HTDAAB...lame duck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snowlock said:

Well, I don't know... U2 lately it seems as always included a trendy song or two. Sure, Vertigo is kinda trendy; though it's such a pure U2 song that I think they are copying themselves more than anyone else. But at least to me, every song on Pop with maybe the exception of Gone and Please were trendy.

With Vertigo, U2 may have tried to make a trendy song, but they went off in a lot of different directions from there after that. With Pop, song after song was just trying to appeal and fit in. More trendy:wave:

ps, yeah, this is getting silly.

I disagree but I do respect your opinions :wink: But this discussion have been silly for a long time so lets just end it here :up:

The thread is silly in a way.

Is HTDAAB a lame duck?

Commercialy? Hell no. As an album it's a golden goose. 9million+ sales? Amazing.

Culturally? Yes it is a lame duck, but it's aim was never to have people oohing an ahhing over it like it's an Achtung Baby or OK Computer or something, it's simply not that kind of music, not that kind of album, not that kind of work of art. I do sincerely hope U2 have one more of those in them though.

Earnie Shavers said:
The thread is silly in a way.

Is HTDAAB a lame duck?

Commercialy? Hell no. As an album it's a golden goose. 9million+ sales? Amazing.

Culturally? Yes it is a lame duck, but it's aim was never to have people oohing an ahhing over it like it's an Achtung Baby or OK Computer or something, it's simply not that kind of music, not that kind of album, not that kind of work of art. I do sincerely hope U2 have one more of those in them though.

Good point. I seriously doubt if anyone except maybe some hardcore fans are going to care very much about HTDAAB in 10 or 20 years. I think ATYCLB will be remembered by the general public because of the way people responded to it after 9/11 (I admit, I was one of them - had little use for the album before that day, still think it's generally overrated, but I vividly remember listening to Peace on Earth around Christmastime of 2001 and thinking, "Crap, that's exactly how I feel") but what's HTDAAB going to be remembered for? Unfortunately I think it's going to be the Vertigo iPod ad. Not quite the same thing.

Bono's shades said:

Good point. I seriously doubt if anyone except maybe some hardcore fans are going to care very much about HTDAAB in 10 or 20 years. I think ATYCLB will be remembered by the general public because of the way people responded to it after 9/11 (I admit, I was one of them - had little use for the album before that day, still think it's generally overrated, but I vividly remember listening to Peace on Earth around Christmastime of 2001 and thinking, "Crap, that's exactly how I feel") but what's HTDAAB going to be remembered for? Unfortunately I think it's going to be the Vertigo iPod ad. Not quite the same thing.
just because you dont think it will be rememberd dpsent mean everyone else thinks that,

am gonna be all different and tell you that bomb is the album i most enjoy listening too, i dunno why. but songs like miracle drug, sometimes, crumbs, original, love and peace, and yes even vertigo, connect with me, so to totally dismiss it because you dont like it is pretty wrong, because someone will have a different opinion to you

im hoping for a nuclear war, then maybe people will turn to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb for comfort, and it will go down as one of U2's greatest accomplishments.

Chizip said:
im hoping for a nuclear war, then maybe people will turn to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb for comfort, and it will go down as one of U2's greatest accomplishments.

haha good one....
thats what happened to atyclb!! 911 :sad:
but the album was zzzzzzzzzz!!!

shaun vox said:

haha good one....
thats what happened to atyclb!! 911 :sad:
but the album was zzzzzzzzzz!!!

I was thinking the same thing. If it wasn't for 9/11 I don't know if U2 would have had such a great 2nd half of sales with ATYCLB. Being a 25 yr + rock band and selling 3 million + records is excellent for U2. Has anyone seen the US music market lately? Its a complete joke. HTAAB shouldn't be judged by record sales. We'll see how it stands in 2-3 yrs from now.

Back
Top Bottom