Huge but fascinating article in "Uncut" about Joshua Tree!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

Just thought Id let you know that there is a mag out now here in the UK called "Uncut" with U2 on its front cover with the words "U2 The Joshua Tree - The Rock Epic That Conquered The World".

I bought it this morning and wow, its a huge but fascinating account of how Joshua Tree was inspired right from the aftermath of Live Aid to the release of the album itself and beyond. I cannot type all of it here obviously as the article is too long (16 pages of material long along with rare and exclusive photos by Anton Corbijn). But once I have read all of it, I will type some of the highlights here.

It also has a free 24 track CD titled "In God's Country" - the music that inspired "The Joshua Tree" with the following tracks:

Johnnie Allen - The Promised Land
Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Elvis Presley - Maybellene
Blind Willie McTell - Lay Some Flowers On My Grave
Mose Allison - Parchman Farm
Billie Holiday - Stormy Weather
Woody Guthrie - This Land is Your Land
Patsy Cline - Walkin' after Midnight
Robert Johnson - If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day
Jimmie Rodgers - In The Jailhouse Now
Big Bill Broonzy - How You Want It Done
BB King - When My Heart Beats Like A Hammer
Tommy McLain - Sweet Dreams
Big Joe Williams - Dont You Leave Me Here
The Staple Singers - When Will We Be Paid
Ramblin' Jack Elliott - Grand Coulee Dam
Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys - Goodbye Old Pal
William Bell - Born Under A Bad Sign
The Rhythm Wreckers - Blue Yodel No 2
Jesse Fuller - San Francisco Bay Blues
The Nite Owls - Memphis Blues
John Lee Hooker - Crawling King Snake
Bill Landford - Run For A Long Time
Molly O'Day & The Cumberland Mountain Folks - Heaven's Radio

Hmmm, apart from the likes of Billie Holiday, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Woody Guthrie and Elvis Presley, I dont know the rest so Im looking forward to listening to them!

I do hope the magazine is available in US cos I think the article is amazing and fascinating and a must read for anyone who loves Joshua Tree like myself!

dougal

I'm waiting for the magazine's website to post the article.. which should be soon... I would type it up from the magazine but I don't agree with stealing an article that big.

Hi Angel!

OK thats fine....I have no problem with that.....However, the whole article has been posted at atu2.com so its there for anyone to read, I just found out....So I dont really need to post the article here after all! My typing have been saved! lol :D

dougal

Well just bought it in town and it is a bloody long article! Very good though, I've read half, I'll read the other half later.

Like the CD a lot! :up:

Hate to mention any other websites but I know that another U2 site has posted the article. I'm not sure where it's @. U2. @. U2. You do the math.

Tee hee

Wow, what an unenjoyabe article. About 1 paragraph focused on the music, the rest on media perceptions. :down:

Last edited:
a lot of the information from the article is well known but a good read never the less

Well, I have just read the whole article now and, as Im a huge fan of the band, you are in some ways right, Mr Brau1... I mean sure there were some things I already knew but I can tell you that there are certainly some things there I didnt know or had forgotten. Like I didnt realise that Bob Dylan had a hand in the lyrics of Hawkmoon 269! And I always assumed that the the name Hawkmoon was taken from an hotel not realising its actually a Dakota backwater town! God, I thought Im a huge fan but now I ought to read all my literature again to catch up! lol! :D

Anyway, MrBrau1 it might not be interesting to you but its certainly interesting to anyone new to U2 and to those U2 fans who wanted to know more about the album.

Martha, some pictures were already seen before but there are some photos which I have not seen before. I first followed U2 back in 1985 so I know what Im talking about when it comes to photos. The unseen photos include one group photo with Bono (in a black long coat) looking down while the others looked towards the camera all standing by a wrecked car to their right and amongst some snow. They looked very serious in that one! Another one featured Bono inhaling a cigar while looking down by the side of what looks like a bus. Another featured a group photo in front of the Harmony Hotel sign (I have seen individual photos under the same sign but not sure if I have seen group photos). Overall, its not bad.

dougal

I read the article last night and was just getting more and more annoyed with it. It would have been cool if Uncut actually did new interviews with new perceptions on The Joshua Tree instead of using every other magazine and U2 Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum-era related book they could get their hands on.

And I'm sorry, Eamon Murphy's book is NOT the best book on U2. Bill Flannagin (sp) wrote that one, "U2 - At the end of the world". That is, bar none, the best book and until Bill writes another one (which I wish he would have done during the Pop era to complete the cycle, but I'm just nitpicky that way) there won't be another great book about the band.

- whew - now I need a nap

OK, so it's NOT Eamon Murphy (not sure where I got that from) but Eamonn McCann. My mistake, I take my humble pie with an iced-coffee please.

I think Eamon Dunphy's book "U2 The Unforgettable Fire" is better than the Flanagan book for the reason that it covers their early lives through the JT era, while Flanagan's book only covers AB. They are really good companion books then, with Flanagan's being the sequel. I prefer the boys in Dunphy's book to the bunch in u2@teotw, but that's just my feelings. What I'd really like is a book of their ENTIRE lives and career!

dougal55 said:
Well, I have just read the whole article now and, as Im a huge fan of the band, you are in some ways right, Mr Brau1... I mean sure there were some things I already knew but I can tell you that there are certainly some things there I didnt know or had forgotten. Like I didnt realise that Bob Dylan had a hand in the lyrics of Hawkmoon 269!

I haven't read the full article, but I did see a short piece about U2 & Bob Dylan. IIRC, it didn't say that Bob Dylan had a hand in the lyrics of Hawkmoon 269. He did play the Hammond organ on that track (as the liner notes in the R&H booklet reveal) and he did have a hand in the lyrics of Love Rescue Me (which are credited to Bono & Bob Dylan).

C ya!

Marty (waiting for the magazine to appear in the Netherlands...)

I picked this up at South Coast Plaza today. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but the pix are cool. The wrecked car one and the one with the mill in the background are taken at Bodie, the same place those other "ghost town" pix were taken. I still haven't been able to figure out that watertower area yet. Jezebel once thought it was Wonder Valley, out in the Mojave, but I don't think so. I'll find it, don't worry.

It was also nice to read Anton put to rest all the crap about the tree being in JT National Park. But the cover photo for the cd sure looks like JTNP!

Back
Top Bottom