I ask you. Have you reached your 'happiness peak' with U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
like, yeah, most of us here have a fav era, right? But is that 'your' peak with U2? What Im trying to say is, do you feel satisfied U2 have been there and done that when you look back? It kinda helps more those persons who have seen/heard U2 just about right from the beginnin or a little further on.......(ie - me
smile.gif
)

Im sure a lot of u are bound to know what Im talking about........I mean, as some know, PoP is my fav era.......for many, many reasons, both in music and concert........and how U2 have been since then hasnt bothered me really music or concert wise cause they have 'been there, done that', and made me fall in love with a U2 'era'...........that I can watch over and over or listen to for as long, for comfort and happiness, adrenalin rush and sadness, etc........

So really Im trying to find out if any one amongst you feels the same way...........that no matter what U2 do now, or did, after your fav era, it really doesnt/didnt matter because of how they were for that one time/moment for you..............they gave/give you joy.....and u can turn back at any time........

although Im sure anticipation did hold ur breath........but I never did after Pop.

It works for me..............its like I feel 'proud' of U2 experimenting with PoP, its like they challenged themselves as they do all the time, and it sure as hell breathed life into me!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

I really hope u understand what Im sayin....?

smile.gif

Hmm, I think I know what youre saying.

I got into U2 during War and for me they kind of peaked during JT/Rattle & Hum era. I have loved everything since and even liked other eras better than the JT era (my personal faves are Achtung Baby/Zooropa era and ATYCLB era). I really think that ATYCLB era has given me everything I could want and expect from U2. An accessible great sounding album, a bare bones tour with GENERAL ADMISSION just like old times! And them coming out and meeting the fans at some of the shows. It was just like the best of everything.

Hmm, was I supposed to pick just one era? I didnt mind the Pop era either, and I LOVED the show on ABC, the Pop thing that aired that had the Dennis Hopper narrative and ended with the live Do You Feel Loved performance in Vegas.

I feel very happy and content with what U2 has given me in my 19 years of fandom, I have definitely peaked in my happiness but it doesnt mean they cant make me happier.

I just dont expect it.

hmmm, yeah sorry U2LA maybe I do sound confusing, but its really if anyone out there were with U2 from the start and after all these eras they can look back and say, 'U know, after that, it didnt really matter, because they gave me something before it ended, with that one fav era'.....no?

frown.gif

Argh!

*maddie goes puts her head on chopping board*

I was happiest durin the JT and R and H times, that was my era and always will be! Love my country and western boys! I got happy again on the Elevation tour cuz they let us get inside that heart and get down with 'em!

------------------
I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock and roll.

I didn't see U2 live prior to Joshua Tree but for me, everything from Boy to The Unforgettable Fire was a magical era for the band. I was listening to their music at that time and they had a sort of mythology about them and I loved that mythology -- a spiritual, inclusive, sociopolitical mythology, and the music had a dreamlike quality that expressed it perfectly.

For me, as far as listening goes, perhaps U2's most exciting moment sonically and lyrically was Achtung Baby.

But! This last tour satisfied me like no other. I don't think of All That You Can't Leave Behind as their greatest work but this tour was the most powerful I have ever seen. I found the Elevation shows to be most compelling.

So I reached my "happiness peak" with Elevation! I'm satisfied but looking forward to more.

[This message has been edited by pub crawler (edited 05-21-2002).]

I reached my happiness peak with Elevation too! I loved them in the 80's, (fan since '83) appreciated them but maybe took them for granted during AB, wasn't pleased with Pop, and when ATYCLB and Elevation came I think I realized just how special this band was and how much they mean to me. I loved the album and the tour was the best ever! I went back and started really getting back into the old stuff, going through my collections and collecting more! I have never felt so strongly about them as I did last year, so I reached my happiness peak in 2001. The thrill has slowly started to fade since the tour ended and I don't want it to slip away so I'll keep coming here for my fix to hold me over until the next album!

------------------
~"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy,
I don't mind, think they're crazy
running everywhere at such a speed
'til they find, there's no need!
Please don't spoil my day,
I'm miles away,
and after all, I'm only sleeping!"~
John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 05-21-2002).]

Not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I'll try my best to answer.

For me, POP was just AMAZING. Popmart was the first time I ever got to experience U2 live, and they blew me away. I can't even find the words to describe how wonderful it was. Unfortunately, although I enjoyed myself with the Elevation show in Detroit, it didn't come close to my Popmart experiences. I find that I remember more about what happened on 10/31/97 than I do about 5/30/01. Weird, huh?

That said, Popmart reeled me in, and I doubt there's anything the band could do that would make me stop being a fan. It would be great if I could have a U2 experience in the future that would TOP Popmart. I'm all for it!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Hmmm...that's a toughie.

Much as i love AB's sound, i was too young to experience them live back then. And i wasn't into Pop so i didn't catch them then.
NOW i got to see their concert via TV. (ok, our TV and MTV Europe showed Zoo Sydney and Popmart Mexico, but it was aaaaaaaaaaaages ago and silly me didn't tape it)

And much as i enjoy Bono's voice in the 80's, my favorite vocal performance is ATYCLB. And this album touches me with its lyrics more than any other.

In this present era, i also was lucky to receive some burned U2 CDs (if someone would have said to me prior "Interference discovery" that i would get the CDs i wouldn't believe them). Also, for the first time, i was able to "follow up" the tour on the internet via fans stories.

So - my "peak" is right now.

I guess I haven't yet. I only got totally hooked on them last year. That peak of happiness will maybe happen during the next tour.
wink.gif

i think U2 has peaked for me several times, its kind of like a rollercoaster ride...i was too young to see the war and jt tours but i remember the excitement surrounding the jt tour and the videos premiering on mtv, i was elated! the same thing happened for ab and pop, the ride starts all over again with each new release...last year was amazing so i am excited to see where they take us next time!

------------------
Is it getting hot in here or is it just ADAM??
*+*MaRiA*+*

i'd say i have. i liked them best during their electronic stage, for achtung baby/zooropa/pop. also, i started really getting into them during achtung baby and saw them live for popmart! i just wasn't impressed with atyclb, which i've mentioned many times before.
smile.gif

------------------
i like the highlife and the lowlife. it's just the bit in between i find boring.
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom