HTDAAB production quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
After listening to these songs, is it just me or does it seem like the mixing/production of these songs blows away any other u2 album in the past?

Edge's guitar sounds particularly vibrant in a song like OOTS for instance.

I know many share the sentiment that Enos/Lanois really screwed up the Joshua Tree mix (it always sounds quiet and muted when I listen to the cd), and I know many were miffed about the way Vertigo was mixed...now that we have, what I'd assume is the album mix of all the songs, what do you all think?

Last edited:
Sounds great, Lillywhite all over.

Still prefer Eno/Lanois, but this is quality.

Over produced at times (OOTS, Sometimes) but otherwise not bad. I just pray one day we will get a more stripped down version of OOTS, the one we have at the moment is just to cluttered but it still manages to sound bloody amazing at the same time.

ATYCLB was so well done in terms of production value. I don't think this album has quite that quality. Just listen to BD, Kite, and Walk On... so well done. Then after you do, listen to COBL and SYCMIOYO, not quite the same punch. (IMO)

Daveone said:
Over produced at times (OOTS, Sometimes) but otherwise not bad. I just pray one day we will get a more stripped down version of OOTS, the one we have at the moment is just to cluttered but it still manages to sound bloody amazing at the same time.

Then it's perfect! Can't be bloody amazing and not be! On this one song you can hear how much Bono is enjoying singing this song, he is almost laughing in the third chorus when he nearly loses it. GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!

There are only 2 U2 songs I mind the sound/production: Exit, I don't know if it's only my CD, but it's so oddly mixed I cannot hear Bono at the first verse unless I really crank up my stereo, and then of course I have to keep it quiet in time before the guitars kick in.

When I look at the world: keyboards suggest a pop song, guitar suggests rock. What's it gonna be?

I like all the odd-sounds on the beginning of Miracle Drug, that song is mixed perfectly, when the solo (not the slide one) kicks in!!! Just amazing! :drool:

I think Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite was been sleep after Pop. Pop was the last U2 album with REAL innovative, fresh, provocative and different sounds and colours. If you listen Mofo and Then Staring At The Sun, Gone or Please you´re listening 2 completely different musical worlds, particularly in the
general and specific sound of the instruments, guitar´s effects and voice´s EQ, etc. That doesn´t happen in this album, in where overall the sound is quite predictable and singsong, getting to be even annoying, since if one listens the Jacknife Club Remix from Vertigo can imagine that the song had been thousand times better with other sounds and not
repeating such sounds and mixing song after song :sad: :ohmy: :(

I really believe is time for whole new producers, because all those producers who have worked for 20 years with U2 got really boring, predictable and lazy :yes: :yes: :yes:

Needle_Chill said:
ATYCLB was so well done in terms of production value. I don't think this album has quite that quality. Just listen to BD, Kite, and Walk On... so well done. Then after you do, listen to COBL and SYCMIOYO, not quite the same punch. (IMO)

I actually thought ATYCLB sounded over-produced, which took away some emotion. HTDAAB comes off a lot more "real" and full of emotion, while still being sonically brilliant. One thing I've noticed is that the album can sound pretty different depending on the audio equipment you're using to play it. I had the opportunity to listen on a pretty high-end setup, and it was incredible. I definitely preferred the production of HTDAAB over ATYCLB. Actually, I think it may be the best production I've heard of any U2 album.

i love all the background "electronic-sounding" effects (Vertigo, Miracle Drug, LaPoE, COBL, ABOY), especially on All Because of You. The intro, with that cool bouncing sound at the beginning is just perfect!

rjhbonovox said:

Then it's perfect! Can't be bloody amazing and not be! On this one song you can hear how much Bono is enjoying singing this song, he is almost laughing in the third chorus when he nearly loses it. GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!

It is bloody amazing but certainly not perfect. There's too much going on at times - the violin isn't to good and it seems they decided to drop it halfway through the song. I think a little more subtlety would of helped but i cant help but love the song its just too damn catchy.

kawai17 said:
I know many share the sentiment that Enos/Lanois really screwed up the Joshua Tree mix (it always sounds quiet and muted when I listen to the cd), and I know many were miffed about the way Vertigo was mixed...now that we have, what I'd assume is the album mix of all the songs, what do you all think?

I really look forward to a re-mastering of their 80's albums, because they are in serious need of it. However, I have heard that the vinyl versions actually sound a lot better, and one of these days, I'm going to give those a listen. As for Vertigo, I love the mixing and production of it! It's not a typical mix, which probably threw a lot of people off. If you listen very carefully, it's very interesting to hear what's playing on each channel. There are all sorts of cool sounds (especially on the right channel) that I hadn't noticed at first, and those ended up providing a lot more depth to the song for me. I'm glad they didn't take the safe route with the mixing on that, as it really adds to the uniqueness of the song (in a good way, I think).

Re: Re: HTDAAB production quality

gorman said:

I really look forward to a re-mastering of their 80's albums, because they are in serious need of it. However, I have heard that the vinyl versions actually sound a lot better, and one of these days, I'm going to give those a listen.

generally speaking, most albums that came out before the cd era will sound better on vinyl as that was the medium they were mixed for. when albums start being re/issued on cds, they have usually been remastered by some joe shmoe at a mastering company's studio. the vast majority of the time the engineer had nothing to do with the original material and therefore really can't communicate the songs well to cd.

also, i'd like to add that i too LOVE the small electronic blurps i hear through out the album. makes it interesting to me. my only complaint is larry's drum kit. to me it sounds small and powerless in most songs on the album. MORE DRUMS. i think that is all the album is missing musically.

Last edited:
I wonder how many tracks Edge got to himself. Some songs must have at least 8-10 just for guitars.

As for the drums, I find them to be well mixed to each of the songs. I like how dirty they are in Love and Peace, and ABOY. Then they're crisp and bright in Vertigo, and the snare in COBL is some of the best I've heard from Larry's mixes. They didn't ignore the drums by any means.

Back
Top Bottom