HTDAAB Alternates vs. Album Versions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I just got a bunch of the iTunes Unreleased & Rare tracks (thanks, LM!) and I immediately wanted to hear the alternate verions of the HTDAAB songs. Overall, they're pretty darn good! Since the internet lets nuts like me post whatever the hell they please, here are my thoughts on the different versions. I'd love to hear your opinion:

Vertigo vs. Native Son:
While the lyrics might be a bit cooler on Native Son and the song sounds great when you first hear it, I have to agree with Bono on this one---Native Son is great the first few times, but loses its umph after a few listens; meanwhile, Vertigo rocks on strong each time you hear it. Winner--Vertigo.

All Because of You (album) vs. All Because of You (alternate):
The opening lyrics of the album version just flow so much better than the opening words on the alternate version. Also, "all because of you--I am" just clicks more than whatever Bono says instead of "I am" on the alternate version ("I'm down?" is that it?). I will say that the Bono falsetto on the alternate version is awesome---it's very 1979-80 U2. Winner---album version, though with props to alternate version.

SYCMIOYO (album) vs. SYCMIOYO (alternate):
The alternate's instrumentals sound very Zooropa-esque, almost like a hint of The Wanderer in there. I think I like the simplicity of the album version's intro, however. The additional verse ("when I was a young boy") in the alternate version is pretty cool, though I guess the song does just as well without it. The two things lacking in the alternate version are the falsetto "And it's you when I" portion and the few lines before "Siiiiiiing." You really notice the latter, and I think the alternate version lags without it. One neat thing is that there is a slightly different emotional tone between the two: in the alternate version, Bono sounds sad & drained, while there's more of an agony in the album version. Subtle difference, but it's what I got. Overall, winner--album version, though the alternate version is very enjoyable.

Yahweh (album) vs. Yahweh (alternate):
Big difference is that the album version has lower register vocals doubling up with the high register on most of the lyrics, while the alternate version has only the high register on top of louder instrumentals. I like the blend of the two vocals--adds a nice complexity that you don't get with just louder instrumentals. Album version's "His love is like a drop in the ocean" is definitely much better than the alternate's "is as loud as the ocean." A few other differences, too, but I'm too lazy to mention them all. All in all, I think the winner is the album version---it's just tighter and a little less sleepy than the alternate version.

Fast Cars vs. Xanax & Wine:
I've loved Fast Cars ever since I downloaded it a few months ago. It's such a joy to listen to--and the apparent Spanish/Arabic influence (right?) is pretty un-U2, which makes it great. However, I just listened to
Xanax & Wine and--whoa! So many great new things! Edge's "Streets"-esque threading after the intro riff kicks ass. Edge singing "Coz I worry all the time" is awesome. The only negative I could think of about X&W is that some of the added lyrical portions don't fit as tightly----such as the "Take me, save me from myself" etc. part that comes after Edge's 'Streets'-esque riff a few times. Still, while that part doesn't quite fit with the rest of the song (the lyrics do, but not the tune), it sounds awesome. I'd love to have seen it put somewhere on the album somehow. Winner---Xanax & Wine. I was gonna give 'em a tie, saying that Fast Cars is tighter, but I just love every bit of the added material in Xanax & Wine, making it my winner.

Whew! Sorry so long-winded! :wink: I'd love to hear what people think of my madness!:drunk:

almost totally disagree. I'd go into detail but I just made a long post on another forum.

Native Son>>>>>>>>Vertigo
ABOY alt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ABOY album
Yahweh alt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yahweh album
Xanax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fast Cars

and finally I say both Sometimes are boring, the album version has a nice bridge and the alternate has better verse guitar. Overall the album version is better.

Utoo said:
However, I just listened to
Xanax & Wine and--whoa! So many great new things! Edge's "Streets"-esque threading after the intro riff kicks ass. Edge singing "Coz I worry all the time" is awesome. The only negative I could think of about X&W is that some of the added lyrical portions don't fit as tightly----such as the "Take me, save me from myself" etc. part that comes after Edge's 'Streets'-esque riff a few times. Still, while that part doesn't quite fit with the rest of the song (the lyrics do, but not the tune), it sounds awesome. I'd love to have seen it put somewhere on the album somehow. Winner---Xanax & Wine. I was gonna give 'em a tie, saying that Fast Cars is tighter, but I just love every bit of the added material in Xanax & Wine, making it my winner.

Streets-esque in Xanax and Wine? What on earth are you talking about? And you say the only negative is the chorus to that song which is absolutely fantastic. Good Lord.

I'll leave you alone to find some people who agree with you. I am not sure I am on the same planet.

To me the only place the album loses is ABOY. I hate the album version, love the alternate.

Though I can't comment on Fast Cars vs. Xanax & Wine. I don't like either and never listen to them.

Re: Re: HTDAAB Alternates vs. Album Versions

U2DMfan said:

Streets-esque in Xanax and Wine? What on earth are you talking about? And you say the only negative is the chorus to that song which is absolutely fantastic. Good Lord.

I agree that the chorus is awesome---I think it's the best part of the song and what makes X&W better than Fast Cars. I think that the transition from the Fast Cars verses to that chorus is abrupt & doesn't work as smoothly as it should to be an excellent song or a single. However, like I said, I love that part in and of itself, and I'd love to have seen it get more play somewhere on the album.

As for the Streets-esque part of X&W, it's hard for me to describe, as I'm a fledgling guitar player & don't know any of the terms. What I'm talking about is the "chk-a-chk-a-chk-a-chk-a" (for lack of better terms!) that Edge does at the line "All i want is a picture..." in X&W. He does the same thing in Streets---you can faintly hear it around 1:12 or so on JT's Streets, and it's what he primarily plays around that part when they play it live. I didn't mean the intro or really any major part of Streets--just that little hint.

Personally, I tend to prefer the album versions. I did prefer Vertigo a lot, but now I'm a bit undecided as Native Son's lyrics are better. I've never really had an opinion either way about ABOY - and now this single mix of ABOY just gives me a third version to not really have an opinion about. I like all three, none jumps out at me as better or worse and it's not a standout song like COBL so I'm not going to sit there and analyse it to form an opinion. I definitely prefer the album Yahweh, though I think the live version is the best incarnation of that song.

The alternate SYCMIOYO is probably best left forgotten. I really don't enjoy it. It feels very uninspired to me, which is the last thing you'd catch me saying about the HTDAAB or live version. And as far as Fast Cars vs Xanax And Wine goes, while the latter is pretty neat, the way Bono sings "xanax and wine" grates on my ears after a couple of listens. I generally prefer the vocals of Fast Cars and it gets the nod from me.

Album versions on all.

Alternates sound like unfinished ideas. Demos.

And Yahweh doesn't count. It was an alternate mix, not an alternate version. In fact, it almost made the album.

MrBrau1 said:
Album versions on all.

Alternates sound like unfinished ideas. Demos.

And Yahweh doesn't count. It was an alternate mix, not an alternate version. In fact, it almost made the album.

I'm sorry but Native Son sounds quite finished to me.

Vertigo > Native Son

NS has a better bridge though and arguably better lyrics...Vertigo just has "it." I can't explain it. and Native Son doesn't have the attitude of an angry political song...that's just not what I hear in the music, I hear a fun and awesome rock song, like Vertigo.

Sometimes > Alt Sometimes

It's a tough choice, I love both...the alternate Sometimes is darker, more sorrowful. and very Zooropa-ish. And I kind of like it without the chorus, just having "sometimes...you can't make it...on your own. sometimes you can't make it...on your own." Also, interesting to have the instruments pull back during SIIIIIING instead of swell up...however I think overall the album version is better, because the falsetto chorus IS good (especially the last time), I like the intro better (though I do like the alt. one), and I love the line "If we weren't so alike you'd like me a whole lot more." The album version fits better with the HTDAAB feel and just seems more finished... I don't know. I love them both, but the album version is somehow better.

ABOY < Alt ABOY

Better lyrics, more awesome guitar sounds, better mix...it's just better. I don't know why they picked the version they did. The alternate version is so much more raw and killer.

Yahweh < Alt Yahweh

The alternate version just sounds so much better. I never even listen to the album version anymore, it's far too bright. Also, I love the line "Take these blue eyes...take these blue eyes...take these eyes and make them see." And the end is better. The whole thing is just better. I was hoping this was how they'd do it live, though I do like the acoustic version.

Fast Cars < Xanax

I like the unique Arabic-influenced sound of Fast Cars, but Xanax is more rockin', and I like Edge's guitar more. And it has a better chorus.

It's three to two in favor of the alternate versions... I may have liked the album that was ready for release in 2003 more than the one we got. Who knows? I'd like to hear what the other songs sounded like, I wonder if they were much different then?

Re: Re: Re: HTDAAB Alternates vs. Album Versions

Utoo said:

As for the Streets-esque part of X&W, it's hard for me to describe, as I'm a fledgling guitar player & don't know any of the terms. What I'm talking about is the "chk-a-chk-a-chk-a-chk-a" (for lack of better terms!) that Edge does at the line "All i want is a picture..." in X&W. He does the same thing in Streets---you can faintly hear it around 1:12 or so on JT's Streets, and it's what he primarily plays around that part when they play it live. I didn't mean the intro or really any major part of Streets--just that little hint.

that is muted strings. And Edge uses it quite a bit here and there, especially on Streets live. I can see it now, I had no idea what you meant from your first post, I was thinking the ringing delay etc.

Vertigo > Native Son

All Because of You (Single Mix) > All Because of You (album) > All Because of You (Demo)

Sometimes > Sometimes (alternate)

Yaweh (alternate) > Yaweh (album)

Xanax & Wine > Fast Cars

Mecry > everything since Lemon

I did see Vertigo on the SNL re-run the other night and thought it was awesome. Great version.

Although I think it highlighted one major difference in the two songs. While this version of Vertigo was rocking and balls out, the bridge "all of this can be yours" dragged and almost seemed like it didn't fit. And on Native Son, you have a full out rock and roll bridge with Bono belting out "FREEE" for about 8 seconds.
I think in this comparison of bridges Native Son is Muhammed Ali and Vertigo is Gerry Cooney.

Still it was a great version of the song.

ABOY alternate version is so much better than the album version it's not even funny.

I prefer the album version of all, except Yahweh. I love the alternate Yahweh. Think it should have been the one on the album.

I think this topic could have been very interseting and possibly diffrent if the alternative versions had been heard First.

Anyway for my money

Vertigo Over Native Son

Im not a great fan of either but Vertigo is just btter to my ears. Just give me what i want and no-one gets hurt.

Sometimes (Alt.) over Sometimes

This is the version sung at Bonos fathers funeral and i belive this could have taken off live. Also bono didn't really want to add the falsetto. The rawness of the track makes it better as well... its' got a piece of rough emtoion which makes it even more beautiful, which is possible.

ABOY (alt) over ABOY (Album)

Again, the raw-edge on this track just gives it the nod. The lyrics are also a bit better. And i don't like the original ABOY by U2 standards. Polish is good, but it can be applied to much. Some of these tracks almost 'squeak' in the same way wood does when it is polished to much.

Yahweh (Alt) over Yahweh

Again could have been a fantastic song on the album, but does give it a diffrent meaning. A slightly brighter and even mroe beautiful mix

Fast Cars over Xanax

its just diffrent isn't it? Xanax is much more of a straightfoward 'rock-out' song, where as fast cars just gives a diffrent feeling. Then again i do like some of the vocals in Xanax, but then again a teriffic chorus in Fast cars.. theydo me no harm.

So that HTDAAB Tracklist in Full
1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Sometimes (Alt)
4. Miracle Drug
5. Smile
6. LaPoE
7. ABOY
8. Mercy
9. Crumbs
10. A Man and a Woman
11. Original
12. Yahweh
13. Fast Cars [bonus]

No one step closer, Sorry the fans of that song

Miricale_Drug said:
I think this topic could have been very interseting and possibly diffrent if the alternative versions had been heard First.

Agreed--it's always hard to objectively listen to things a different way once you've gotten used to the original. For example, a lot of people like putting Beautiful Ghost at the start of JT, but I've listened to the album so many thousands of times that I can't see anything but Streets starting it!

U2DMfan said:

that is muted strings.

Thanks. I've been teaching myself guitar here and there over the last few months, so I still know next to nothing! But I can play a mean acoustic NYD... :wink:

I prefer all of the album versions over the alternates, with the exception of Xanax and Wine. On a previous thread, I think I was a little harsh on Fast Cars, which is a song that I actually like quite a bit, especially in it's Middle Eastern influence. However, I just seem to prefer the more stripped down, rockin' quality of Xanax, don't know why.

Interesting topic...

Vertigo vs Native Son

When I heard Native Son a few months later after the releasing of Vertigo, I just thought to myself: thank God that they didn't follow with this thing. I mean, the primary Vertigo version is very good too and the lyrics are more elaborated but... it hasn't got the strenght of Vertigo and in the live performances it'd be more... weak. Great production on the album Vertigo.

SYCMIOYO (album) vs SYCMIOYO (alt.)

Album version better. Best production, ideas more structurated and consistent. However, I have to admit that if the alternate version was the final version I'd be happy with it. It's more emotional, and the chorus works too without the falsetto. The only thing is that the alternate version would not fit in the spirit of the reat of the songs.

All because of you: album vs alternate vs single mix

Confession: ABOY was my favourite song by the time the album came out, and it still does make me happy. I just love that riff in the intro/refrain and the solo is amazing. The lyrics are funny, but not crappy as many people claim. The single mix made a great improvement of the album version, but... album version is album version... About the alternate version, I disagree about better lyrics, IMO they're worse and sound too... made at that minute. and that great riff seems lost there and the chorus has not the power of the album version, is too repititive and unfinished.

Yahweh (album) vs Yahweh (alternate)

Album version! This song became my favourite song of the band of all time. So bright, so clean, so brilliant, so expressive, so natural. And that version reminds me the October album because of its production. However... I have to admit that the alternate version has a best bridge than the album version and in general it sounds good too.
Good note for the acoustic version played live... I love it too, very emotive too.

Fast Cars vs Xanax And Wine

Tied! Tied because these songs... well, they're not the same song anymore, despite the similar lyrics. Fast Cars has that arabic feeling, something that U2 hasn't got explored much and it sounds something new and fresh... the final result is great.
Xanax and wine is a great rock song! Good riffs, and a great "overview" of the song... It's powerful too.

Back
Top Bottom