Hypothetical Situation #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would say AB but i'm also seeing the point some guy have about it being a bit "difficult" for a newbie to get into or understand.

the best of's probably are the best idea, that way they get a broad range of all the good stuff over the years and will pretty soon discover the god-likeness of AB and others through that

OzAurora said:
Achtung Baby....if the intro to Zoo Station didnt get them in, then I wouldnt waste any more time on them, they obviously dont get great music:huh:

That's what got me. I was 13 and I'd never heard anything like it. My friends father had, at that time, the best stereo EVER. I owned Rattle & Hum and liked it, had heard The Fly and thought it was damn good. My friend buys Achtung and we go around to his (it had only just been released). Crank it on this stereo having never heard anything but The Fly. Didn't move till the whole album was done. I'd say that was the first huge musical lightening rod that hit me. I saved up my pocket money and bought it as soon as I could. I'm onto my 3rd copy now, having worn the others into the ground.

BUT back on topic. I think the two Best Of's are the best way. Here's an overview. What are your favourites? Here are those albums.

I don't think it should be POP or Zooropa... they are too experimental and might throw some people off.

Definitely either AB or JT. They have their best songs!

I don't think the 'experiemental' stuff is too much---it might be intriguing if you can explain why Bono is running around in horns during some songs :wink: For me, the social/political/Biblical allegories and references were what really attracted me to the band after the initial infatuation with thier sound.

Achtung, Baby

HERE IS ANOTHER HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION:
Let's say a friend of yours is really into crappy pop punk like Good Charlotte. :madspit: But she is also very religious and likes Christian rock. In your usual way of bringing U2 into any possible conversation, you tell her that U2's second album, October, is extremely religious and that she should listen to it. You know however that, based on your friend's usual musical taste, she won't respond well to the sound of October, though she will like the content. Not wanting to worsen her opinion of U2 by lending her only October, you want to give her another cd, as well.

What other U2 album would respond well to the up beat punk sound that she is used to? I was thinking Boy, but it's a pretty dark album and sounds much more like 70's punk then Good Charlotte ever will.

Back
Top Bottom