I am making a U2 compilation and need some help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Basically what I'm doing is making two four-disc compilations... covering the 80s and the 90s. On the first discs I've put the hits, the second disc the 'rest' (other album tracks), the third discs the b-sides and rarities, and the fourth discs live versions of songs that have appeared on the previous three discs. The trouble I've run into is contemplating whether it's more a greatest hits/best of collection or a reflection of my tastes. At any rate, I've come down to the following list for disc four for the 80s compilation, all the live stuff. These are the songs I want to use, and where needed I'd like some opinions on what are the BEST live versions of those songs.

- Bullet the Blue Sky / Running to Stand Still / Where the Streets Have No Name (Zoo TV Sydney, 1993)
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock / The Ocean (need help!!)
- I Threw a Brick Through a Window / A Day Without Me (need help!!)
- The Cry / The Electric Co. (thinking of going with Vertigo tour here)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday (R&H version)
- Desire (Zoo TV version)
- Pride (need help!! liamcool, I'm sure you can give me a hand here. :wink: )
- Bad (thinking of going with R&H version, simply because the snippets kick ass)
- WOWY (need help!!)
- All I Want is You (need help - are there any versions which cover the whole album track?)
- '40' (need help!!)
- Party Girl (UABRS, unless there's a better version)
- One Tree Hill (Point Depot, nye 1989)
- Exit (need help!!)

Ultimately, I'll probably have to trim this back a bit, and I've already had to leave out An Cat Dubh / Into the HEart (which I did simply becaue I haven't a version which strays greatly from the studio, or is much better, but I stand to be impressed). Also remember there has to be good quality version of the song.

Thanks!!

One Tree Hill from either Auckland II from 2006 or 26th December from the Point Depot. In quality terms you'd be best served with the Point Depot.

Exit, just about any version. I'm partial to the one from the second to last show of the JT Tour, from Tempe.

- Bullet the Blue Sky / Running to Stand Still / Where the Streets Have No Name (Zoo TV Sydney, 1993)

I'm guessing by this you're partial to the Zoo version of these, Sydney is OK but I like the one from the 2nd Wembley gig in '93

- I Threw a Brick Through a Window / A Day Without Me (need help!!)

Probably go with 1981-12-13 Lido Beach, or 1982-03-17 New York

- Pride (need help!! liamcool, I'm sure you can give me a hand here. )

The Conspiracy of Hope versions are good, try to get a good version of 1986-06-15 East Rutherford (or the one from San Francisco with the fake Edge solo haha)

- Bad (thinking of going with R&H version, simply because the snippets kick ass)

R&H is good. My favorite is 1985-04-15 East Rutherford, but I think it's ~14 minutes so it will really fill up your disc

- WOWY (need help!!)

R&H or Paris DVD or 1989-12-30 Dublin

- All I Want is You (need help - are there any versions which cover the whole album track?)

1989-12-30 Dublin is my favorite by far, not the same outtro as on the cd though

- '40' (need help!!)

Some of the UF tour versions with the Band Aid snippets are cool, 1985-03-21 for one (Electric Co from this show is also great btw)

- One Tree Hill (Point Depot, nye 1989)

The '89 ones are good, probably 12-26 since the one from the 30th is missing the coda...but I also like the Vertigo versions

- Exit (need help!!)

Hmm anything, R&H is good

As for Pride, you should go for the 27th of December, 1989, I particularly like that one.

:up: Thanks a lot mate,I'll check out Rutherford for Pride. I hear they've played some decent concerts there. What were the Band Aid snippets played in Bad?

For BTBS I'd go for the ZooTv Dublin dates, much better energy and a more refined solo than the Sydney show.

So many to choose from, but these are my personal faves:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock / The Ocean: 1982-12-6 London (Live at the BBC recording).

I Threw a Brick Through a Window / A Day Without Me: 1982-7-4 Werchter (b-side)

Cry / Electric Co.: 1984-11-21 Dortmund (Vertigo Tour version did rock though).

WOWY: Rattle & Hum version with 1987-7-4 Paris (from the new DVD) in a close second.

40: 1987-04-29 Chicago (Rock's Hottest Ticket).

Here's some of my all time favourites:

- Sunday Bloody Sunday : Probably R&H version, but if you want a rendition with great sound quality and without the speech in the middle try the Washington 92 performance.
- Bad : I have so many favourites versions of this tune, but maybe the absolute best is 10th January 1990, incredible energy.
- WOWY : R & H for me.
- All I Want is You : 1st December Osaka 1989 is really interesting, but if you want something more in line with the album version try 30th December 1989 Point Depot.
-One Tree Hill :point Depot, 26th December1989.
- Exit : R&H or Paris 87, or Syracuse 87, or LA 87.

Back
Top Bottom