HTDAAB...lame duck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac Phisto

The Fly
The new album, although critically hailed and armed with a smash first single, has seemingly dropped off the face of the planet, or at least the U.S.

Vertigo was a hit obviously, even if they had to work WAY too hard to earn it, All Because Of You was dead in the water from the second it was released, Sometimes You Can't got modest play at best. Video airplay is non-existent.

They're still a touring bohemoth, but it seems the days as a top recording artists are gone for good.

I agree it's a lame duck, but your last statement is a bit severe.

Admittedly there are very few singles on this record, and like they did with POP, they are releasing all the wrong songs as singles.

Doesn't mean we won't hear something better in the near future (I hope:|).

If I can listen to and enjoy the songs myself, I really do not care about singles sales at all, so should we care no, keep listening, cherishing everything that is great, long live U2:wink:

if all that matters for you is air play and sales, then i must tell you that here in Europe HTDAAB keeps succeding. Vertigo is a smash hit, sycmioyo is a huge hit and number 1 single in several countries, and cobl entered to the top 10 in several countries and is doing well on mtv and vh1.

Yes, HTDAAB still reasonably doing well in Europe. Better than it deserves to some would say. :reject:

Mac Phisto said:

They're still a touring bohemoth, but it seems the days as a top recording artists are gone for good.

What exactly is your definition of a top recording artist? Someone who has hit singles in the good old US of A?

Re: Re: HTDAAB...lame duck?

roy said:

What exactly is your definition of a top recording artist? Someone who has hit singles in the good old US of A?

Here comes the always amusing "Typecast The American As Being Single-Minded" routine! Right on cue, Roy!

I thought I made myself clear in the first post, but I'll say it again. Being from the United States, I can say that the album is dead in the water (at least in the NYC area). There's no buzz. There's no single. There ain't nuthin'.

This was not the case with ATYCLB, which despite countless claims to the contrary on this message board, seems to have staying power that HTDAAB can only dream of.

Makes you really appreciate how special ATYCLB was. It single-handedly lifted the band out of the U.S. pop culture graveyard. The new album had an opportunity to build on that...but it just came up short.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: HTDAAB...lame duck?

Mac Phisto said:

Here comes the always amusing "Typecast The American As Being Single-Minded" routine! Right on cue, Roy!

I thought I made myself clear in the first post, but I'll say it again. Being from the United States, I can say that the album is dead in the water (at least in the NYC area). There's no buzz. There's no single. There ain't nuthin'.

This was not the case with ATYCLB, which despite countless claims to the contrary on this message board, seems to have staying power that HTDAAB can only dream of.

Makes you really appreciate how special ATYCLB was. It single-handedly lifted the band out of the U.S. pop culture graveyard. The new album had an opportunity to build on that...but it just came up short.

Oh well.

HTDAAB has sold nearly 3 million albums in the USA so far, if that doesn't maintain their position as a top recording artist then I don't know what does.

Maybe it's just because the album isn't that good? I agree the songs they've chosen for the singles aren't that good. For me it would be Love and Peace or Else, All Because of You (alternate version...much better than the Album version), and probably Fast Cars.

But the thing is that the Album just doesn't have enough punch to it to sate the American public's ADD syndrome. Hell I'm a U2 fan and it doesn't have enough punch to sate my own desires.

Oh well.

I dunno Achtung Ya'll...I wish I could disagree with you but I think you may be right. The album just comes off as a "close but no cigar" situation no matter how many times I listen to it. It's good, sometimes I think really good, but truly great? Nah.

Of course, asking a band of guys breathing down the neck of 50 to keep producing classic albums may be a little unfair too. Actually, it's borderline cruelty.

But when you're U2, the bar is perpetually set to hold you up against your own shining past. Add to the fact they were following up one of the most commercially successful albums of the decade, and damn, that's quite a hill to climb.

I think Bono said it best on "Acrobat":

What are we going to do? Now it's all been said /
No new ideas in the house and every book has been read

It may be time to stop holding them up against the spector of their own greatness.

Mac Phisto said:
I dunno Achtung Ya'll...I wish I could disagree with you but I think you may be right. The album just comes off as a "close but no cigar" situation no matter how many times I listen to it. It's good, sometimes I think really good, but truly great? Nah.

Of course, asking a band of guys breathing down the neck of 50 to keep producing classic albums may be a little unfair too. Actually, it's borderline cruelty.

But when you're U2, the bar is perpetually set to hold you up against your own shining past. Add to the fact they were following up one of the most commercially successful albums of the decade, and damn, that's quite a hill to climb.

I think Bono said it best on "Acrobat":

What are we going to do? Now it's all been said /
No new ideas in the house and every book has been read

It may be time to stop holding them up against the spector of their own greatness.

Just out of interest, how many billboard hits did ATYCLB produce in the USA?

Sometimes was a good choice for a single, it is my 3rd favourite on the album, but it wasn't good for a single, bring on Vertigo(Temple Bar mix)

Irishteen said:
Sometimes was a good choice for a single, it is my 3rd favourite on the album, but it wasn't good for a single, bring on Vertigo(Temple Bar mix)

I think you may have contradicted yourself somewhat there.

roy said:

And their positions?

Sorry. Couldn't say for sure. Beautiful Day did VERY well in the states. I know that. Elevation also had a good run here. Stuck in a Moment did fairly well, and Walk On may or may not have cracked the charts.

Hey Mc Phisto, no matter how great songs you release as singles, they aren't going to be big in the U.S, not in these times
15 years ago, ABOY and SYCMOYO would have made the top 40 easily
Look at your charts! They are full of Hip hop, featuring i dont know who the fuck...
And If you say that 3 million is not a top recording artist, well you are lost my friend

At least in Europe and around the world the musical taste is better, best considered
Vertigo is going to be the top grossing tour ever
Just hope they come to South America again

Good luck

ybird3k said:

on the Hot 100-

i think bautiful day made #22
and stuck.......... #52

walk on and elevation never made the BB hot 100

Oh well, I was pretty close.

Re: Re: Re: HTDAAB...lame duck?

Mac Phisto said:

HTDAAB is a better album PERIOD.

ybird3k said:

on the Hot 100-

i think bautiful day made #22
and stuck.......... #52

walk on and elevation never made the BB hot 100

How does this compare to the singles off HTDAAB?

Lancemc said:

Oh well, I was pretty close.

Peak Positions:

Beautiful Day - 10/07/00 - #21
Walk On - 02/24/01 - #118
Elevation - 06/23/01 - #116
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - 09/29/01 - #52

Vertigo - 11/27/04 - #31
All Because Of You - 2/12/05 - #101
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - 4/30/05 - #97

Last edited:
Danny Boy said:

Peak Positions:

Thanks. That's about what I thought. For some reason I thought Elevation did a bit better, but it is Elevation after all.

Danny Boy said:

Peak Positions:

Vertigo - 11/27/04 - #31
All Because Of You - 2/12/05 - #101
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - 4/30/05 - #97

Just added the HTDAAB singles for comparison.

Well, mathematically, the first three HTDAAB singles are actually ahead of the first three ATYCLB singles on the charts by 26 places. :wink:

...whatever the hell that information means. :)

Back
Top Bottom