HTDAAB is the REAL U2's third masterpiece !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roy said:

I presume there was a limit of one album per band/artist...

Nope, Radiohead had The bends & OK Computer and The Beatles had 3 or 4, also Oasis had 2. Channel 4 are assholes!

Don't get wrong rjhbonovox, I LOVE AB, but if you are objective, Jt is their ultimate and only masterpiece.
Why do you think "the fly" was not on the best of 90/00 ? The Edge said that it didn't pass the test of time, he never said that with JT songs.
You can disagree with him as well as with poll readers and sell figures.
But...

rjhbonovox said:

Nope, Radiohead had The bends & OK Computer and The Beatles had 3 or 4, also Oasis had 2. Channel 4 are assholes!

But why would Channel 4 be biased against Achtung Baby? :confused:

roy said:

But why would Channel 4 be biased against Achtung Baby? :confused:

I suppose they didn't think the album was important enough to include in the poll. In my opinion if Achtung Baby had been released before the joshua tree, then that would be on the list everytime.

Also about Masterpiece and HTDAAB in the same sentence. Do people on here actually believe the album is deserving of a title of Masterpiece and would them same people class the album as good as an Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree and an OK Computer, etc? If so then I must be listening to a different album then them that believe this is so!

guill said:

Why do you think "the fly" was not on the best of 90/00 ? The Edge said that it didn't pass the test of time, he never said that with JT songs.

You know this just about sums U2 up now and since 2000. To say The Fly hasn't stood the test of time is utter bollox. How can The Edge say that about a song which is easily one of their top 5 songs if not the best song they have ever done. There is absolutely no song off the last 2 albums that comes anywhere near as great as what The Fly is. That statement by the Edge is one of many the band have uttered since 2000 which piss me off!

rjhbonovox said:

I suppose they didn't think the album was important enough to include in the poll. In my opinion if Achtung Baby had been released before the joshua tree, then that would be on the list everytime.

:shocked: :giggle:

It is the most extraordinary post I've ever read :bow:

rjhbonovox said:

You know this just about sums U2 up now and since 2000. To say The Fly hasn't stood the test of time is utter bollox. How can The Edge say that about a song which is easily one of their top 5 songs if not the best song they have ever done. There is absolutely no song off the last 2 albums that comes anywhere near as great as what The Fly is. That statement by the Edge is one of many the band have uttered since 2000 which piss me off!

The Fly doesn't stand the test of time as well as other AB songs.

starvinmarvin said:

The Fly doesn't stand the test of time as well as other AB songs.

What?? Its tied with One as the best song off AB in my eyes, and definitely a top 10 U2 classic.

Sleep Over Jack said:

What?? Its tied with One as the best song off AB in my eyes, and definitely a top 10 U2 classic.

Yep, damn right!

Oh dear its sleep over jack, and I have agreed with one of his posts, shit!:wink:

This post is IMO, and that changes everyday

The Fly doesn't stand test of tme, is laughable

Here is my list of favourite U2 songs

1.One
2.Where The Streets Have No Name
3.Bad
4.The Unforgettable Fire,The Fly,New Years Day,Stay

These are also the 7 U2 songs that I would rate 10/10 on scale that like this 9.5,9.75,10, as you can see in my thoughts U2's last 10/10 was on Zooropa and there first was War, but there is alot of 4.5-5/5 9+ songs on the latest albums, so to me the last masterpiece was AB, they have had 3, ATYCLB=4th favourite album is not a masterpiece, War=5th favourite album is no masterpiece, and HTDAAB = 6th favourite is not a masterpiece, really brillant albums but not masterpieces, and just to say

THE FLY IS A TIMELESS CLASSIC:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
Masterpieces

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. All that you can't leave behind
4. How to dismantle an atomic bomb

I don't like The Joshua Tree.

The facts show that Zooropa is U2's only masterpiece.

HTDAAB is the real U2's masterpiece of crap music

1 R&H (poor Heartland)
2 ATYCLB (poor album)
3 HTDAAB (poor of us)

guill said:
HTDAAB is the real U2's masterpiece of crap music

1 R&H (poor Heartland)
2 ATYCLB (poor album)
3 HTDAAB (poor of us)

'poor of us'......... No still don't get it :confused:

Was this post meant to be funny? :huh: :shrug:

Well it looks like its all been said
In conclusion: HTDAAB is a U2 masterpiece
But the third?

We would never agree on that

Well I quess i will have to agree it is a masterpiece but in 2005 terms. If this was 20 years ago, 2 things would be different, I wouldn't be born, and this would be no masterpiece

not agree with you
masterpiece in any U2 era, 80's, 90's and now
imagine Bono singing SYCMOYO with his late 80's powerful vocals
would have sounded great also

guill said:

Right...The Fly doesn't stand the test of time. Which is why they're PLAYING IT EVERY NIGHT.

Oh well, I guess The Edge is allowed one false comment for every ten of Bono's :wink:

And in my eyes, Pop is U2's third masterpiece...I'm hesitant to call HTDAAB their fourth, damn brilliant album as it is.

However, I think in the public's eye, JT and AB are the only two masterpieces. ATYCLB maybe, but it's only been 5 years since its release...we'll see how people feel about it in 2010.

U2 Masterpieces from first to last.(By last i dont mean I rule out a masterpiece in the future)

Unforgetable Fire
The JoshuaTree
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
POP

The masterpiece run ended with the release of ATYCLB but we had a brilliant run though. (A couple great songs on ATYCLB but not enough to render it a masterpiece.) HTDAAB is U2's weakest album considering all that U2 has done in the past.

U2's sole super masterpiece:

The Joshua Tree

Beautiful Ghost
Where The Streets Have No Name
Silver And Gold
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Spanish Eyes
With Or Without You
Lumious Times
Walk To The Water
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still

Race Againt Time
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
The Sweetest Thing
Heartland (where it was supposed to be)
One Tree Hill
Deep In The Heart
Exit
Mothers Of The Disappeared

Nube Gris said:
not agree with you
masterpiece in any U2 era, 80's, 90's and now
imagine Bono singing SYCMOYO with his late 80's powerful vocals
would have sounded great also

The first half of this post is to you, then i go abit off

Im not saying it wouldn't be good, Im only saying it could only be a masterpiece compared to todays standards, I love the album, I see where people get the masterpiece stuff from. SYCMIOYO,LAPOE,COBL,Vertigo,FC are al brillant songs that prove U2 haven't lost it, but it doesn't have the amazing atmosphere of TUF, the amazing song quality of AB(One,UTEOTW,TF,UV,Acrobat) or well no need to describe the Joshua tree. U2 are going forward well staying true to themselves, they are learning from the past, they are using the past, to me they have made a brillant mix of TUF and Streets, made some great rockers, made some brillant emotional ballads.

Back
Top Bottom