HTDAAB sells 900,000 copies in 1st week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catman said:
^^^ Yes. ATYCLB is the current highest first-week sale for a U2 album with something like 450,000 :ohmy:

Hmm, I thought it was closer to 350,000. This was still a record for a U2 albums first weeks sales.

I really think this album sold 600,000+ records. I don't think that 700-750,000 is out of the realm here.

I'm pretty sure ATYCLB sold 428,000 in the US during its first week - I think that's why people are thinking "900,000!? No f'n way!" For this album to double the first week of ATYCLB sales would be sweeter than sweet potatoes!!!

EmilyBono said:
I'm pretty sure ATYCLB sold 428,000 in the US during its first week - I think that's why people are thinking "900,000!? No f'n way!" For this album to double the first week of ATYCLB sales would be sweeter than sweet potatoes!!!

remember that ATYCLB followed Pop, and that HTDAAB followed ATYCLB..... much different feelings toward the band from the general public between now and 4 years ago.

I think Pearl Jam sold 1 million copies of its 2nd album "vs." in its first week of release in 1993.

whoever posted that destiny's child will get #2 this week is just blowin' smoke up our asses... destiny's child sold between 400 and 500 thousand copies LAST week... in order to eclipse u2, which have been put somewhere between 800,000 and a million, the destiny's child record would have to almost double in sales in it's third week of release... nuhh uh. not happening.

tkramer said:
I also believe that Pearl Jam currently holds the rock record at around 900,000 from the early ninties...

Yep, for Vs.....it was the record until Garth Brooks' Double Live album became the first to break a million.

With holiday sales, etc.....I think we've easily got another three million selling album on our hands.....the strength of the followup singles will determine whether or not it can top the 4.2 million that All That You Can't Leave Behind has sold.

BigMacPhisto said:

Yep, for Vs.....it was the record until Garth Brooks' Double Live album became the first to break a million.

With holiday sales, etc.....I think we've easily got another three million selling album on our hands.....the strength of the followup singles will determine whether or not it can top the 4.2 million that All That You Can't Leave Behind has sold.

Did Brooks' album sell 500,000 to reach that status, though? It is a double album, and I know certification works differently. Or did he actually sell 1,000,000+ copies in that first week? ( :shocked: )

UnforgettableLemon said:

Did Brooks' album sell 500,000 to reach that status, though? It is a double album, and I know certification works differently. Or did he actually sell 1,000,000+ copies in that first week? ( :shocked: )

yes, he actually sold a million. A double album is counted double by RIAA for certification purposes, but SoundScan counts it as one sale.

Keep in mind, the "Peeling Off The Dollar Bills" forum has lots of discussion on chart and sales. If we can't answer it there, chances are the information is really tough to find. ;)

If HTDAAB sells 900,000 copies or more this first week, it will more than double what ATYCLB sold its first week - and ATYCLB set a record for U2! So this could really be something for U2.

Of course, N'Sync once sold 2.3M copies of one of their albums in its debut week (and I think 1.8M copies of another album in its corresponding debut week). I believe they hold the record. Eminem sold 1.6M copies of his album in 10 days. He also did this for his last album. Both albums, though, were released early (on a Friday) due to leaks. This Friday release threw off the sales. Had his albums been released on Tuesday as planned, he easily would have cleared the 1M mark for both releases. So while U2's achievement is certainly merit worthy, it is just a personal best for them - not for SoundScan.

I was in Walmart today, and I checked to see how many copies of HTDAAB thay had left. They had several, but no copies with the DVD. Neither did Target on Thursday when I checked.

Circuit City, Tower, and Virgin still have plenty of copies of both versions.

Did the discount stores not stock the DVD version, or did they just sell out really fast?

I think we are underestimating the marketing power of the iPod/iTunes commercial. I live in Los Angeles, and a very good friend of mine who works in the music business says 900k in the first week (US) is a lock. They can predict this much the same way that the movie business predicts sales. If indeed it does achieve that number, I owe much of it to the partnership with Apple. In this day and age, I don't think you can get better marketing than what they did with Apple (iPod and iTunes is the most iconic player in the music business today). I work with a lot of people who are not U2 fans, who know that I am die-hard, and they approach me out of the blue to say that they have seen the U2 commercial. If you remember, U2 did a huge marketing push for ATYCLB and you can compare the results (SNL, MTV, Farmclub, etc.) The bottom line is that U2 music moves me and the more they spread the gospel...more power to them--but I am convinced the Apple partnership was a marketing master stroke and was the major factor in these sales numbers.

I think it has a lot to do with Apple and a lot to do with the fact that they released 3 different versions of the album....of which I have all 3...and I was happy to get them all....U2 are still relievent well into their 40s and that is a major accomplishment I will be very thrilled to see it go in at #1 in the US if indeed it gets there...that is a big accomplishment for any band never mind a europian one.

Back
Top Bottom