HTDAAB: Did Americans buy it because they liked it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reggie Thee Dog said:
U2 are an original, much like the Beatles, Stones, Aerosmith and Zeppelin. They make brilliant music and strive to be the best. Just because they had a ton of marketing behind them doesn't necessarily mean they'll sell 2.5 million CDs in 2 months. A good album will sell that itself.

Exactly! A good album sells itself. At least great rock albums sell themselves.

Also, I didn't say that U2 has a small market. I just said it has a limited market. I doubt if many hip-hop/rap listeners (huge numbers) bought HTDAAB. On the other hand hip-hop has drawn its share of listeners from the teens over the years and hence eroded rock's market. For eg. rock as a genre got (let's say) 50% of the kids who discovered music between 1985-95 (me included!), while rock probably got only 25% of the kids who discovered music between 1995-2005. So, IMO, that defintely limits any rock band's market releasing albums in 2005. That's all I'm trying to say.

Agree with Jick 100 % about ATYCLB's greatness......

......i think ABOY is too weak a track to be a single...especially a second single.....and u2 might have missed a trick there.....Miracle Drug had to be the next single followed by Sometimes.......

yet sales will definetely pick up...the tour announcement and fast ticket sales all over the US will boost HTDAAB sales.....

The only thing bubbling Green Day back up to the top is their latest single - Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I don't think U2's All Because of You would provide the same buoyancy, but SYCMIOYO may. That's why I'm so opposed to this two-single format. I think it dilutes each song's power.

SYCMIOYO may still not float U2's sales, but maybe their third single (whichever song it is) may pull a surprise; specially since it may coincide with the beginning tour dates. That's always a good combination for album sales.

HTDAAB, in the end, is a tough sell. It's got the typical European themes, with a hint of American flavor. I personally love the album, but definitely have a hard time picking songs to impress my friends with. I almost have to always accompany listens with explanations of what the song(s) is about. Otherwise, it may not have the same impact on its own.

album sales will rocket in the US when OOTS is released as a single next summer :wink: the tour should help too....

snutes1 said:

At least Americans dont hold on to cheesy pop acts like Michael Jackson and David Hasselhoff like you guys in Europe, especially in Eastern Europe, back when Croatia was part of Yugoslavia. Remember when that pedophile Bastard Michael Jackson made his video for "HIStory", it was set in some imperial fascist state in Europe somewhere. And who can forget the footage of Europeans fainting at the site of MJ and other cheesy acts years after they were popular. Dont tell us about our musical tastes bro.

...at least we don't have country music!

Michael Jackson - 1996... we have 2005 now, you know... and those people in the video (shot in some ghetto) saw a "celebrity" for the first time... doesn't matter who it was... and BTW it was in the south of Europe not east...:rolleyes:

David Hasselhoff - 1991-1992 and only in Germany... we have 2005 now, you know; and Germany is not the whole Europe!:rolleyes:

BTW - we also don't have "imperial fascist" countries anymore...
the question is: did you check lately what your cauntry's new laws are and what the goverment is doing?:tsk:

That was a decade ago... you want to know how things work now?
Many "artists" (lets call them that way:huh: ) from Canada, Australia, even some from U.S. release albums/singles in Europe first... later (a month, a week...) in U.S.

Your musical taste? what taste?
J. Lopez?
Destiny's Child?
Eminem? Britney?
30-the-same-looking teens singning about how the world is bad?
rap stars swimming in gold talking about how life is tough when you're poor?
silicone-&-plastik-surgery dolls singning that no one loves them?
neo-PunkRock-pop bands playing 3 same chords all the time?
or metro-guys with constant "pain" on their faces singning like gays (no offense) about love?
No comment:yuck:
----------

I think ABOY is a good idea for second U.S. single. It's the same strategy as with almost all other singer's/band's promotion, to release 2 similar songs in a row, I think it'll work in U.S.

Last edited:
Hmmm, so many replies so hard to reply to each post individually.

Point taken on the premise that Green Day initially didn't sell well and is only starting to hit its stride the past few weeks after people discovered that it was a great album and spread the word around. But this premise also supports my own assertion that the first few sales weeks for HTDAAB weren't because of actual album content but more because of external forces. After all, it took Green Day some time before people noticed it.

I agree with the Rolling Stone comparison insofar as selling out concerts is concerned. But to say that they have still been selling their new albums as a decent clip -- well I strongly disagree. The Stones haven't sold much in the past 20 years.

After reading all the posts here and the analysis by others, I am now of the opinion that one of the things that didn't let HTDAAB hold its momentum was their second single choice. ABOY just can't cut it and it is one of the rare marketing and decisional mistakes U2 have made. I agree that for the US market, Miracle Drug would have been a great second single followed by Sometimes You Can't Make It.

Thanks for all your opinions.

Cheers,

J

Isn't GreenDay on tour right now?
HTDAAB will sell more (not only in U.S.) during the tour.

I still think ABOY is good second single for U.S. it's the same strategy as Linking Park's, Eminem's etc,etc...

bathiu said:

...at least we don't have country music!

touche . :wink:
I'm a european living in the US, and I don't see what the big deal is, good music is good music. it's just bad music seems to be loved all over the world now, though, not just the States.

you forgot the most important factor in why people bought their album. I bet you would have bought the album if every single critic in the world said it sucked, just because it was u2 and you know they are good!

I respect your opinion but you're wrong on a number of points.

First of all. ABOY was an excellent choice for a second release. In the US, radio is very specialized right now, so they had to make a choice. Were they going to target primarily Top 40 radio, classic rock radio, modern rock radio or adult contemporary radio. While it had some success on Top 40, Vertigo was clearly aimed at the Modern Rock audience, and that's where it achieved most of its success. It was a little too "hip" for classic rock radio, and I'm sure the boys don't want to be in any way associated with lamo AC music. So ABOY was a natural choice, as SMYCMIOYO would have received a Stuck in a Moment death on Top 40, as almost all rock ballads have of late. While it would have received some play on Modern Rock Radio, ABOY is much more suited to Modern Rock Radio, and is being played extremely frequently on the radio (I don't recall hearing Stuck in a Moment on rock radio.) And for the record, ABOY hasn't een been released yet, so how can it be seen as a poor choice. And by the wa, in such a specialized music market, they have dome very well indeed.

As far as HTDAAB, it has done remarkably well in the US. You can't compare it's success to ATYCLB. For one thing, ATYCLB one sold only two million , and much of it's time out of the top 20 (although it did succeed in selling 4M). HTDAAB is already at 3M, and is holding steady at 12-13 this week which isn't bad considering probably almost every U2 fan already bought the album the first month. This album is on track to sell well over 5Million over the next couple years (and may turn out to be their best or 2nd best selling album ever worldwide.) After the explosion the first two months, success will now be remaining in the top 20 or 30 which is the likelihood. There will be occasional surges with tours, grammy's and other events. Even Achtung Baby fell out of the top 10 quickly relative to JT, and made it back in almost half a year later.

If HTTAAB was really a bomb in the US like Pop and to a lesser extent like Zooropa, it would have followed their pattern. Decent intitial sales, a couple of weeks in the top 10, but then a
quick and conistent decline, and off the charts in a few months. HTTAAB is not following that pattern in any way.

PS. You're right that Canada is different when it comes to U2. HTTAAB is at number 5 this week (hasn't left the top 5)...not that sales make a good album.

jick said:
During the first two weeks of release, buyers haven't really heard the album yet (save for the few Internet geeks like us) and word of mouth has not spread about its quality or lack thereof. At this point, albums are usually bought on the basis of: (1) the first single, (2) marketing promotion, and (3) critic reviews. Now let's pick apart HTDAAB on these three assumptions:

(1) U2 got the first single covered with a hard-rocking uptempo song with Vertigo which was everywhere from the iPod ads, to radio play, and an eye-candy music video.

(2) U2 were not short of marketing promotion - from the publicity mileage gained from the France lost cd odyssey, to the Clinton library visit, to the TOTP and SNL performances, to the iPod ads that seemed to be shown every time on TV, and as background music to the top TV shows (like CSI).

(3) U2 literally had full control of the critic reviews. Most critics could only review HTDAAB on listening sessions setup by U2 - which mean only one listen for the whole album. No time to rewind and reply to check on some key moments of some songs or to let the songs grow or fade. Just a one-time listen, a video explaining the album, and a media kit to use as reference in writing the reviews. So the listeners reviews based on first listen and didn't have any advanced copy to personally pick apart through multiple listens in the comforts of their own home. So all the reviews were generally good.

U2 had the first two weeks covered with over 1 million in sales -the primary reason not being the actual content and quality of the album yet but more on the top three factors listed above.

Now for the next three weeks, word of mouth about album quality will start to creep in but this will just be minimal since two weeks isn't enough time to let the album grow yet. Hell, some of the buyers probably just have had Vertigo in repeat mode by this time. So the sales for the next three weeks were also helped by: (a) media mileage, and (b) holiday season.

(a) Thanks to the first two weeks, the entire America were so intrigued about this album that beat Eminem in sales and sold a million copies in two weeks. U2's strong debut was all over the news as being the highest selling first week ever by and band. People needed to know what the fuss was all about.

(b) Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas season kicked in so everyone had money. An album bought by 1 million people just had to be a safe Christmas gift.

After the intial anticipation and holiday buying spree, the album now to stand in its own two feet. After averaging over 400,000 units sold per week with chart positions of 1-2-2-5-3 in its first five weeks, the post-holiday hangover had U2 drop 11 places and sell only 90,000 units in its 6th week! The next week saw another drop with sales of only 60,000.

U2 tried to right the ship by releasing their second single "All Because Of You" to MTV while indicators show that it had been getting increased radio airply (not that anyone listens to the radio these days). Despite the second single, there was no push - just another pull down. U2 got a 20% drop to 48,000 in sales all despite a second single!

My conclusion is that HTDAAB is an album in the vein of Zooropa and POP - meaning it doesn't quite appeal to American tastes as much. Let's call a spade a spade and be blunt about it - the high intitial sales weren't a product of album acceptance but a product of heavy marketing and holiday sales. If the quality were really desireable, word on mouth should have been spreading now with every friend telling their other friend to buy HTDAAB.

Let's contrast HTDAAB to American Idiot by Green Day whose album has been out for 17 weeks now (around two months earlier than HTDAAB) and is only now starting to get stronger (2-1-1 chart positions the last three weeks!). I'd say Green Day is getting stronger as people are realizing that it is a great album, while HTDAAB is in the abrupt decline as people are realizing that it doesn't fit their tastes.

Post-Christmas sales to me would be the indication of HTDAAB's "leg" and longevity. It would indicate whether the album would really be accepted on its own merit outside of marketing. Now after three weeks, there already seems to be a trend and Americans are rejecting HTDAAB.

So what do you guys think about this analysis? What elements in HTDAAB make it not as accepted in America as Green Day? Do you agree that HTDAAB is more on the vein of POP and Zooropa as opposed to the American-friendly Joshua Tree and ATYCLB? How would you characterize American musical tastes?

Cheers,

J

You're right...

HTDAAB is destined to be in the top 3 best selling albums in U2's cannon. 3 mil already and still at the top and they still have released SYCMIOYO which will ignite sales along with the grammys.

This album is being bought by first time U2 listeners and will keep U2 relevant.

Some of you are so off in your evaluation

Love you the same

plus U2 cares more about America then any other country minus Ireland. That is WELLL documented. Yes there is a ton of crap - but if you have even one ear to the ground in this country you will find a HUGE indie scene that is producing some of the most incredible music

Just want to point out that it has only sold about 2.3 million, the RIAA certifications are for shipments to stores, not sales.

The album is very strong but will need a second big single to reach ATYCLB or go past it. ABOY will not do it, we need Sometimes... to be a hit.

American musical tastes these days, to me, are very drive-thru-ish. Particularly the critical 15-23 market.

There seems to be little desire by that segment to build a one-band allegiance, ala U2, because the musical industry has created nothing but conveyor belt bands. It's quite a give and take actually. This is high turnover music environment where the average length of stay - by "stay" I mean quality albums - for an American band rivals seems < than 2 mediocre albums. It's merely about the great single versus the great album. You hear a great tune, download it, assume the band will not produce anything nearing that quality again, and move on to the search for the next single.

I actually more amazed that U2 has kept such a good market presence. They have a solid base that seems to extend back to UF and JT; but they've also seem to have expanded to a base with roots that started with Achtung, Zooropa, or Pop. That crowd really seems to want the band to continue to push their sound further and further into the tech mold. While the UF/JT/earlier works-base would rather have a mix of that and/or or stay with the winning formula of JT.

In terms of the quick chart slide of HTDAAB, I think most are right regarding the second release - ABOY. It's a good song, but too drab off the heels of Vertigo. I would have stuck with the IPOD video commerical formula to push single after single. Keep going to the well until it's dry...

U2 has outlived so many "flavours of the moment". In the early eighties, it was New Wave, in the late eighties, hair metal bands. In the nineties, it was grunge and BritPop, and in the late 90s and this decade it was rap and Nu metal. How many bands can you name from all those periods of U2's existence that can still produce a # 1 album with 3 millions Cds in just a couple of months. Twenty Years from now? Acts like Eminem and Linkin Park are the flavours of the moment now, but how will they be doing 10 years from now (though LPs actually pretty good stuff).

Back
Top Bottom