HTDAAB sells 900,000 copies in 1st week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
according to some data the dj at krock ny read today.

damn...that's alotta potatoes.

The SoundScan week is not over yet. It goes from Mon.-Sun. U2's album was released on Tues., so this first week will be 6 days.

Eminem's album sold a whopping 700,000+ copies in 3 days, so U2's still not up in that stratosphere, but if they do pull down 900,000 or so copies, it will easily be their best debut ever in the SoundScan era (we have no sales figures for anything prior).

Anyway, right now, that number is a projection based on estimates. What is known is that the album sold over 250,000 copies its first day! That's more than both "Best Of's" sold in their first week and about 2/3 - 3/4 what "Pop" sold its first week!

I'm still skeptical of this...just seems borderline outrageous. However, if true that would be enormous not just for the band, but for rock music. I guess we'll know for sure on Wednesday.

well, if it was on krock it must be true...:uhoh:

VertiGone said:
I'm still skeptical of this...just seems borderline outrageous. However, if true that would be enormous not just for the band, but for rock music. I guess we'll know for sure on Wednesday.

...enormous for good rock music, that is. Some pretty bad stuff has sold much more in its first week, but not mentioning any names, atrocious rock music. :huh:

kakvox said:

...enormous for good rock music, that is. Some pretty bad stuff has sold much more in its first week, but not mentioning any names, atrocious rock music. :huh:

Well, it's good for all rock music, good and bad. If the record is selling that well, it shows that there still is an appetite for rock music among the masses. As a result, some of the effort that labels put into finding the next Britney and Eminem can be justifiably channeled into finding the next U2.

VertiGone said:

Well, it's good for all rock music, good and bad. If the record is selling that well, it shows that there still is an appetite for rock music among the masses. As a result, some of the effort that labels put into finding the next Britney and Eminem can be justifiably channeled into finding the next U2.

amen.

I dunno'...900,000 just sounds fucking ludicrous and impossible to me...

Don't get me wrong--that would be totally awesome if this were, in fact, true; I just didn't anticipate figures anywhere even REMOTELY close to that high, you know? I figured no more than 500/600K at the ABSOLUTE MOST...and I thought I was being pretty optimistic with those estimates.

With Thanksgiving falling this week, though, the numbers should be pretty fucking high. All kinds of sales, all kinds of shoppers, and all kinds of iPod ads will likely get more than just the dedicated/crazy fans we all are out there. Man...if this is a proper figure, I'm ready to eat my hat; too crazy, too cool!

Why is that # impossible? The album has been universally acclaimed, had a brilliant marketing plan and they are the biggest and greatest band on the planet?

The album sold 250,000 copies ont he first day and that was before the Friday after Thanksgiving - the biggest shopping day of the year.

Early projection by Billboard is

#1 Eminem
#2 Destinys Child
#3 U2

that is including Fridays sales, the weekend has yet to be computed and its close between U2 and Destinys Child.

Eminem is a runaway #1 unless hardly anyone bought it today and everyone bought U2 or DC instead.

I think this is good news, even if you don't like the album. Big sales for their last two albums will probably give them the confidence to go back to "experimental mode" on their next one.

I checked the Billboard website and saw nothing that stated that early projections showed they were #3.

I think all you americans should go out and buy a few more albums to help the cause out :wink:

After I heard the album for the 3rd time I was convinced it will destroy ATYCLB in sales by at least 3 million units...thats my prediction.

Don't forget this is the biggest shopping week of the year in the USA. The same albums six months ago would sell much less, so U2 doing 900,000 in the USA is certainly possible. They've never released on the gigantic thanksgiving week before. It also means we'll need at least two more months to see if it has a shot at the 4 million+ that ATYCLB sold in the USA.

I also believe that Pearl Jam currently holds the rock record at around 900,000 from the early ninties...

Last edited:
Would 900,000 be the biggest first week sales for U2 ever?

And this is just over the counter sales right?

What about Amazon.com pre-orders and iTunes sales.

Back
Top Bottom