HTDAAB is the REAL U2's third masterpiece !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think this was the right time to make an album in which they feel comfortable in their own skin without rehashing ideas of the past.

It sounds like a fresh new perspective from the boys, banging out straight forward rock tunes. Something i think the band needed, I was really waiting for this album. Bono and Co. talked alot about writing the 45s, single material, and the primary colours of rock and roll. guitar, drums, bass, and voice.

I think they did an outstanding job, tunes like, Love & Peace or Else, A man and a Woman, and fast cars were nice suprises, as was the solo in All because of you!

and they hadn't written a tune like Vertigo or COBL in 15-20 years or so.

I think the diff producers and production were the main weaknesses on the album, but after hearing live versions of songs, that usually helps me get around the production. I really don't like the production on Joshua Tree, AB, or Zooropa, maybe Pop, but after having heard the live versions, etc...I still really enjoy those albums!

The next album will have to be something new though!

innocent_eyes said:
I really don't like the production on Joshua Tree, AB, or Zooropa, maybe Pop, but after having heard the live versions, etc...I still really enjoy those albums!

to explain this a bit, JT and Zooropa are far to quiet.

The studio version of Exit, is barely audible. The enire zooropa album is a bit quiet and Numb was vastly imoroved on the Best of, I can actually understand what Edge is Saying in that version!

AB, songs like Zoo Station, UTEOTW, Ultra violet, EBTTRT, and Love is Blindness are far superior live, than the studio version.

That being said, I love those albums/songs, and still thouroughly enjoy records!!!

^^^^^ Def right about the many producers

I think they should just have Eno and Lanois as producers, Flood as the mixer, and Lilywhite come in an a consultant. IMO the Eno/Lanois records are the best: UF, JT, AB...

innocent_eyes said:

The studio version of Exit, is barely audible. The enire zooropa album is a bit quiet and Numb was vastly imoroved on the Best of, I can actually understand what Edge is Saying in that version!

AB, songs like Zoo Station, UTEOTW, Ultra violet, EBTTRT, and Love is Blindness are far superior live, than the studio version.

That being said, I love those albums/songs, and still thouroughly enjoy records!!!

The Best Of version of Numb was NOT improved. The Zooropa album was meant to have a certain atmosphere about it. It is the epitomy of a headphones album. The Best Of version took away that atmosphere.

The production on JT/AB/Zooropa/Pop is superb.

starvinmarvin said:

You are stating opinion as fact. You are every bit the hypocrite I knew you were.

But that is all I am doing. I am not doing it in the condescending, shove-it-down-the-throat way that you were. And I think you know exactly what the difference is.

If it makes you feel any better, I absolutely do not THINK the Best of Version of Numb is improved.

namkcuR said:

But that is all I am doing. I am not doing it in the condescending, shove-it-down-the-throat way that you were. And I think you know exactly what the difference is.

What you are conveniently forgetting is that I was only condescending AFTER you provoked the argument.

I think the big difference between you and I is that I don't care if people agree with me, while you regard any contrary opinion as a personal attack.

starvinmarvin said:

What you are conveniently forgetting is that I was only condescending AFTER you provoked the argument.

I think the big difference between you and I is that I don't care if people agree with me, while you regard any contrary opinion as a personal attack.

Could have sworn you were the one doing all the provoking - what with coming into the October APPRECIATION thread with the specific point of dissing the record - the exact opposite purpose of the thread - just to rub people the wrong way. Perhaps I shouldn't have given you the satisfaction of indeed getting irritated the way I did.

And I don't care if you agree with my opinion, I really don't give a crap. I just give a crap when you shove your opinions down my throat and insinuate that I'm making up false opinions(an oxymoron in and of itself) due to the fact that I'm somehow so weak-willed and blinded by my love or dislike for certain records/eras that I can't see the reality, the facts, as laid out by your opinions.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

Could have sworn you were the one doing all the provoking - what with coming into the October APPRECIATION thread with the specific point of dissing the record - the exact opposite purpose of the thread - just to rub people the wrong way. Perhaps I shouldn't have given you the satisfaction of indeed getting irritated the way I did.

