(Hypothetical)HTDAAB and AB, Hyper-theoretically...massively related LPs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBeThere

War Child
Please excuse me if there's already a thread like this..

couldn't find one digging in the first couple pages and couldn't get back to sleep without posting on this somehow...

but I can't stop thinking about how this is going to be such the companion album to AB!

I know this sort of stuff is in the ether already, the sun/moon ideas...
it's just that my current version of vertigo fever is
making me turn AB lyrics around
in that space between dreams and not be able to stop hearing
for instance "Trying to Throw Your Arms around the World" and
having it become 'trying to change your mind about the world'
for HTDAAB.

Making that sex/moon/night thing of AB
turn into a sun/love/day thing for HTDAAB

Is Munch's Scream a nighttime scene? because I feel in vertigo
like the screamer came in from that night to tell us his scary story
in the glaring day of HTDAAB
while Dali came from the surreal blinding light of his baked
earth to visit the lads in Achtung Baby!

So far too I'm feeling HTDAAB is really bad for sex (just having vertigo playing in my head takes the thrill away...like sex with the lights on waay too bright),
but it's great for parenting!
The AB version of love you do in the nighttime
while very intoxicated...
The HTDAAB you do in daytime while very sober.

So I'm hoping Miracle Drug gives me back my sex drive!!!

cuz I can't sleep...though I should go try again now...

cheers!

Last edited:
I definetly see a strong relation too.... Here's a post I made in the Timing of HTDAAB thread:

See the more and more I examine Vertigo the more I see it as a starting point. I most definetly see a central character arising from the song and it seems the conflict the character has is dealing with his spirituality. I think the sense of vertigo is from the flurry of man-made concepts of God that one sees everywhere. What is real? What is truth? The concept of grace is something that even believers find very very hard to believe; it seems almost too good to be true but one will never feel complete until their "God-shaped hole" is properly filled instead of continuously being patched over with God-substitutes. (Maybe the end track of Grace on ATYCLB ties right into Vertigo?) I almost feel like the verse that speaks of not being able to stand the beats symbolizes a sense of disgust in the constant barage and a feeling of suffocation is driving the character to try and hide and then he sees the girl with Jesus around her neck. The Bible says that God made us in his image...and in both man and woman is His image. Jesus (God) + Woman (love) = wholeness. These seems to help explain other track titles as well....

The Achtung Baby LP deals with a character exploring the nature of love in earthly forms. Perhaps How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb addresses the heavenly expression of love?

well..if the description from Q is correct..its unlikely:) Seriously though, I believe you may be on to something. One line I found telling that q revealed in the preview was from A Man and a Woman- "never take a chance on losing love to find romance"...and it almost sounds like we are looking at the moon of AB from the sunlight of HTABB....

Well until you hear the music, how can we pretend to know?
I would guess that it's thematically more similar to ATYCLB life/death issues and sonically more like Achtung, in guitar and rhythym section.

But that's just a guess, check back in a couple of months ;)

popsadie said:
and it almost sounds like we are looking at the moon of AB from the sunlight of HTABB....

ooh, I like that!

Well until you hear the music, how can we pretend to know?

absolutely, we can't pretend to *know*, but somehow this issue has grabbed hold of my dreamlife, and I'm getting impatient!

:reject:

cheers all!

Last edited:
The thing I'm wondering is why vertigo ends with..."you're teaching me how to kneel"...its a declaration of sorts and leaves you feeling like clarity is seeping through the ego-faith-lust concoction of vertigo. Beautiful Day set the tone with "teach me love..I know I'm not a hopeless case", so I feel this line may be significant to the album as whole?

Yes.

I'm kinda seeing Vertigo like this. It's an introducation to an exploration of oneself in relation to everything else. Maybe the vertigo is a sense of dizzyness in trying to discover the real Creator in a mass of so many man-made images of God. One reason this really strikes me is I once heard Bono saying how men can take God who is immense and awe inspiring and recreate Him in thier own images--which are tiny and pathetic. Bono could be crying out for God to just answer him in the lyric, "Hello hello...I'm in a place called Vertigo".

In this part: "Your head can't rule your heart
A feeling so much stronger
Than a thought"
It could be talking about that "God-shaped hole" everyone has in there heart. The idea of grace is very hard for even a believer to accept...it seems almost too good to be true. But yet you feel incomplete without it. But often pride is the last thing one must deal with before accepting a something stronger than yourself.

About the girl w/Jesus round her neck: Why can't he stand the beats? Maybe because he is feeling so suffocated and trapped by his struggles with the concept of the true nature of God he feels he needs to escape and then he runs into that girl, who is carefree and dancing. Like a sign perhaps? Or even a crossroads where a choice must be made?

"Your love is teaching me..."--A renewing of the soul and mind as a result of finally releasing the pride and control. This "immense and awe inspiring" force is quite literally bringing the character to his knees...

Again I really wish I could find that other thread, I explained it so much better.... :huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom