2001).]

hey Chris thanks for the day in U2 news 12/20! I wonder if that concert in 87 in Tempe is when they filmed the Christmas (Baby Come Home) video. I was in Sears last night christmas shopping and that video came on the monitors and it looked like Rattle & Hum era U2. I just had to stop and watch it for the few minutes it is. I had never seen it before if you can believe that!

Chris, thanks for the gift! I LOVE IT! A return thought is on its way to ya
wink.gif

Anyways, call me stupid, but where is the day in U2's history? I have never seen that!

Hey Camilo...as far as the Christmas(Baby, Please Come Home) video being filmed at Tempe, I couldn't say. I can't tell whether the video is filmed inside an arena or outside, at say Tempe. I'm thinking in an arena, since they wanted to get the video out before Christmas, and the Tempe shows were December 19 and 20.

Hey Marisa, I'm glad you liked the show, and by the way, don't be embarrassed, I happened upon 'This Date In U2 History' when I started receiving @U2's mailing list each day, which I would recommend by the way. Anyways, here is where it can be found.
http://www.atu2.com/news/tdih/

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

Back
Top Bottom