HTDAAB Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just a few questions mainly about vocals that I have been bugging me for a while...
1 Does anyone know exactly what Edge is saying in the Vertigo chorus? I have looked at a lot of websites but can't find it.
2 In the booklet for the CD is says Larry Mullen provided vocals on Miracle Drug. Does anyone know where? Has he provided vocals before?
3 In a thread titled 'Cobl' everyone said that Edge sang on City Of Blinding Lights but in the booklet it doesn't mention vocals from anyone. Does he sing on that track?
4 Does Edge back vocal on the All Because Of You verses?
5 At the bottom of the 'One Step Closer' lyrics, it says with special thanks to Noel Gallagher, of Oasis. Anyone know why?
6 What is everyone's problem with Yahweh?

1. I think he's the one that says "hola!" and "donde esta?"

2. Probably the "heaaay heeeay"s before the solo. I think he had backing vocals on Numb with Bono but nothing else.

3. I think in the chorus, and possibly the "oooh oooh oooh"s. More notable live, though.

4. I think Bono records his voice twice for this effect. But I never know with these type of songs! Same goes for Yahweh and Crubms and Discotheque and Even better than the real thing, Babyface etc.

5. Bono was talking with Noel about his father who was losing his faith and wasn't sure where he was going. Noel said "well he's one step closer to knowing isn't he?" and so I guess that inspired him.

6. :shrug: I don't know.

COBL_04 said:

...hmm, I guess some people are simply atheists... :wink:

2. ...during edge's solo /// Numb, and somewhere on Boy->War albums
3. ...only live,
4. ...it's all Bono,

Edge sings on all versions of COBL...it's high-pitched vocal of the same lyrics Bono sings during the 'oh you look so beautiful's.

In ABOY, In the chrouses, on the third 'all because of you', Edge adds a high-pitched back-track to it.

1 Does anyone know exactly what Edge is saying in the Vertigo chorus? I have looked at a lot of websites but can't find it.

He says "Hola" (Hello) and "¿Dónde está?" (Where is it/that?)

2 In the booklet for the CD is says Larry Mullen provided vocals on Miracle Drug. Does anyone know where? Has he provided vocals before?

He does the "yeah's" with Bono in The Edge slide guitar part. (2min 22 sec)

3 In a thread titled 'Cobl' everyone said that Edge sang on City Of Blinding Lights but in the booklet it doesn't mention vocals from anyone. Does he sing on that track?

Yep, he's making backing vocals along the song

4 Does Edge back vocal on the All Because Of You verses?

I think he does in the last "All because of you". There are three.

5 At the bottom of the 'One Step Closer' lyrics, it says with special thanks to Noel Gallagher, of Oasis. Anyone know why?

Bono explained that in summer '01, when Bob was obviusly about to die he said to Noel that his father was afraid, he didn't know what would happen and Noel said "well, he's one step closer to knowing it, isn't he?"

I like "Yahweh", I don't have any problem with it, but I'm very dissapointed that in the tour U2 have erased the "This love is like a drop in the ocean..." part.

www.todoU2.tk

COBL_04 said:

You know those Casio keyboards you get that have pre-programmed songs on them? You press a button and you get "Waltz" or "Rock'n'Roll" or whatever and it plays the backing parts and drums etc and you can play whatever you want over the top? Yahweh sounds like a Casio keyboard with "U2" pre-programmed, except it sounds like it was recorded by a guy at the Casio factory in Japan trying really hard to be U2, but not U2 at all. U2 would never do something so dull.

Over the top of the pre-programmed U2, the Edge and Bono both clock in with probably the least inspired effort I've ever heard from either. Bono goes and lists a bunch of things/body parts again and wants someone (this time it's God) to take them and do something with them. Heard it before, only it was way better last time, better writing, better delivery, sounded like something 'real', while this sounds like a poor attempt by Bono to write a nursery rhyme. The Edge clearly wasn't able to make it to the studio that day, so they brought in an impersonator and that's why we got such a simple and uninspired 'Edge' guitar part. This all leads you to probably the least natural and forced 'build' in a U2 song since Original of the Species only 1 track before. "This love is like a drop in the ocean" (repeat and get louder while the Edge gets faster and higher) Oooohhh... thats U2 magic.

