HTDAAB---Scouting Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Based on what we know from recent magazine articles, Edge posts here and other rumors, I've prepared a track by track scouting report focusing in on keys to artistic success. I'll start at track 2 since we've all heard Vertigo by now.

2. Miracle Drug

Appears to be: Slowish rock number

Key(s) to success: Lifeline must not be overly dramatic

Comments: There will definately be some kind of hopeful lifeline like attribute to this song. It must not be overdone dramatically speaking or the tune will slip toward tediousness

3. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own

Appears to be: Stately moving ballad

Key(s) to success: Presentation must not be overly formal

Comments: U2 has recently had the tendency to present these type of songs too formally. Even though it's probably a moving ballad it still must be loose and a tad unkempt emotionally to be creatively successful.

4. Love and Peace or Else

Appears to be: Some sort of combination of classic rock (Led Zeppelin) and modern rock (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)

Key(s) to success: Wicked playing and textural vision

Comments: Band has got to be rolling on a number like this one appears to be. There must also be significant sonic vision to compete with the likes of the artists mentioned above.

5. City of Blinding Lights

Appears to be: Traditional U2 rouser

Key(s) to success: Needs to be packed with some intensely beautiful moments

Comments: Sonic decorations might be the key here. We know the band can easily work a storm up, but in order to compete with their own great rousers of the past the beautifully intense musical moments have to be superb. These moments don't have to be long just great.

6. All Because of You

Appears to be: Straightforward rock song

Key(s) to success: Liveliness

Comments: A tune of this kind must be ALIVE to reach great places. The music is gonna have to carry this part since the lyrics appear confessional in nature. Instrumentation cannot slip back and allow lyrics to dominate the song.

7. A Man and a Woman

Appears to be: Motownish street song

Key(s) to success: Street, street and more street

Comments: Cement and concrete with life buzzing about it is the way to reach an environment of urban earthiness to set this song in. So whatever the musical equivalent of cement and concrete is, that's what the band needs to capture here.

8. Crumbs from Your Table

Appears to be: Spiritual song that challenges institutionalized religion

Key(s) to success: Purity of the Holy Spirit must be evident

Comments: Musically they must capture a spiritual purity to take on certain religious tendencies. If they can do this, the song will greater for it because it will be able to challenge these tendencies on religions own turf (spiritual realm) as opposed to coming after it from a completly outside perspective.

9. One Step Closer

Appears to be: Rumination on death

Key(s) to success: Emotional depth and musical finesse

Comments: Depth is obviously important here, but the song cannot be allowed to drown in that depth. Therefore the band must have some creatively light musical touches throughout the song to lift it out of a deep well.

10. Original of the Species

Appears to be: Reflective pop/rock song

Key(s) to success: Pull off the ATYCLB balancing act

Comments: ATYCLB balanced a mid-life kind of resignation and acceptance of one's self with a review and longing of one's youth without succumbing to nostalgic tendencies. Suffice to say, this tune will need to do the same to be successful.

11. Yahwaeh

Appears to be: U2's penultimate hymn

Key(s) to success: Must go further than 40 did in it's plea for peace

Comments: 'How long to sing this song' won't do this time out. The world is gonna need more to take notice. Yahwaeh must give more without going over the top.

Holy Shit! I agree! That was really good, based on the info we have now. I'll add that, this time around, I think the album as a whole will need to be a lot more cohesive in sound, but especially with its spiritual threads and landscapes. Reports are that this is indeed a more cohesive (at least in terms of Edge's guitar) and the prospect of a central character throughout the album raises my hopes too.

I love it! The Holy Spirit must be evident in Crumbs from your table as well as the rest of the album. Great take on the tracks!!

Back
Top Bottom