I am disapointed in HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sure is O.K. HelloAngel. I don't love "The Joshua Tree". I think it's a very safe album with barely any distinction in sound between the songs (barring a token exception or two). I think it's preachy, with overly simple guitars and operatic vocals. Yet, I still feel it's the best album of 1987.

In other words, one can like - as opposed to love - an album yet still be a fan.

I find HTDAAB is far better than "Pop", ATYCLB and "Zooropa". It's their best work since AB, IMO. It has experimental tracks, is much harder in sound and is more complex. Song for song, it is better than those 3 albums. It's not U2's best, but then, does it have to be?

However, for everyone that dislikes HTDAAB, all I can say is :yawn:. I read and heard the same things with R&H, AB, "Zooropa", "Pop" and ATYCLB. Nothing new here. I truly am starting to wonder - is it U2 that needs to change, or the fanbase? :scratch:

Ive NOT GOT THE ALBUM yet!!! dont think ill spend my $ one this yet. i have the mp3s but this album is too radio friendly(not my style on music) too safe and too pop... no big statements no big sound and no fucking guitar solos(ex the fly or btbs live) ya me no like this album. LAPOE is nice and sycmoyo but the rest zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ya borrrrrring!

ill actuall take a sign to u2's concert it will say.

GIVE ME ROCKnROLL OR GO HOME!

htdaab rocks as much as a cold play album!!!!!!!!!!!

a sad time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and too every one who says this is the best album hellooooo

new music helllooooo i bet 100$ that in a year htdaab and atyclb will be two crap u2 albums and as bono says!!!!!!!!!!!

ya man this is a poor album, realy edge how long did it take for you to come up with that 5 sec solo for aboy :mad:

im sorry for writing all this but i have to get all this out... but i have to let u2 no that

WERE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ,,,,,NO WEE AINT GONNA TAKE IT WERE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!
:mad:

jackboy said:
this is U2's best album

I agree.

I did not like AB much at all for a LONG time. It all sounded the same to me, plus it had boring songs. I thought.

Now I think it's a classic. It took me almost 10 years to realize that. But it truly is a classic.

I love HTDAAB, and end-to-end I think it's their best.

But I may feel differently in 5-10 years. Time is what defines a classic. I cannot label this a classic yet. It seems like it could be, but only time will tell.

stop putting down the people that enjoy this album please, yes fair enough you dont like it, but some people do, and its upto them you have no right to decide if they like it or not, oh and one other thing, please dont buy tickets for the new tour, give the people that like the album the chance, thanks

If U2 did everything that the fanbase wanted on the same album that album would be a unbelievable mess of a record.....To put all the concepts of over 10 albums into one....that is a challenge i dont even think they could accomplish....although I am sure people would still complain.

haha im going to buy all the tickets and then burn them hahah then u2 will play all the crap songs from htdaab to an empty hall and when they actually play songs that kick arss like btbs or new years day ill listen hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to please everybody. It's the one mistake I see people try to do, more than any other. Someone will ALWAYS be disappointed. Someone will ALWAYS be thrilled.

That's why we're human.

what the fuck

this is a record dealing with bonos dad and accepting death. it has a theme to live up to. i dont think rawking out was the main objective when bono wrote those lyrics about losing his dad

Lets face it the U2 fanbase is just spoiled rotton, no matter what U2 do from now on people will be saying other things are better. I guess I am a lucky one and have seen great things to come out of every album, its like building blocks all building on each other.

LiveFire said:
Yeah I feel the same way about it as you guys. At first it was great new U2 music. Then you just realize how simple the songs are rythymically. There's virtually no dynamics in the rythyms you just have Adam and Larry doing a click track for Edge and Bono who are pretty much just painting by the numbers.

I feel there's going to be a pretty big backlash against this album in the next year or so. It just seems to be such a mediocre album at best that people will realize just how flat it is after they've played it as much as AB or JT.

I posted about this a week or two ago about the rythym section. The drums are especially basic when you compare it too earlier U2, especially 90's stuff and even U2 80's.

u2 finally make 2 crap albums in a row!!!

Do you guys think HTDAAB sounds like a coldplay album because thats what i hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The problem with some of Edge's solos on the record are that they sound like he's done them before (All Because of You, Crumbs from your table) to name just 2. But thats not the main problem, I reckon it's down to all the quotes that were coming from the band for the last 3 years like "Edge is doing extraordinary things with the guitar" how many times did we hear this and when you get the album there doesn't sound anything thats out of the ordinary to me. Now if they were saying this before Achtung Baby now that would be telling the truth.

oh man ACHTUNG BABY:drool: if it were a girl id have sex with it!!! htdaab is like its ugly sister!!!!!! and whats up with the album cover???????????i still cant believe people bought that u2 ipod:banghead:

Last edited:
well, first of all, I don't know if shaun vox is trying to be funny here or not, but if he's serious, he's an ideot. I don't say that because I dissagree with him, I say it because of his incoherent and rambling posts.

Moving on, those of you who don't like HTDAAB, that's fine with me. My suggestion is to put it away for a year, then pull it out again some time down the road and sit down and listen to it. sometimes certain albums will just hit you out of nowhere. If you still don't like it, then that's fine too. 'Twas just a suggestion. :wink:

i give up..... honest to god, yes us U2 fans are really the best in the world.. hmmmm

oh yep... so thats what we have come to is it? getting personal... this is a new low for this forum

I dont want to sound like an asshole here, which I already do, but regardless, I think that if somebody cannot write an intellegent and coherent post, then they should be here. Compared to most forums I have seen, this one is a relatively intelligent and composed group. If we let people like Shaun keep rambling on wIT biGG "!!!" PPOINTS and capsLOK ALL THE TI:mad: ME, then I think it something should be done or at least noticed.

The people that are posting in this thread really need to go to listen to a band like Bon Jovi that sound the same all the time that way they will always be satisfied with the material. :wink:

By the way if you can find a band that writes things that sound like Achtung Baby album after album I would like to know who they are.

chill out god some people

ill type any way i want to ok and i will say whats on my mind do i tell you to shut up or tell you what to type NO!

Last edited:
no he does have a point..... either let people enjoy the album, or critise it without trying to make people not like the album, simple as that

Think it might be their best - or pretty near JT and AB if it's not. And this is one week on from the UK (for me Scottish) release. Yahweh is the standout at the moment. This is the band at maybe their most emotional and vulnerable - not a safe record at all. And the performances I've seen on UK tv have been awesome - at their emotional and connecting best. Looking forward to seeing the NY broadcast - December 8th isn't it?

Well, I agree with that...the album is very good!!
Every song is personal and the music really fits bono's voice and lyrics....I mean, I love the sad and mysterious sound of One step closer............everything about the album is great

Scott900 said:
Think it might be their best - or pretty near JT and AB if it's not. And this is one week on from the UK (for me Scottish) release. Yahweh is the standout at the moment. This is the band at maybe their most emotional and vulnerable - not a safe record at all. And the performances I've seen on UK tv have been awesome - at their emotional and connecting best. Looking forward to seeing the NY broadcast - December 8th isn't it?

This album has to be the most varied album U2 has ever done for just one reason. I've never seen so many idfferent people with a different favorite song from any U2 album yet. I think I have seen at LEAST10 people for every song that's their favorite. What I mean is, there are tons of people who think MIracle Drug is their favorite, tons who think OOTS is their favorite, even One Step Closer, A Man and A Woman, Yahew etc. Even Fast Cars, Mercy, and just amazing responce to this album.

IMO the only true test of how good an album is how well it stands the test of time. HTDAAB sounds great now but will it in 2 years time? Nobody can know that yet - lot's of people I knew were very disappointed with AB when it came out but that is now widely viewed (rightly so) as their 2nd masterpiece.

HTDAAB can be put in it's proper persepctive once all the dust has settled on the tour, not before then.

Back
Top Bottom