Howmuch I wish U2 would

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 should drop the HTDAAB/ATYCLB style and go back to where they are good in; Experimental music... Why not try another Zooropa/Pop/AchtungBaby experiment?

Neilz said:
U2 should drop the HTDAAB/ATYCLB style and go back to where they are good in; Experimental music... Why not try another Zooropa/Pop/AchtungBaby experiment?

Because people on this forum would have nothing to argue about? :shrug:

@U2 has an article that says that Bono thinks they are now at their best (of course they say that all the time, but still)...

That really doesn't give me a good feeling... Although ATYCLB was ok, I hoped it would be a one-time-style change... Like POP...

But HTDAAB was a real disappointment to me, also because Eno and Lanois were nog involved and now Bono claims that HTDAAB is their best work and the new album will be produced by Jacknife Lee... What will it bring...

The other thing is... while I do enjoy melodic old school metal, I'm almost sure they won't go in this direction because that genre is pretty much dead now. And U2 is all about reaching a wide audience. I fear they'll instead go in the nu metal direction which I think will be a disaster of catastrophic proportions!

I think the next album will be a lot rockier, with louder guitars, but not metal. At least I hope not.

Not only U2 would loose fans (as they do each album they release) but they wouldn't reach much new fans too.
Metal is a dead style, that only reachs now those who like the style.

Nu metal? I don't think U2 is much passionated to by that style and not trying that genre. It is in vogue now, but in 5-7 years will it be?

What I didn't get the poin is why "U2 should drop the HTDAAB/ATYCLB style and go back to where they are good in; Experimental music... Why not try another Zooropa/Pop/AchtungBaby experiment?"... This is not what we're talking about. It doesn't have much to do about the thread subject. That's why every thread ends in this.

Louder guitars in their next works? Probably, if (this time:wink: ) Bono's comments are more accurate. Metal? I guess not...

U2 will not lost fans. Disgruntled fans will bitch and moan but always stay on board with discussion forums. A lot of fans cling to a certain era of U2 that touched them and the rest is something they don't relate to.

I agree with Acrobat Man in the sense that something heavier would be a lot of fun. U2 can do whatever U2 wants at this point, especially now that everyone is on alert for their next album to be more of the same feel as the last two albums.

I don't think it will be heavy metal but heavy experimental might be fun. Some of my favorite tracks are those that punch you in the gut with rhythm section and wailing Edge guitar while Bono has a crisis of faith i.e. "MOFO", "PLEASE", "ACROBAT", "UNITL THE END OF THE WORLD"

Contrary to what some say about the last two albums, I actually like them. They were the right albums during the right time. I think there is a restlessness in the band now that the fans can sense that comes from an extended U2 history...they are about to shake things up a just a little bit.

I will not say that they should take this or that musical direction. But whatever direction they take; I hope they go with their gut and risk bad reviews and disgruntled fans. Some of my favorite stuff of theirs is the stuff that didn't get much respect at the time.

AcrobatMan said:
Bring out a METAL album !!

Get a guy from Tool, Disturbed or Opeth...

And collaborate U2's first metal album

Wait...... isn't Tool, Disturbed, Opeth..... all the same band with one drawn out boring song that they just change a few words too?

If it's a metal album at least make it like say Maiden, Dio, Sabbath..........

Neilz said:
@U2 has an article that says that Bono thinks they are now at their best (of course they say that all the time, but still)...

That really doesn't give me a good feeling... Although ATYCLB was ok, I hoped it would be a one-time-style change... Like POP...

But HTDAAB was a real disappointment to me, also because Eno and Lanois were nog involved and now Bono claims that HTDAAB is their best work and the new album will be produced by Jacknife Lee... What will it bring...

I both get and don't get your feelings.

I "get it" partly because after listening to the beach clips, I'm unimpressed. If U2's next work is nothing but the slower sounds of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, then I might finally have to pass. I've always found something to enjoy on every album - in fact, several somethings. But if the next album is that slower style with a slightly more upbeat tempo - the type that's been done 100000000 times before - then that's not for me. A token song or two like that is great, but not the whole album.

I "don't get it" because when I listen to HTDAAB, I hear a definite advancement over ATYCLB.

ATYCLB came out at the perfect time in U2's career. They had taken that exploratory phase as far as they could go, and with diminishing results. AB sold well and the tour was a success. "Zooropa" saw a drop in sales, but it wasn't nearly promoted the same way as AB - and not at all in the U.S. The fact that it was #1 for a few weeks and wend Double Platinum is an accomplishment. Still, it was a decline and a big one. Then comes "Pop", with another big tour and big promotion - and it fizzles. It was clear fans wanted something else from U2 - and U2 delivered!

HTDAAB takes some of the best aspects of ATYCLB and then advances them. No, not every song works, but I'm puzzled by those who say they really dislike this album. It has enough "old school" U2 in it that should please fans of ATYCLB or the 80's work, yet it also has enough experimental tracks that should have kept 90's fans interested. It has slow mellow tracks along with some great rockers. It has personal moments, along with politcal statements. So I'm stunned by those who just don't like this album. What more do you want? I often feel it's not U2 - it's you! It's time for YOU to move on from U2 as clearly they aren't doing it for you any more. I'm not sure who can replace them as I haven't heard anything lately that's nearly good enough, but that's for you to discover.

Still, as I indicated in the first paragraph, if the next album is nothing but the very "pop" songs of ATYCLB or slower melodies of HTDAAB, then I might be right with you trying to find that new band.

doctorwho said:

it also has enough experimental tracks that should have kept 90's fans interested.

:eyebrow: What exactly does it have in the form of experimental tracks? LAPOE? That song is totally lame-o in my opinion, compared to the 90s trilogy.

:down:

I want Madlib to produce their new album and inject some well needed jazz-hop into their music

Doctorwho, I suspect that one of the reasons you're feeling that the beach clips sound regressive is because of what you're hearing: melodies.

Since the sound quality is poor, all that is sitting on the surface is the melody, and quite frankly, I could see why they wouldn't surprise everyone.

The fact is that HTDAAB, if you're listening to just the melodies, really isn't much of a progression from ATYCLB. However, HTDAAB is a progression in production. The albums sound completely different, and ultimately have different goals.

With beach clips, however, you can't hear these nuances, so don't be surprised if the finished product and these clips are night and day to each other.

What exactly does it have in the form of experimental tracks? LAPOE? That song is totally lame-o in my opinion, compared to the 90s trilogy.

What's the "in my opinion" for? You don't have to reach the point to say it every post:wink: ...
U2 has never made a regression to the 70's decade and tried songs that in a way or another they could sound like Led Zeppelin or The Who.
Yes, Achtung Baby has a bit of it, but it was more evident during the 1990's recording sessions, because it vanished after the production and the conclusion of final versions.
LAPOE may be a BTBS wannabe, but there's no other song sounding like that. It's kind of new for the band's work.
ABOY may have a deja-vu feeling in the arrangement and may have poor lyrics and flat production, but U2 had never tried a song that could sound like early The Who.
Then, Fast Cars and AMAAW are kind of different too. Yes, we had acoustic-based songs in the previous album like IALW and Wild Honey, but no other song in U2's catalogue sound like a Maroon5 track with romantic holidays in Paris feeling.
And Fast Cars? Ok, it's not on the final tracklist, but can you name me any other U2 song that sound like the band playing in Rabat in the middle of a arabic market?

Aygo said:
And Fast Cars? Ok, it's not on the final tracklist, but can you name me any other U2 song that sound like the band playing in Rabat in the middle of a arabic market?

Mysterious Ways.

HTDAAB is a progression from ATYCLB since:
ATYCLB has Wild Honey, Stuck In A Moment, In A Little While, Grace that are no 100% rockers... neither is Peace On Earth. Beautiful Day has drum machines+synths opening and closing, Elevation has lots of samples with hip-hop lyrics.
HTDAAB has AMAAW, a acoustic guitar-based song; One Step Closer, a atmospheric song that could perfectily be a slow rock song in its original form; Fast Cars (description posted above). Aren't the other songs rock? Isn't Vertigo rock because of it's foolish lyrics? Isn't Yahweh rock because of keyboards? Isn't OOTS rock because of the piano+fake orchestra?

It's not a question of defense, it's a question of separating things and explain why both albums are different.
It's about opening your eyes (or should I say ears?) and discern it, it's easier than saying ATYCLB part II, believe me...

Zootlesque said:

Mysterious Ways.

Yeah, because of the tambourine and the guitar riff... and the video clip?
I remebered MW too, but they're way very diferent songs...

Mysterious Ways has arabic feelings but doesn't sound more traditional as FC does...

I like the amount of 'rock' U2 puts into their music.. its not too hard and not too soft. I dont care much for 'heavy metal' :crack:

Fast cars, LAPOE, ABOY were all new teritorry for the band. Maybe OOTS - the band never emulated the Beatles so openly before.

I feel AMAAW sounds like the pop U2 we heard on ATYCLB. It would fit perfectly on that album.

I'm hoping for MDH (Stateless, GBHF, Falling at your feet) sounds next. I think Mercy and even more 402 go that way. More ethereal, fresh yet still U2 if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Hey the guy in the Metallica shirt was singing to U2 in the Sydney ZooTV show....it could work....no thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom