HTDAAB Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Yep, it's true - I love this album and it's a bit boring reading people not liking it or whatever, so here, let's be positive for a change! Ok nothing can compare to AB in my mind (*hugs AB*) but that doesn't mean this album isn't great. I think it's brilliant. From Vertigo to Fast Cars it's a great ride and there are so many fab moments musically and lyrically. Every time I listen to the songs on there I like them better and better. I've even managed to not mind A Man and A Woman so much (that was the only one I didn't like to start with).

I actually first listened to the album all the way through on a train home from Glasgow. I'd had the album but you know when you're busy and you stick it on and don't really pay proper attention. I had the headphones and all, and I just thought, WOW, this album is amazing, and I've loved it since.

I'd say my fave tracks are Vertigo (it's a song with many memories for me and my friends!), Love & Peace, All Because Of You (and I hate when people slag it off - it rocks!), Sometimes... and I love Fast Cars too. Yahweh I didn't appreciate as much until I heard it live, I really loved the way they arranged the song on tour.

So yeah. Great album, underrated I think, and proof that U2 still have it ;)

You know I've been listening to AB lately and I'll never understand why this is so many people's die hard album. In comparision I think HTDAAB rocks. I think it is great the whole way through. Except maybe One Step Closer. It is the first time I have loved an entire U2 album since Pop.

Well this isn't the AB thread so I won't go into why I'd marry the album if it was legal ;) But I do love this one in an entirely different way.

I'm listenin to it now in full for the 1st time in a while. I've recently just been skipping to certain songs.
I can honestly say tho that nearly a year on, there isnt 1 song I dislike. And I still LOVE A Man And A Woman, by far my fave track...:drool:

Really AB is the only album I totally like from start to finish. Bomb is one that grew on me, I like it a lot, maybe slightly better than ATCYLB, which was their best album since AB, so I guess this makes Bomb for me the best U2 album since AB.

Love BAMAAW

I love this song it is my current favorite:heart:. What do you think the song is about? Who is he talking to? I just want to get other people's opinion

Overall COBL is my favorite song from this album and my #3 fav. of all U2's stuff.

"U2 dropped a bomb"

Favorite parts from Atomic Bomb

Vertigo: That MONSTER riff. Plus the Octoberesque middle eight. Fantastic song. Too bad it got over played but it's regrowing on me.

Sometimes: The whole song. I lost my father to cancer in March of this year after barely a three month battle. Those last two nights he was alive, as he lay struggling to breath; I don't even know if he was conscious anymore; I sang this to him: Tough, you think you’ve got the stuff, you’re telling me and anyone you’re hard enough. You don’t have to put up a fight, you don’t have to always be right. let me take some of the punches for you tonight. Listen to me now, I need to let you know, you don’t have to go it alone.

I get tears in my eyes every time I hear this song.

LPOE: Second verse where the entire band kicks in. It's just such a monster.

COBL: Can it be anything other than "OH YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL TONIGHT!!" This was the song and the line that struck out at me when I first heard the album. I couldn't wait to hear the crowd's reaction live. I was expecting crowd involvement along the lines of All I Want Is You, Pride, or 40. Curiously, I've been underwhelmed. But the album cut still kicks ass.

ABOY: That frenetic second rhythem guitar that kicks in right after that opening note before it's gets buried under the acoustic guitar. I wish it had stayed more prominent and then not faded out all together except for during the chorus.

AMAAW: Bono's "Little Sister" rocks. I love the note he hits. And Adam's bass line is too good.

Crumbs: Whole song. Like Vertigo, the band just clicks here for me from Edge's opening notes, to Bono's passion in the message, to the poppy hook formula of the song itself.

OOTS: Love the chorus and the way the song builds to a climax after the first verse. Plus it's got Edge's ringing guitar tones brought forward in time from 1987 so I'm a happy camper with this song.

Yahweh: Absolutely brilliant song from the epic guitar to the sweeping piano, but it's the clever and gorgeous lyrics that really do it for me. Exceptional.

Last edited:
Aygo said:
Yes, we need. There is too much unfair bashing to this album. It's their best album IMO. And I think anything else will make me change my opinion now.

You really think that this is THEIR best album! Your not called Steve Lilywhite by any chance?:wink:

You really think that this is THEIR best album! Your not called Steve Lilywhite by any chance?

Yes, I really think it's their best album. It is not a question of liking or not Lillywhite's production. That subject is wasted here, and as everybody has seen... Steve didn't produce the whole album and that's a relative thing.
But I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds this album great.
Thank god, I'm not one of those fans (are they really?) who got themselves stuck in the 90's (Pop or Zooropa or AB are the only good great albums for them) and are enable to listen and find great anything that are post-Pop.
Well, I'm out of that. This decade, the band may have been less innovative, but I admire the consistance of their past last 2 albums (especially The Bomb).
HTDAAB is an album that shows coherence, there are not IMO any bad/mediocre song in there and I like the production, etc etc...

sorry, for this explosion... but I love this album...:combust: :sad:
Hugzzz

lardence said:
Yay I'm glad lots of people are agreeing with me! It's a great album.

I agree with you lardence....:giggle: Lardence..I really love LAPOE and Fast Cars and COBL...ok who am I kidding I let the whole CD play:dance:

Aygo said:

This decade, the band may have been less innovative, but I admire the consistance of their past last 2 albums (especially The Bomb).

Consistence is correct for the post Pop releases. But middle of the road, unchallenging and MORIBUND also fit perfectly as well. In fact moribund is the perfect word to describe U2 post Pop. :wink:

Just looked over at the Captions Thread!!!! HI Kat:wave: I love the new name and pic!!!:up:

Aygo said:

Yes, I really think it's their best album. It is not a question of liking or not Lillywhite's production. That subject is wasted here, and as everybody has seen... Steve didn't produce the whole album and that's a relative thing.
But I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds this album great.
Thank god, I'm not one of those fans (are they really?) who got themselves stuck in the 90's (Pop or Zooropa or AB are the only good great albums for them) and are enable to listen and find great anything that are post-Pop.
Well, I'm out of that. This decade, the band may have been less innovative, but I admire the consistance of their past last 2 albums (especially The Bomb).
HTDAAB is an album that shows coherence, there are not IMO any bad/mediocre song in there and I like the production, etc etc...

sorry, for this explosion... but I love this album...:combust: :sad:
Hugzzz

:up: Summed up about 50 of 500-odd posts in one paragraph. The 90's fans do get "Stuck In A Moment They Can't Get Out Of" as I like to call it. The last 2 albums are both masterpieces, and I will never tire of them.

Consistence is correct for the post Pop releases. But middle of the road, unchallenging and MORIBUND also fit perfectly as well. In fact moribund is the perfect word to describe U2 post Pop.

Yeah ok... Stay with your thoughts, mate...
I guess that sometimes I can't make it on my own...:(

:up:

A very good album, their best since AB. The only song I can't get to enjoy as much as the others is A man and a woman (even though I usually like acoustic guitar-heavy songs), possibly because it sticks out too much.

I love HTDAAB because it's such a consistent album. I can see exactly why some might despise it for its more 'poppier' elements but for me, it's a perfect mix between straight forward rock-outs to deeper emotional songs too. Even the apparently superficial songs can have deeper meanings. Still aren't a fan of One Step Closer or Fast Cars though.

Back
Top Bottom