HTDAAB vs. Hot Fuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
i love U2. i love The Killers. i love HTDAAB. i love Hot Fuss. but which album is better?

1. Vertigo vs. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine = Vertigo. All the way. Jenny is good, but Vertigo is a super track.

2. Miracle Drug vs. Mr. Brightside = close, but Miracle Drug takes it. it's so much deeper lyrically than Brightside is.

3. SYCMIOYO vs. Smile Like You Mean It = Smile Like You Mean It is great, but SYCMIOYO is, again, so much better in it's meaning and importance.

4. LaPoE vs. Somebody Told Me = Love and Peace. No doubt.

5. City of Blinding Lights vs. All These Things That I've Done = ahh, the battle of the 2 biggest songs on the albums! CoBL wins, but ATTTID gives a nice run at it.

6. All Beause of You vs. Andy You're a Star = again, very close, but again, U2 wins. Andy You're a Star is a pretty out-there song, though i love it.

7. A Man and a Woman vs. On Top = wow, this is close. very close. but the Killers win this round! On Top is pure magic. Best song on the album.

8. Crumbs From Your Table vs. Change Your Mind = Crumbs has a great message and all, but i like the music of Change Your Mind better. Killers win again!

9. One Step Closer vs. Believe Me, Natalie = One Step Closer wins. I never really liked Natalie that much.

10. Original of the Species vs. Midnight Show = Original wins. Midnight Show is great, but doesn't compare.

11. Yaweh vs. Everything Will Be Alright = this one goes to the Killers. EWBA is such a GREAT song! Yaweh isn't as good.

12. Fast Cars vs. Indie Rock n' Roll = battle of the 2 alternate songs. Indie Rock n' Roll wins, but Xanax & Wine would have knocked out both.

thats U2 8, Killers 4.

There is only one song on The Killers album which I consider to be really good, and that's 'All These Things That I've Done'. However, City of Blinding Lights is now one of my favourite songs from the album, so it loses out.

U2 12, The Killers 0.
I'd be interested to see what would happen if HTDAAB was pitted against X&Y :hmm:

yeah, The Killers are a glorified Alternative Duran Duran for this decade

doesn't mean I don't like them, only when I phase out the amazing lyrics....

I love Hot Fuss but I wouldn't even begin to compare it to HTDAAB. Probably a comparison with Boy would be more accurate since they're both debut albums, but then again Boy would win anyway.

It's funny to compare a young band's debut album with the album of a band that's been around since the late 70s. :shrug: But like discothequeLP, I know alot of young people these days that are and have been very affected by the Killers' album, much like I was when Achtung Baby came out.

:lmao:

This thread just cracks me up.

No-one will even remember The Killers in five years, and thank goodness for that.

Axver said:
No-one will even remember The Killers in five years, and thank goodness for that.

We don't know that yet, dude. The Killers album has been huge, and people have really connected with the band. I think the only true conclusion we can draw about The Killers' longevity will be after their sophomore album comes out. I'm willing to give them that growth period to show and prove their merit.

yeah...let's see with the killers...they obviously are no u2, nor will they be...however, they are one of the few bands out there today that i think might have a promising future

HelloAngel said:

We don't know that yet, dude. The Killers album has been huge, and people have really connected with the band. I think the only true conclusion we can draw about The Killers' longevity will be after their sophomore album comes out. I'm willing to give them that growth period to show and prove their merit.

:bow:

Spoken so well, HelloAngel.

The killers are crap. Somebody told me and Smile Like You Mean it are crap songs. Two reasons not to buy the album! Makes me fuc#ing laugh at the crap bands that people go on about like The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs being really great bands. But in all truth they are strum happy useless punk bands. Fuc#ing dross! I don't rate that highly U2's latest couple of albums but they piss all over the crap that these bands put out!:wink:

Last edited:
1. Vertigo vs. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine = Vertigo

2. Miracle Drug vs. Mr. Brightside = Miracle Drug

3. SYCMIOYO vs. Smile Like You Mean It = Smile Like You Mean It

4. LaPoE vs. Somebody Told Me = Love and Peace.

5. City of Blinding Lights vs. All These Things That I've Done = City of Blinding Lights

6. All Beause of You vs. Andy You're a Star = All Because of You

7. A Man and a Woman vs. On Top = On Top (best song on album)

8. Crumbs From Your Table vs. Change Your Mind = Crumbs

9. One Step Closer vs. Believe Me, Natalie = Beleive Me Natalie

10. Original of the Species vs. Midnight Show = Original

11. Yaweh vs. Everything Will Be Alright = Everything
will be alright -- good sing along

12. Fast Cars vs. Indie Rock n' Roll = Indie Rock n' Roll

The Killers are one of the best bands around at the moment, and Hot Fuss beats HTDAAB every day of the week.

Vertigo vs JWAFOM - Vertigo wins.
Miracle Drug vs Mr. Brightside - Mr Brightside is so much better than Miracle Drug. Miracle drug is just so empty for me, a throwaway song.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own vs Smile Like You Mean It - I love Smile, but I guess Sometimes is one of the great songs and wins in this battle.
LAPOE vs Somebody Told Me - Somebody Told Me, too much funk.
COBL vs All These Things That I've Done - Easy. ATTTID is fucking good, and COBL is average.
All Beause of You vs Andy You're a Star - I dislike both songs immensely, I couldn't pick a winner. Tie.
A Man and a Woman vs On Top - Too easy. On Top is a great greatsong and wins all day (despite it sounding like they drafted in Edge on guitar).
Crumbs From Your Table vs Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll - Crumbs, thought I'm not a huge fan of either.
One Step Closer vs Believe Me, Natalie - Haha. No Contest, Believe Me, Natalie wins. OSC is nice and all, but BMN is a really fantastic song that I love whilst One Step is just a bit too ambient.
Original of the Species vs Midnight Show - Original wins. Original is the best song on U2's album, so obviously will win.
Yaweh vs Everything Will Be Alright - Again this one goes to U2, as I really dislike EWBA. And Yahweh is just one of those songs that whilst I don't consider it a favourite, I enjoy it alot every time I hear it.
Fast Cars vs Change Your Mind - Hmm. 3 in a row for U2, Fast Cars is really good and the sort of interesting new sound they should be striving for more often.

Suprisingly U2 came up narrow 6-5 winners, disputing my earlier comment that Hot Fuss is better than HTDAAB. But I stand by that, I enjoy the good songs on Hot Fuss more and if I had changed one or two songs in the order I'm sure it could have just as easily come out on top. Either way one is a fantastic debut by a great new band, the other is a decent album by a 25 year old band. And from the latter I do want a bit more.

If The Killers are one of the best bands around today then music really is in a terrible state.:wink:

music is going into it's usual regression back to a previous decade

the late 90s pop = late 70s disco/pop
early 00s indie/alternative= early 80s punk/new wave

does anyone else feel this way?

I don't feel that way LemonMacPhisto. I think this whole indie music sounds 80s getup is as overdone as Coldplay sounding like U2.

I do find it incredibly annoying that some people turn their noses up at bands like the Killers. Sure the lyrics might not be the best and yeah they are poppy, but they make some good sounds and thats all I care about. Plus I like a wide enough variety of music to know what is just plain crap. The Killers aren't it.

rjhbonovox said:
If The Killers are one of the best bands around today then music really is in a terrible state.:wink:

I agree entirely with this.

i dont think the killers are THAT good, but they sound good, but hot fuss as a whole isnt that great, its mostly a gimmick band, you like it, then its ok, then not so great, so on and so forth, the only band people gotta look out for is franz ferdinand:drool:

The Killers are just terrible..one of those bands that makes me wonder how they got so big in such a short time..I mean the lyrics to Indie Rock And Roll (cringeworthy title too) and All These Things That I've Done, just pure cheese, IMO.

1. Vertigo vs. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine = Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug vs. Mr. Brightside = Mr. Brightside
3. SYCMIOYO vs. Smile Like You Mean It = SYCMIOYO
4. LaPoE vs. Somebody Told Me = Love and Peace Or Else
5. City of Blinding Lights vs. All These Things That I've Done = City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Beause of You vs. Andy You're a Star = All Because Of You
7. A Man and a Woman vs. On Top = On Top
8. Crumbs From Your Table vs. Change Your Mind = Crumbs From Your Table
9. One Step Closer vs. Believe Me, Natalie = One Step Closer
10. Original of the Species vs. Midnight Show = Original Of The Species
11. Yaweh vs. Everything Will Be Alright = Yahweh
12. Fast Cars vs. Indie Rock n' Roll = Indie Rock n' Roll

U2 9
The Killers 3

Hmmm... haven't got "Change Your Mind" on my Killers album.

1. Vertigo vs. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine = Love both tracks, but I'll go for Vertigo, just.

2. Miracle Drug vs. Mr. Brightside

3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own vs. Smile Like You Mean It ...
SYCMIOYO, easily.

4. Love And Peace Or Else vs. Somebody Told Me ...
LAPOE, no contest, best song on the album.

5. City of Blinding Lights vs. All These Things That I've Done ...
All These Things That I've Done wins this one, for some reason I find COBL quite boring.

6. All Beause of You vs. Andy You're a Star ...
Neither.

7. A Man and a Woman vs. On Top ...
AMAAW, very underrated I feel.

8. Crumbs From Your Table vs. Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll

9. One Step Closer vs. Believe Me, Natalie ...
One Step Closer, starting to warm to that song quite a bit lately.

10. Original of the Species vs. Midnight Show

11. Yahweh/ Fast Cars vs. Everything Will Be Alright ...
Like both Yahweh and Fast Cars more.

HTDAAB = 8
Hot Fuss = 2

Easy win for U2.

i like HOT FUSS more than the bomb, its nice. but to be honest i have not listened to both of them since about 6 months...

Comparing Killers´s first album to U2´s 12th (or 11th if you don´t consider wide awake in america) is a bit too early....................................:wink:
You can start to make a comparison in 2035..........................if Killers will last 30 (and even more) years like U2

:wink:

the killers are an ok band. i don't think it's fair comparing their debut album to another bands 14th or 15th album (i've lost count how many U2 'official' albums there are).

it pisses me off a bit when people say all these new bands that are coming out are shit and won't last more than 5 years. there's some great new bands out there at the moment - maximo park, arctic monkeys, the rakes, interpol, kings of leon, kasabian....i could go on. some people need to open their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom