HTDAAB First Listen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oceane, I loved the circus story. As I was reading it I was saying, "no, no run out of the room." But fortunately the guy turned it off in time.

My first listen would go like this - At home, alone with headphones that completely cover my ears from start to finish, no skipping songs and no repeating a song that I really like. The first time has to be from start to finish, straight through. Each note and sound is fully savored. Like eating a wonderful feast slowly.

Roland of Gilead said:
Not to brag, but for the last two studio releases I have been able to pick up the album on the Friday BEFORE the release date thanks entirely for a dear friend that owns a cd store that I helped financially get started. I have never asked once to be able to pick up a disc before its release date. He knows that U2 are my favorite band and this is his way of thanking me for the help. This also works for the single releases too. So, I'll have Vertigo on Nov.5th and the album on Nov.19th.

I am a damn lucky bastard! :yes:

It is an absolute bliss to listen to new U2 on Fridays. To stay up late Friday night/early Saturday morning until the entire album has been digested like an overweight baby pounding back a warm bottle of milk or two.

lucky bastard indeed.

Earnie Shavers said:
What are you going to do? How are you going to listen to it for the first time?

I'm going to go around to my parents place and make some shit up about my crappy Toyota Corolla being bung and try and borrow my fathers car. It has the sweetest, sweetest stereo. I'm going to head out and buy HTDAAB and then go visit my friend who lives about 2 hours up the coast. I'm serious, that gives me two runs of the album in a big-arse BMW on an expressway, at absolute full volume. Then I get to stay the night at my friends, get completely drunk and listen to it again, which will be an entirely different experience I am sure. Then I get a 2 hour drive home the next day to blast it again.

OMG. I am so feckin jealous. I will probably listen to it through walkman speakers plugged in to my computer. I have a stereo system, but I cannot crank to much because of the neighbours. Curse these tiny flats!

I will have to wait until I visit my family in Canada and takes my pop's Lexus out, wicked stereo!

Though I do reckon a fine, extremely fine, bottle of Rioja should be opened to celebrate the listening of the new record!

mkjc said:
Oceane, I loved the circus story. As I was reading it I was saying, "no, no run out of the room." But fortunately the guy turned it off in time.

Glad to see my reaction can be understood by fellow U2 fans! The other part I didn't tell in this story is that the night before, a friend of mine came to pick me up, and when he arrived he was waving frantically in the car. When I got closer, he opened the door and screamed "Come in! They're playing some songs off the new U2 album on the radio!" And I was like "Nooooo!!! Turn it off! I have to listen to the whole thing at once tomorrow, when I'm ready, not like this!" And he turned it off:wink:

And then the day after at work... I was being pursued by ATYCLB! So this time around I'll probably stressed out again to accidently hear parts of HTDAAB before the 'right time'.:laugh:

Sydney radio station Triple M played the Joshua Tree tracks on Saturday night before the album release. They played one every hour from about 9 in the evening. Now that was a great night - headphones in the dark.

They did the same thing for Achtung Baby.

When I got Zooropa I went to a vacant floor in my office building and again listened on headphones in the dark.

ATYCLB was leaked on the internet, so I listened through the crappy speakers on my PC. I totally regret that now. It just doesn't have the same feel when I play it now.

I just hope I can hold out with this album and "experience" it first time round.

I have final exams the week the album is released, so my first brush with the real CD will be delayed. I'll probably shut myself in my room, get to track four and then be called away to do chores. I'll explain that I don't want to be interrupted. I will be told I can "come back to it later." I will press pause on the CD and protest. Having convinced the parent that all chores will be done later, I'll press play. From here on, every ten minutes someone will call for me from downstairs, with questions along the lines of, "have the animals been fed yet?" or to check if the CD has ended yet.

The CD will end and I will go downstairs to be yelled at. Such will be the first day I hear HTDAAB!

(I swear I am not an angsty teenager; it's just this routine has happened to me on more than one occasion!)

U2dork said:

I love the smell of CD booklets. Is that weird?

Absolutely not. Smelling the cd booklet is essential in order to enhance your cd-listening expirience.

I will most likely get it right after school the day it is released(unless I have Thanksgiving holidays, in that case I will get it earlier).Even if I should have my liscense by then, the car I have does not have a cd-player, and there's no way my dad will let me drive his car. So I will probably first listen to it through our sound system at home. I will be :wink: and :hyper: and :drool:

I will walk into a large, probaly rectangularly construced space of commerce. I will slowly eye the contents of the radiant white shelves, until mine eyes are rested upon the shrinkwrap housing the plastic housing the disc. Then shalt I extend mine arm, and grasp the cd with mine hand, and proceed to the line. And in that glorious line I shall remove mine imitation skin folding, from which I shall remove on or several pieces of uniformly-cut paper. They shalt like be decorated with caligraphy of 2s and 0s, or perhaps not. Then the guardian of the disc shall receive mine cash, and I shall taketh mine receipt. I shall proceed out of the rectangular space of commerce and proceed to my car. Should I, by then, have mine kickass stereo fixed and out of infernal theft-lock, I shall deliver the disc from it's plastic prison and wallow in the glory of U2. Or, if my car still sucks, I'll take it back to my dorm and play it in my crappy little clock CD player that I took instead of my good stereo. :mad:

Drive an hour south to another city, buy the CD, put it in the CD changer, hit play and start driving back home. No distractions... just the road, the scenery, and the music.

starsgoblue said:
I will shut myself up in my room with a case of Guinness, a pack of Marlboro Lights and a Midsummer's Night candle.... Phone will be turned off and heaven help anyone who knocks on my door.

You know, I think this time around I will have a few ice cold heinekens after the kids go to bed. I'll park my rear in the lazyboy recliner with my shockwave and another cold one to sip.

I love beer and I love U2. Might as well combine the two. :yes:

Knowing me, I'll probably be in tears half way through Yahweh. :reject:

I was thinking of having a new album party at mine, but realised that there would be other people which means TALKING which would be totally out of the question :wink:

I happened to be in Dublin with work when ATYCLB came out (staying in Dalkey of all places), and when Bomb comes out I will be in Wicklow for a christening, so I'm looking forward to hearing the record in U2land again! - I suspect wherever I am there will be some cold Guinness near to hand :)

Roland of Gilead said:

You know, I think this time around I will have a few ice cold heinekens after the kids go to bed. I'll park my rear in the lazyboy recliner with my shockwave and another cold one to sip.

I love beer and I love U2. Might as well combine the two. :yes:

Knowing me, I'll probably be in tears half way through Yahweh. :reject:

I told my housemates I will assuredly be 'comfortably numb' for the listening (mmm Heines...) and if they did hear sniffles they had better not ruin it for me and knock on the door. Lol, I have made the door-knocking rule blatantly clear this far in advance....

Im gonna try and hold out and get it on Nov 23 and get it in the City at jbhifi melbourne, coz my final uni exam is on the 22nd so itd be nice to give myself the ultimate treat for finishing the year with some new U2.

Although its gonna be hard to wait a whole day with the knowledge that its out there!

Still havent decided whether on the 1 hout train trip back home if i will listen to it on my discman or wait till i get home and play it locked away in my room, an intimate moment with THE BOMB and me....if so id probably be analysing the lyric booklet on the train trip...

I haven't had a ritual other than getting my hot little hands on it as soon as possible, but I think you folks are onto something. I'll have to keep reading this forum over the next several weeks to formulate a plan of action. I'm excited by this new album and have more faith that this might be a spiritual experience. Which is always a plus. I also think this album might be more immediate than ATYCLB was.

Even though I don't have a set ritual, I do remember the day that ATYCLB came out. I was in the process of moving out of my apartment in Albany, NY and moving down to VA. All of my stuff was picked up by the movers except: My Computer, my Suitcase, my stereo, my U2 CD collection (Like I'm gonna leave it with strangers for 4 days! No Way!) and my cat.
I woke up that morning and went to Best Buy and bought 6 copies of the CD. I came home, turned it up loud and tried to do some last minute cleaning, but by the time the album was through, I couldn't stand still anymore, I had to leave. I packed up everything (the stereo was last) and headed out the door. I made several pit stops around town, dropping off copies of ATYCLB to friends that I was leaving behind and hit the road. What a great album for a life change and travel. I listened to it at least 6 more times on my drive down to Virginia.

-- Forever Etched --

I'll probably will get rid of my housemate, throw the cat on the balcony, unplug the phone, turn off my cellphone, light some candles, get a good bottle of wine/champagne and then turn it up really loud! I prefer to listen to it in the evening... And of course you have to make sure nobody will interrupt you while listening...

I had a crazy idea for NY Interference Members. I was thinking about trying to find a really good rate on a hotel room in the city. Get a bunch of people to chip in and go to wherever the CD is being sold at midnight. Then everyone goes back to the hotel and has a listening party. We listen to it over and over, some crash, some stay up, some of us get up in the morning and go to work…crazy idea that will probably never happen, but you never know…

way ahead of you mate...I've been planning this for quite some time, since the words "another album " were first muttered.
:dance:

http://forum.interference.com/t96885.html

there will be one slight change to my usual plans. I think I'll listen to it through headphones...shows me colours when there's none to see, gives me hope when I can't believe
:heart:

Rafiennes said:
I had a crazy idea for NY Interference Members. I was thinking about trying to find a really good rate on a hotel room in the city. Get a bunch of people to chip in and go to wherever the CD is being sold at midnight. Then everyone goes back to the hotel and has a listening party. We listen to it over and over, some crash, some stay up, some of us get up in the morning and go to work…crazy idea that will probably never happen, but you never know…

If I lived in NY I would be down...I'm stuck in Ohio unforetunatly...

I definetly want to listen to the album in my own room by myself and read the lyrics and everything, but going out and getting drunk later definetly sounds good to me. But in between, its a requirement that I get on the blue crack and see what all my fellow interferencers have to say about the album.

Rafiennes, I am in NY, and if I wasn't married w/ a 1 month old baby, I'd certainly party in a hotel for a listening party. It sounds like a lot of fun.

But I'll be happy to indulge in the blue crack w/ you the day of release.:wink:

Numb1075 said:
Rafiennes, I am in NY, and if I wasn't married w/ a 1 month old baby, I'd certainly party in a hotel for a listening party. It sounds like a lot of fun.

But I'll be happy to indulge in the blue crack w/ you the day of release.:wink:

Better than nothing!

Hmmm I would be down with an NY listening party... Would need to make sure we have a decent stereo system though- most hotel stereos suck. There is a hotel that features nice high-end equipment (nice stereos, dvd, plasma flatscreen tv's etc..) in midtown. It overlooks the park on one side.

elfyx said:
Hmmm I would be down with an NY listening party... Would need to make sure we have a decent stereo system though- most hotel stereos suck. There is a hotel that features nice high-end equipment (nice stereos, dvd, plasma flatscreen tv's etc..) in midtown. It overlooks the park on one side.

The more we get the more of a possibilty it could be.
$$$ is the huge factor.
And...I know this is not as big a deal as the new U2 album, but I’d be willing…<heavy sigh> to throw in some copies of MY band’s demo CD as well (which probably won’t get listened to until late 2005 when everybody goes, “Hey, didn’t we get some sort of free CD or something?”) but you know, two CD’s for the price of one…and the price of a hotel room…

Still…just an idea…

Back
Top Bottom