Of U2's whole catalogue it comes in as an easy last for me. It's the sound of U2 with a well that has run very, very dry.

Re: Re: HTDAAB Questions

Earnie Shavers said:

You know those Casio keyboards you get that have pre-programmed songs on them? You press a button and you get "Waltz" or "Rock'n'Roll" or whatever and it plays the backing parts and drums etc and you can play whatever you want over the top? Yahweh sounds like a Casio keyboard with "U2" pre-programmed, except it sounds like it was recorded by a guy at the Casio factory in Japan trying really hard to be U2, but not U2 at all. U2 would never do something so dull.

Over the top of the pre-programmed U2, the Edge and Bono both clock in with probably the least inspired effort I've ever heard from either. Bono goes and lists a bunch of things/body parts again and wants someone (this time it's God) to take them and do something with them. Heard it before, only it was way better last time, better writing, better delivery, sounded like something 'real', while this sounds like a poor attempt by Bono to write a nursery rhyme. The Edge clearly wasn't able to make it to the studio that day, so they brought in an impersonator and that's why we got such a simple and uninspired 'Edge' guitar part. This all leads you to probably the least natural and forced 'build' in a U2 song since Original of the Species only 1 track before. "This love is like a drop in the ocean" (repeat and get louder while the Edge gets faster and higher) Oooohhh... thats U2 magic.

Of U2's whole catalogue it comes in as an easy last for me. It's the sound of U2 with a well that has run very, very dry.

Take this post, give it a kiss....

Re: Re: Re: HTDAAB Questions

angelordevil said:

Take this post, give it a kiss....

Yes, it also contains some of the "least natural and forced" sarcasm I've come across in a long time.

Earnie Shavers said:

Although I don't really agree, I had to laugh when I read this, because some of it IS a little too close to true...but have you heard the alternate version? I find it much more natural and the "buildup" is a little better ("Take these blue eyes...take these blue eyes...take these eyes and make them see" and then less notably "This love is like a drop in the ocean..."). But I'm guessing you won't like the song no matter what...personally I love it :shrug: though Do You Feel Loved IS much better :D

Earnie Shavers said:

Funny description there :wink:

But I have to say, Peace On Earth is much worse.

Re: Re: Re: HTDAAB Questions

namkcuR said:

But I have to say, Peace On Earth is much worse.

It is, although some of the lyrics are quite bitter, you wouldn't KNOW it. Although Love and Peace or Else certainly redeems it...:drool:

I loved Peace on Earth and Yahweh. :shrug: I guess I'm just doomed be the one who loves all the songs everyone else hates. Ah well.

Thanks for clearing all that up, it had been bugging me for a while. :scratch:

Earnie Shavers said:

the question was about yahweh, not cobl

COBL_04 said:
I loved Peace on Earth and Yahweh. :shrug: I guess I'm just doomed be the one who loves all the songs everyone else hates. Ah well.

Well, for what it's worth, I love Peace on Earth, it's bitter and questioning.
Yahweh, I love a little less, but certainly preferr the album-version over the live accoustic version.

COBL_04 said:

I don't LOVE Peace on Earth, but I like it alright...there's no U2 song I really don't like at all. Some are mediocre to me but no less than that...a lot of people really hate some U2 songs, something thus far I haven't been able to do.

AtomicBono said:
I don't LOVE Peace on Earth, but I like it alright...there's no U2 song I really don't like at all. Some are mediocre to me but no less than that...a lot of people really hate some U2 songs, something thus far I haven't been able to do.

Yeah, you actually make a good point there. To love a song, you'd have to give it 5/5, and Peace on Earth and Yahweh probably get a bit less than that.

I haven't come across a U2 song I dislike yet, although Grace and One Step Closer would be my two least favourites. I'm scared though, I'm getting Achtung Baby in less than three weeks, and I read in Rolling Stone that it was the sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree:yikes:...and I liked the Joshua Tree...I hope I like Achtung Baby!

