HTDAAB Album Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fanfromTX

Babyface
Vertigo - Great verses, especially the second. Weak chorus. Begins and ends nicely. Sounds like a hodge-podge of musical ideas that work well collectively when thrown together.

Miracle Drug - The Unforgettable Fire meets All That You Can't Leave Behind. Great background vocals. Very good lyrics, except the "newborn baby's head" line. This song would be great live.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - They should have called it "Tough." Outstanding lyrics and music. Classic Edge. This is one of my two favorite songs on this album.

Love and Peace or Else - As unique as Bullet the Blue Sky was when it came out. I cannot imagine the tour setlist not including this song. It begs to be played live.

City of Blinding Lights - Develops slowly. I started liking this song mid-way through the first chorus. Nice keyboards. As long as Bad, but not nearly as good.

All Because of You - Bono needs to retire the word "grace" from his repertoire. Horrible chorus--horrible lyrics all around. But musically this song is incredible. Great intro and lead guitar.

A Man And A Woman - There's a lot of "I love it" and "I hate it" out there about this song. I'm in the "I love it" camp. You could add this song to the Wide Awake In America EP and it would fit in perfectly. This song is my favorite on this album. The lyrics are some of the best Bono has ever written. If this song were to be released as a single, it would top the charts. Great bass guitar but I'll get to that later. And tell me, does this not sound like the Bono of old?

Crumbs From Your Table - Definitely a modern era song. While the song is complete, it doesn't strike me as especially noteworthy.

One Step Closer - This song is a nice change of pace for the album. It should have been the last song. With the album theme being "love," closing with "one step closer to knowing" would have been a good call, and would have hinted at more (albums) to come.

Original of the Species - Another lyric Bono needs to retire is any lyric having to do with kneeling and/or being on one's knees. I'm not quite sold on this song yet. By this time next year I will be.

Yahweh - This song disappoints me. I expected a reverent, psalm-like song. It doesn't come close. Fast Cars should have been included on the North America version instead of this song.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Everyone raves that this album is all about the Edge. I disagree. This is Adam Clayton's album. Pay attention to the bass lines. Almost every song on this album has killer bass lines. It's time for Adam to get his due. This is a very mature album. It will stand the test of time and be among the top three, along with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

Good review of AMAAW. Though not sure if it would get to no.1 here in the UK:eyebrow:
Its a shame, but the Singles buying public in England tend to opt for shite these days.

U2fanfromTX said:
A Man And A Woman - There's a lot of "I love it" and "I hate it" out there about this song. I'm in the "I love it" camp. You could add this song to the Wide Awake In America EP and it would fit in perfectly. This song is my favorite on this album. The lyrics are some of the best Bono has ever written. If this song were to be released as a single, it would top the charts. Great bass guitar but I'll get to that later. And tell me, does this not sound like the Bono of old?[/B]

Sometimes I'm wondering If I got some other song by mistake instead of AMAAW...:eyebrow:

good review. welcome to the site, and adam does shine the most of this album. Edge is there with him, but Clayton is the man !!

Re: Re: HTDAAB Album Review

TheBrazilianFly said:

But it's like that in almost every album! Adam never disappoints! :adam:

I'm no musician, and I have a really hard time distinguishing the bass line from guitar/drums! Ok, WOWY has very distinctive bassline, but others are less obvious.
Maybe it's just me. Like I said, I have absolutely zero musical talent, I just love appreciating other people's, esp. U2!

Back
Top Bottom