I am having second thoughts about Rattle and Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBrazilianFly said:

But it's so well recorded. it's professional recording. Was this on the tv at the time or something?

It was shot by a professional crew and the entire show was shot. It was never aired or broadcast and was not intended to be released or seen by anyone other than U2 and their crew. There are 2 other Joshua Tree tour Pro shot video/DVD's that are available in addition to LA. Syracuse and Paris, Paris isnt the greatest quality but still decent. LA is the best of the three though. Out Of Control at the LA 87 show is great, especially after the bridge, they really get into the song, or at least it appears they do! LOL The Joshua Tree to Lovetown period and Popmart are probebly my favorite periods of the band. I guess its just a coincidence that both time frames are when they took the most heat from the media and some fans.

Blue Room, when did fans give them heat in the R&H period? Some critics did, but that has been overhyped over the years, I really don't remember any in those days and if so it was insignificant and had no impact. If the Rattle and Hum movie didn't do as well at the box office as the album did in the stores, it had nothing to do with anyone thinking they were comparing themselves to Johnny Cash or whatever. The reasons were probably because it was in black and white, and second and most probable is that NO rock concert based movies do well at the box office because they have limited appeal. It is limited to only the fans of that particular band, and then only those who want to see a movie. The low box office draw of concert films, or all rock movies in general, is a reason they almost always ended up in the midnight movie in the 70's and 80's, and are now only in certain 'hip' theaters, but mostly they get spread around on videotapes and now DVDs. The difference with the Pop thing is that wasn't ony the media but some fans too. But you never heard any fans dissing them for JT and R&H.

U2Kitten said:
Blue Room, when did fans give them heat in the R&H period? Some critics did, but that has been overhyped over the years, I really don't remember any in those days and if so it was insignificant and had no impact. If the Rattle and Hum movie didn't do as well at the box office as the album did in the stores, it had nothing to do with anyone thinking they were comparing themselves to Johnny Cash or whatever. The reasons were probably because it was in black and white, and second and most probable is that NO rock concert based movies do well at the box office because they have limited appeal. It is limited to only the fans of that particular band, and then only those who want to see a movie. The low box office draw of concert films, or all rock movies in general, is a reason they almost always ended up in the midnight movie in the 70's and 80's, and are now only in certain 'hip' theaters, but mostly they get spread around on videotapes and now DVDs. The difference with the Pop thing is that wasn't ony the media but some fans too. But you never heard any fans dissing them for JT and R&H.

I never said the backlash from fans was big for R and H. From my personal experience though several of my U2 friends at the time heard Desire for the first time and thought they were starting to sellout or headed in that direction. I remember this very clearly as I got into some heated debates at the time disagreeing with them. Also the fact that they were making a huge cinema movie was perceived as selling out by some fans also at the time. I find it odd though that you think because you didnt hear any fans yourself saying it, that means that no fans were??? I dont and didnt really agree with people saying they were obviously if you read my whole post, but I do remember some fans disliking the direction of R and H quite a bit. Then factor in the media criticism and they did indeed take some heat during that period. Not as much as the POP period, but there were some fans who thought they had soldout at the time simply by making the movie. I think you are reading into what I was saying WAY to much. They took heat in both periods. Thats my point.

Last edited:
There was probably some fan everywhere dissing for each of their albums. We have the ATYCLB trashers here :sigh: But I still don't think there is any comparison between criticism of R&H and POP, since the entire JT era is generally thought of as the glory days, and the pinnacle, and POP is, right or wrong, usually thought of or referred to as a flop. (not including fans here of course!)

I see the Achtung Baby-Zooropa era as their glory days, cause that's when they were supposed to be in the gutter after all the criticism for R&H but they picked their instruments and reinvented themselves achieving something bigger than JT, you can see maybe them heading to R&H if you listen to JT but you can't see them heading to AB after listening to R&H. It's an amazing musical achievement plus that period had a great deal of U2 involving into the artistic side when the record is finished and getting hands on the whole tour coming up with the amazing Zoo TV!

Now about Rattle And Hum I don't know why people complain, it's very hard to follow a record as successful as JT and I think U2 did really well with R&H. Hawkmoon, Deire, Angel Of Harlem, God Part II (the only track where maybe you could see them heading to that AB kind of sound) are all amazing songs. Great lyrics, very strong and powerful singing from Bono, his most rock n? roll moment I think. Larry and Adam as tight as always and The Edge coming up with great guitar ideas as always, I feel like he's a better songwriter on R&H. One of my favorite songs on that record is Love Rescue Me, those lyrics are just AMAZING!!! Some great lines on that song, too bad we don't know who wrote what.... I love the live version of LR that ending with Bono screaming his lungs out show how amazing and full of soul he is. Very church like! I don't think there's anything wrong with them adding live songs on a record full of new songs. It really gives the feeling of it being a document of a moment. Even though people were saying U2 was too serious and stuff they obviously took that time to have fun, they did this awesome song with B.B. King, used very well that Bo Didley riff, had Bob Dylan in the record. A lot of important Americans and the record was I think about America too in a way so they picked the right people to be with them there. It's the first U2 record I ever got and one of my favorites.

U2Kitten said:
There was probably some fan everywhere dissing for each of their albums. We have the ATYCLB trashers here :sigh: But I still don't think there is any comparison between criticism of R&H and POP, since the entire JT era is generally thought of as the glory days, and the pinnacle, and POP is, right or wrong, usually thought of or referred to as a flop. (not including fans here of course!)

Fair enough, but I still stand by my point. The difference between ATYCLB is that the critics and media on the whole loved it and MOST fans at least like it. U2 took a bath with the critics twice in their career. Rattle And Hum and POP. Most fans dont regard R and H as one of their great albums and despite what you say I knew quite a few fans that were "concerned" about it back then. The critics and media hammered U2 during that time frame, so I dont know how that has been overhyped? They got very few good reviews for the album and pretty much no good reviews for the movie. Also, U2 and Principle obviously thought there was something to the R and H backlash here also as they have indicated it was one of the reasons they stayed away from the U.S. for so long. Its one of the reasons the Lovetown tour didnt come to N. America and one of the reasons they played it safe on the Zoo tour and started in arenas only. So I think my comparison is valid, you dont. Each their own. Maybe it was more of a N. American backlash. But I distinctly remember reading a Irish critic review of the album and it was scathing as well.

I like R and H though. Hawkmoon, God Part II and AIWIY are some of my favorite U2 songs. But as a cohesive album it is nowhere near their strongest.

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:
Now about Rattle And Hum I don't know why people complain, it's very hard to follow a record as successful as JT and I think U2 did really well with R&H. Hawkmoon, Deire, Angel Of Harlem, God Part II (the only track where maybe you could see them heading to that AB kind of sound) are all amazing songs. Great lyrics, very strong and powerful singing from Bono, his most rock n? roll moment I think. Larry and Adam as tight as always and The Edge coming up with great guitar ideas as always, I feel like he's a better songwriter on R&H. One of my favorite songs on that record is Love Rescue Me, those lyrics are just AMAZING!!! Some great lines on that song, too bad we don't know who wrote what.... I love the live version of LR that ending with Bono screaming his lungs out show how amazing and full of soul he is. Very church like! I don't think there's anything wrong with them adding live songs on a record full of new songs. It really gives the feeling of it being a document of a moment. Even though people were saying U2 was too serious and stuff they obviously took that time to have fun, they did this awesome song with B.B. King, used very well that Bo Didley riff, had Bob Dylan in the record. A lot of important Americans and the record was I think about America too in a way so they picked the right people to be with them there. It's the first U2 record I ever got and one of my favorites.

Well said about the whole album.

Yeah, seeing as this album has "Angel Of Harlem" on it, you know, that alone is enough to make it a good album in my eyes. :D. But the other songs you mentioned are awesome, too :)heart:s "Love Rescue Me", too-you're right, those lyrics are incredible).

Angela

I really don't find much wrong with the album, it was just the movie that seemed to paint U2 with an image of taking themselves too seriously and aligning themselves with rock legends when U2 were only 27 years old at the time.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Well said about the whole album.

Yeah, seeing as this album has "Angel Of Harlem" on it, you know, that alone is enough to make it a good album in my eyes. :D. But the other songs you mentioned are awesome, too :)heart:s "Love Rescue Me", too-you're right, those lyrics are incredible).

Angela

Thank You.

Angel Harlem is a great track indeed. One of the reasons why I love U2 is that the can do anything, they wanted to do a song reminiscent of the old 50's rock n' roll and they came up with Angel of Harlem which definitely got something from that period in it. One of Bono's best vocals. I think Love Rescue Me lyrics might be my favorite, but I'm not sure. :up:

david said:
I really don't find much wrong with the album, it was just the movie that seemed to paint U2 with an image of taking themselves too seriously and aligning themselves with rock legends when U2 were only 27 years old at the time.

I never heard that said anywhere but on VH-1 Legends. So what if they went to the same studios as country legends, they were in America and showing an interest in some of their heroes and inspiration. My Grandmother visited the Grand Ole Opry and took her picture therel, does that mean she was aligning herself with legends? Gee whiz. :tsk: They knew they were young and honored to be in the presence of BB King, remember when he told Bono "you mighty young to be writing such heavy lyrics" U2 should still be proud of what they had accomplished at 27, the age many other rock stars died of drug overdoses.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Thank You.

Angel Harlem is a great track indeed. One of the reasons why I love U2 is that the can do anything, they wanted to do a song reminiscent of the old 50's rock n' roll and they came up with Angel of Harlem which definitely got something from that period in it. One of Bono's best vocals.

:yes:. Exactly. I just adore that song-definitely one of the best songs they've ever done.

Oh, and you're welcome. :).

Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
I think Love Rescue Me lyrics might be my favorite, but I'm not sure. :up:

Heh, it's hard to choose, I know.

Originally posted by Seabird
U2 should still be proud of what they had accomplished at 27, the age many other rock stars died of drug overdoses.

Very, very true-good point, indeed.

Angela

BluRmGrl said:
You know, it's funny....as someone who was already a U2 "headcase" :wink: by the time R&H was released, I honestly never saw the album or the movie as anything more than 4 musicians paying tribute to some of their own idols. Maybe it's 'cuz I was (am?) just a simple-minded little southern bumpkin, or maybe it's because the album was about 4 musicians paying tribute to some of their own idols!!
Yeah maybe we're just both southern bumpkins :wink: , but I never understood the criticism that the band was putting themselves up with the rock idols or whatever. I've heard it on and off before. That criticism doesn't make sense when I watch R&H and see how starry-eyed Bono looks when he's reading his lyrics to BB King, or when I see Larry in tears when they go to Graceland.

Another confession I guess, :sigh: I loved the movie, I was straight up obsessed with them by the time it came out anyway. I must have snuck into the theatre 25 times to see it, and sometimes I even got a friend to go with me. :reject: I'm on a DVD now after two VHS tapes. I love every U2 DVD I have though, they're all pretty different but I don't think they neccesarily have to exclude each other.

Back
Top Bottom