COBL_04 said:

Yeah, you actually make a good point there. To love a song, you'd have to give it 5/5, and Peace on Earth and Yahweh probably get a bit less than that.

I haven't come across a U2 song I dislike yet, although Grace and One Step Closer would be my two least favourites. I'm scared though, I'm getting Achtung Baby in less than three weeks, and I read in Rolling Stone that it was the sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree:yikes:...and I liked the Joshua Tree...I hope I like Achtung Baby!

You should like it darlin (so sorry if your guy you just sound like a girl to me from what i've read and umm i call all girls darlin tis a habit i struggle with myself not to call my gran darlin).....back to Achtung..you should love it...You can still tell its a U2 album but vastly different from Joshua Tree...it is U2 dismantling themselves and piecing themselves back together in a different form..pieces are all the same..just different structure (if that makes sense:huh: )

COBL_04 said:

I'm getting Achtung Baby in less than three weeks, and I read in Rolling Stone that it was the sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree:yikes:...and I liked the Joshua Tree...I hope I like Achtung Baby!

You have nothing to worry about. It's their best.

COBL_04 said:
I'm scared though, I'm getting Achtung Baby in less than three weeks, and I read in Rolling Stone that it was the sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree:yikes:...and I liked the Joshua Tree...I hope I like Achtung Baby!

The Joshua Tree is very tree like. It is a very deep, layered, matured album. It is focused heavily on scenary and descriptive. Past Streets it seems to describe (awesomely well, I must add) this amazing scenery. It's intense, but passive.

So yes, Achtung is the sound of 4 men chopping down the Joshua Tree and assembling it into something more practical - like a bed. Achtung is very much an album about life. It's very intense, but inclusive.

timothius said:

So yes, Achtung is the sound of 4 men chopping down the Joshua Tree and assembling it into something more practical - like a bed. Achtung is very much an album about life. It's very intense, but inclusive.

Ok thats what i was trying to say except you were much much better...:yes:

LJT said:

Ok thats what i was trying to say except you were much much better...:yes:

I wrote the first sentance accidently in this format....

OMFG! U H8ATE AKTUNG BEBE!@@1111 DI DI DI EEE!!@$

Then I realised that writing is not appropriate in every thread.

COBL_04 said:

Do you have Zooropa and Pop? If you like those you will most likely love AB.

AB has more earthy themes, more personal lyrics and a lot of Edge: riffs and solos. It's like yin and yang with JT - some prefer AB, some prefer JT. I enjoy both of them for what they do.

timothius said:

I wrote the first sentance accidently in this format....

OMFG! U H8ATE AKTUNG BEBE!@@1111 DI DI DI EEE!!@$

Then I realised that writing is not appropriate in every thread.
#

No but its useful for killing some threads:wink:

again i would like to reiterate Achtung Baby is great and you will most definitely love it:drool:

LJT said:
You should like it darlin (so sorry if your guy you just sound like a girl to me from what i've read and umm i call all girls darlin tis a habit i struggle with myself not to call my gran darlin).....back to Achtung..you should love it...You can still tell its a U2 album but vastly different from Joshua Tree...it is U2 dismantling themselves and piecing themselves back together in a different form..pieces are all the same..just different structure (if that makes sense:huh: )

Yeah...I'm a guy...:eyebrow::reject:

U2Girl said:
Do you have Zooropa and Pop? If you like those you will most likely love AB
Nope, I only have ATYCLB, HTDAAB and the 80/90 best of. I guessed JT was good from ISHFWILF, Streets and With Or Without You.

LJT said:

Yeah...I'm a guy...:eyebrow::reject:

U2Girl said:
Do you have Zooropa and Pop? If you like those you will most likely love AB

Nope, I only have ATYCLB, HTDAAB and the 80/90 best of. I guessed JT was good from ISHFWILF, Streets and With Or Without You.

Earnie Shavers said:
Achtung Baby is the best 50 or so minutes of music ever recorded. It's hard not to like that.

Couldn't agree more!

To COBL_04: Achtung Baby is the greatest album ever! period!!! Can't believe you don't have it already! :shame:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom