HTDAAB vs. Hot Fuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1stepcloser said:
the killers are an ok band. i don't think it's fair comparing their debut album to another bands 14th or 15th album (i've lost count how many U2 'official' albums there are).

it pisses me off a bit when people say all these new bands that are coming out are shit and won't last more than 5 years. there's some great new bands out there at the moment - maximo park, arctic monkeys, the rakes, interpol, kings of leon, kasabian....i could go on. some people need to open their eyes.

Good post :up:

People are way too quick to dismiss new stuff. It will be interesting to see how all of these new bands develop over the next few years.

karls77 said:

Good post :up:

People are way too quick to dismiss new stuff. It will be interesting to see how all of these new bands develop over the next few years.

yeh some of the new bands have more potential than others. The Rakes and Kasabian for example are great bands, don't get me wrong but they both seem a bit one-dimensional. i think i'd be tempted toput the killers in that bracket too.

but anyway, the future is looking really bright at the moment for guitar based music:)

1stepcloser said:

yeh some of the new bands have more potential than others. The Rakes and Kasabian for example are great bands, don't get me wrong, but they both seem a bit one-dimensional. i think i'd be tempted to put the killers in that bracket too.

but anyway, the future is looking really bright at the moment for guitar based music:)

1stepcloser said:

yeh some of the new bands have more potential than others. The Rakes and Kasabian for example are great bands, don't get me wrong but they both seem a bit one-dimensional. i think i'd be tempted to put the killers in that bracket too.

This is true. Perhaps I should said that it will be interesting to see how all of these new bands develop (or don't!!) over the next few years.

I still can't believe The Killers get more attention than Muse

easily one of the better bands to come out of nowhere in a past 5 years

Hmmm, 'All The Things' is probably the best Killers song here, but it's dragged down by that hideous 'soul-soldier' section. It's like they took the haughtiest and worst aspect of Simple Minds and crammed it into their best song. Bad move. 12-0 HTDAAB.

1stepcloser said:
the killers are an ok band. i don't think it's fair comparing their debut album to another bands 14th or 15th album (i've lost count how many U2 'official' albums there are).

it pisses me off a bit when people say all these new bands that are coming out are shit and won't last more than 5 years. there's some great new bands out there at the moment - maximo park, arctic monkeys, the rakes, interpol, kings of leon, kasabian....i could go on. some people need to open their eyes.

You lost all your credibility the second you mentioned Kings Of Leon.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I still can't believe The Killers get more attention than Muse

easily one of the better bands to come out of nowhere in a past 5 years

Muse are really fucking good, though the singer is a little too reliant on sounding like Thom Yorke :wink:

I think my favourite of this "new wave" of bands has gotta be Bloc Party, to me they don't sound so throwback, they've got their own style. And though NME has promoted them to death I don't think they've gotten huge yet. It always worries me when bands get too big too fast.

I don't wanna do this Killers/U2 comparison thing because it's really hard for me to compare... to me it's like apples and orange :shrug:

karls77 said:

Perhaps I should said that it will be interesting to see how all of these new bands develop (or don't!!) over the next few years.

The question is who in the record industry will hang in there with a group that doesn't sell million's of albums on their first outing.
As Bono stated in the R&RHOF ceremony. Thats the biggest problem with new talent, they're given up on too soon..:sad:

hedgehog said:
Hmmm... haven't got "Change Your Mind" on my Killers album.
(Cue list)
Yeah, we have a different tracklisting for some strange reason. The American and Japanese have the same tracklisting with one or two tracks we have as standard being bonus tracks or in different positions on their foreign counterparts, which is odd! :huh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Fuss
If anyone wants to check out the differences! :up:

wideawakeinaus said:

I have to second you there, what Axver said to you was just plain arrogant. He was being a snob.

Yep. There's nothing worse than a music snob. And clearly because i like a great rock n roll band like Kings of Leon my opinion means diddly squat :|

AtomicBono said:

Muse are really fucking good, though the singer is a little too reliant on sounding like Thom Yorke :wink:

I think my favourite of this "new wave" of bands has gotta be Bloc Party, to me they don't sound so throwback, they've got their own style. And though NME has promoted them to death I don't think they've gotten huge yet. It always worries me when bands get too big too fast.

I don't wanna do this Killers/U2 comparison thing because it's really hard for me to compare... to me it's like apples and orange :shrug:

Bloc Party kicks too much ass, that it isn't comparable to the other amounts of ass other bands kick

my new favorites have to be
The Arcade Fire
The Faint
Ringside
Phoenix
The Bravery
Bloc Party
The Strokes
Lovedrug
The Doves
Franz
and of course Muse

1stepcloser said:

Yep. There's nothing worse than a music snob. And clearly because i like a great rock n roll band like Kings of Leon my opinion means diddly squat :|

Of course not, you can like what you like, which is the reason I felt the need to speak up. If Axver wants to dislike The Killers (who I love) or Kings of Leon (who I loathe), thats totally cool. Its even fine for him to post that in this thread IMO. But to belittle someone else's opinion based on a conflict of taste is out of order.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

Bloc Party kicks too much ass, that it isn't comparable to the other amounts of ass other bands kick

my new favorites have to be
The Arcade Fire
The Faint
Ringside
Phoenix
The Bravery
Bloc Party
The Strokes
Lovedrug
The Doves
Franz
and of course Muse

A great selection, the only bands I don't like in that list are the ones I haven't heard of. I saw Doves a few months back, spectacular live. And Muse are a great band and whilst I see the Thom Yorke comparisons with Matt Bellamy, the latter is a far superior vocalist.

AtomicBono said:

On the Origin of Symmetry album he sounds so like Jeff Buckley at times!

Ringside's song Struggle is that song on the new car commercials

where the beads turn red and come down while the car is driving, it's rele kick ass

"I just want to stay in bed, STAY IN BED!
I just want to hear myself cuz it's a struggle"

Back to the topic, The Killers are the most commercialized of the newer bands I think, and they aren't that bad

just overrated when compared to others

with lyrics like "I got soul but I'm not a soldier"
and "somebody told me, that you have a boyfriend, who looks like a girlfriend, that I had on February of last year..."

who wouldn't immediately love them?

The Strokes are back with a couple of great new songs that have been leaked.

The Strokes kick most bands asses. and they're fucking cool as well:rockon:

the arcade fire as well:drool:

Axver said:

You lost all your credibility the second you mentioned Kings Of Leon.

Aren't you the one always blathering on about some crappy prog band?

KOL are definitely one of the better new bands of the last few years, they have actual tunes and a distinctive singer.

Hot Fuss is crap. Its 3 good songs and a bunch of filler. HTDAAB isnt much better but it still is and its wonderful live.

The Killers are atrocious live.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Aren't you the one always blathering on about some crappy prog band?

KOL are definitely one of the better new bands of the last few years, they have actual tunes and a distinctive singer.

You know what, I like KOL and so called "Crappy Prog Bands".

I'm better than you and Axver, I like everything from Post - Rock to Disco, Blues to Trance, Jazz to Reggae etc.

I own you all, so everyone keep the peace.

:wink:

Saul Williams is the shit.

My actual point although possibly lost in the madness remains.

Hmmm. I bought Hot Fuss when it was relased and I listend to it for about 2 months consistently. I bought HTDAAB the day it was released and I havent' stopped listening to it yet. The sound is far more lasting. I grew tired of Hot Fuss because unfortunatley it became a cliche with all these new bands trying for the 80's retro, new wave sound. The album became a fad for me. I really like Hot Fuss at one point but I gew bored of it. HTDAAB is still very very fresh for me.

my favourite bands at the moment would have to be (don't know if any of you will know a couple of them)

Gelbison
Youth Group
The Killers
Snow Patrol
The Arcade Fire
Doves
The Postal Service
John Butler Trio (not really known outside Australia i don't think but he's really good)
Franz Ferdinand

None of these bands are even close to be U2 though and probably never will be

Axver said:
:lmao:

This thread just cracks me up.

No-one will even remember The Killers in five years, and thank goodness for that.

I am sure someone said that about U2 when Boy came out..
I don't know if The Killers will be around in five years or not but I saw them live and they are actually pretty awesome.
I think they are a bit poppy but they have the potential to expand personally.

ghdi said:
Hot Fuss is crap. Its 3 good songs and a bunch of filler.

The Killers are atrocious live.

:eyebrow: could you please tell us what the 3 'good' songs and the 8 'filler' songs are?

and the Killers are an excellent live band. a lot of energy, spontineity, and they're damn good at playing their unstruments too.

discothequeLP said:

:eyebrow: could you please tell us what the 3 'good' songs and the 8 'filler' songs are?

and the Killers are an excellent live band. a lot of energy, spontineity, and they're damn good at playing their unstruments too.

Here Here
the drummer is awesome!
Brandon's good with his keyboard and the guitarist is pretty good

Back
Top Bottom