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen many, many people post negatice comments in appreciation threads. It's happened to me before, and will undoubtedly happen again in the future, but I just take it with a grain of salt. So should you.

The basic source of this problem lies in the fact that you are overly sensitive to any sort of criticism, or contrary points of view. If you put your opinions on display ion a public forum, such as this board, please be prepared to have them challenged.

namkcuR said:

The Best Of version of Numb was NOT improved. The Zooropa album was meant to have a certain atmosphere about it. It is the epitomy of a headphones album. The Best Of version took away that atmosphere.

The production on JT/AB/Zooropa/Pop is superb.

:up:

starvinmarvin said:

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen many, many people post negatice comments in appreciation threads. It's happened to me before, and will undoubtedly happen again in the future, but I just take it with a grain of salt. So should you.

The basic source of this problem lies in the fact that you are overly sensitive to any sort of criticism, or contrary points of view. If you put your opinions on display ion a public forum, such as this board, please be prepared to have them challenged.

See, you are doing it again - 'the basic source of this problem lies in the fact that you...' - you are stating, in an extremely condescending manner, your opinion of what the 'problem' is, and shoving it down by throat. Believe me, I've had my opinions challenged many times by several people, and I've never had a big problem with it. It's just you because you are pretending not see your behavior.

I've had enough of arguing with you, we're not gonna change each other's minds about anything, and there's no point to sabatoging a perfectly good thread. Good day.

namkcuR said:

The Best Of version of Numb was NOT improved.

The best of version of Numb was absolutely bloody awful. As awful as the absolute shite version of Staring at the sun on same said best of album. What got me on the remix of Numb was the absolute must have putting in some echo twang guitar in the final verse, what a fucking lame idea that was, absolutely wrecked the song. Why the hell would you want to mess with the album version of numb in the first place, as it was great! Just thought I would add my comment here.:wink:

namkcuR said:

See, you are doing it again - 'the basic source of this problem lies in the fact that you...' - you are stating, in an extremely condescending manner, your opinion of what the 'problem' is, and shoving it down by throat. Believe me, I've had my opinions challenged many times by several people, and I've never had a big problem with it. It's just you because you are pretending not see your behavior.

I've had enough of arguing with you, we're not gonna change each other's minds about anything, and there's no point to sabatoging a perfectly good thread. Good day.

Are you for real?

innocent_eyes said:

Well those albums are more dynamic, if that's the right term.
They are less loud, but have a richer sound, you can hear the nuts and bolts much better. It's a Brian Eno thing. Yes, Exit is quiet, but that's the atmosphere of that song, that's the atmosphere of the whole album, sort of dark and moody in parts.

The textures of HTDAAB are all right in your face. So if you enjoy driving down the road with the stereo cranked up loud and jamming, then it's probably right up your alley. If you are more into the 'headphones' routine, where you listen for the sounds more than for the 'rock', then it's probably not.

TO each their own, I just think to myself, I can crank up Exit on a good stereo or in headphones and it sounds absolutely fucking amazing. Where most all tracks on HTDAAB sound the same on a boombox or a big system. There is an upside and downside to both I would guess.

Zooropa is much the same as JT. I would say of any of U2's previous albums, in terms of quality sound, that album is the best. It holds up 12 years later, it still SOUNDS great. Maybe you don't like the songs, but the sound on that album holds up. IMO.

Going off what you are saying, I would only guess that you just like it loud and in your face, some of us like it more subtle. Hell, if I was 20 years old and still listened to a lot of loud, hard music I might like the album versions more than I do. But I like the live versions much much better. COBL, OOTS, Yahweh, even Miracle Drug sounds better live. I think the album leaves a lot to be desired to someone like myself who likes to hear music in headphones and get lost in the dynamics. I am not looking to get 'rocked' out anymore. So it's likely all just preference.
That's not to say I don't liek to jam it hard, but if I am interested in that, I am stickign in some Ministry or Sepultura or Tool, something geared for loud hard rocking grooves. U2 for me is more than just a loud band to bob your head to, always have been.

But I think in 10-15 years all albums are really going to show the warts. Joshua Tree, even Zooropa might be low, it's certainly lower than most anything else being released now by anybody.
I think in 10-15 years HTDAAB will be seen as dated as Joshua Tree in terms of sound, it will just be loud and I think most people are goign to claim this album was much better live, as a whole.
The Joshua Tree still captures the atmospherics of the originals, although maybe muted for some of you. IMO, I'd rather hear the crickets in Exit than have the guitar 20% louder, not a great example, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
starvinmarvin said:

Are you for real?

Yes, I am. Why wouldn't I be?

Look, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk or anything like that. Maybe I got more worked up in the other thread than I should have, but I still think you said some things that were uncalled for. Maybe I argued too much and refused to let it go, but I didn't see you backing out of anything either. Either way, I don't wish to continue arguing over this, I'm over it.

Can we please move on now and let this thread get back on topic?

U2DMfan said:

Well those albums are more dynamic, if that's the right term.
They are less loud, but have a richer sound, you can hear the nuts and bolts much better. It's a Brian Eno thing. Yes, Exit is quiet, but that's the atmosphere of that song, that's the atmosphere of the whole album, sort of dark and moody in parts.

The textures of HTDAAB are all right in your face. So if you enjoy driving down the road with the stereo cranked up loud and jamming, then it's probably right up your alley. If you are more into the 'headphones' routine, where you listen for the sounds more than for the 'rock', then it's probably not.

TO each their own, I just think to myself, I can crank up Exit on a good stereo or in headphones and it sounds absolutely fucking amazing. Where most all tracks on HTDAAB sound the same on a boombox or a big system. There is an upside and downside to both I would guess.

Zooropa is much the same as JT. I would say of any of U2's previous albums, in terms of quality sound, that album is the best. It holds up 12 years later, it still SOUNDS great. Maybe you don't like the songs, but the sound on that album holds up. IMO.

Going off what you are saying, I would only guess that you just like it loud and in your face, some of us like it more subtle. Hell, if I was 20 years old and still listened to a lot of loud, hard music I might like the album versions more than I do. But I like the live versions much much better. COBL, OOTS, Yahweh, even Miracle Drug sounds better live. I think the album leaves a lot to be desired to someone like myself who likes to hear music in headphones and get lost in the dynamics. I am not looking to get 'rocked' out anymore. So it's likely all just preference.
That's not to say I don't liek to jam it hard, but if I am interested in that, I am stickign in some Ministry or Sepultura or Tool, something geared for loud hard rocking grooves. U2 for me is more than just a loud band to bob your head to, always have been.

But I think in 10-15 years all albums are really going to show the warts. Joshua Tree, even Zooropa might be low, it's certainly lower than most anything else being released now by anybody.
I think in 10-15 years HTDAAB will be seen as dated as Joshua Tree in terms of sound, it will just be loud and I think most people are goign to claim this album was much better live, as a whole.
The Joshua Tree still captures the atmospherics of the originals, although maybe muted for some of you. IMO, I'd rather hear the crickets in Exit than have the guitar 20% louder, not a great example, but you get the idea.

Great post :applaud:

AtomicBono said:

Right...The Fly doesn't stand the test of time. Which is why they're PLAYING IT EVERY NIGHT.

"I'm not sure whether it's really stood the test of time."

-- Edge, 2002, on why "The Fly" was left off of The Best of 1990-2000

guill said:

-- Edge, 2002, on why "The Fly" was left off of The Best of 1990-2000

He's not sure...so he was indecisive, therefore since i guess he has made up his mind:wink:

Ok,

-- Edge, last monday, on why "The Fly" was left off of The Best of 199

Back
Top Bottom