How will Edge replace his Les Paul?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
The Edge gave his cream Les Paul to charity. Does this mean more of a prominent role to his Goldtop that he used mostly on Popmart? How will this go down?

theres a discussion going on in Pleba

Bono also is giving away his famous green Gretsch

phillyfan26 said:
Sorry, I don't tread the waters in there too often.

That's probably wise. :wink:

AtomicBono said:
can't he just buy another one?? :scratch:

I have to admit that was my first thought too. :uhoh:

Well I've always believed the more vintage guitars to be difficult to get. Maybe I'm just a guitar rookie, only having one of my own, but I didn't think it would be easy for him to find another one.

phillyfan26 said:
Well I've always believed the more vintage guitars to be difficult to get. Maybe I'm just a guitar rookie, only having one of my own, but I didn't think it would be easy for him to find another one.

They are difficult to replace, but Dallas will probably find a good one. Even if he auditions 10 '75 Les Pauls that look the same, they may not sound as good as his current one.

Ebay. There are several 1975 Les Pauls listed.

Still, guitars are like pianos, no two feel or sound the same, and this one has a lot of years and songs played on it. You can replace the instrument but not the memories and the sentiment.

I'm blown away, to be honest. Remember during the Lola Cashman trial when Bono made the point that the band wouldn't have given her stuff because "it would be like the Edge giving away one of his guitars."

silvrlvr said:

I'm blown away, to be honest. Remember during the Lola Cashman trial when Bono made the point that the band wouldn't have given her stuff because "it would be like the Edge giving away one of his guitars."

That's not the same at all.

Or do you mean that in a way that it shows just how much Music Rising and this auction is meaning to him?

ntalwar said:

They are difficult to replace, but Dallas will probably find a good one. Even if he auditions 10 '75 Les Pauls that look the same, they may not sound as good as his current one.

It seems like Dallas works for the band pretty much full-time right now, especially since Edge has bought him an apartment in Dublin. Since the band isn't touring or in the studio right now, Dallas is probably spending a lot of time looking for guitars/basses for Edge and Adam. Edge has more than one guitar in the auction, so Dallas has a lot of searching to do!

It must be hard on Edge to be parting with a few of his best guitars. It's a really noble thing he's doing :up:

Vincent Vega said:

That's not the same at all.

Or do you mean that in a way that it shows just how much Music Rising and this auction is meaning to him?

That's what I mean, exactly, Bono's implication being that Edge wouldn't give away one of his guitars. Now we see he would, but only for a cause that is close to his heart.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well it's much easier to replace any guitar than it is to start your life all over after a hurricane like Katrina-and that's the point :)

I completely understand that. I agree wholeheartedly with his decision and admire him greatly for it. I'm just wondering from the band standpoint how the songs he played them with would be effected if he doesn't get the same guitar.

Well he said in the article that it is his New Year's Day guitar so I guess he can't play NYD until Dallas finds a suitable replacement. He didn't mention any other songs specifically but that guitar has been used extensively in studio and on tour. He said he thought it appropriate to give something that he would miss.

Larry is donating the tom-tom, I wonder if it is the one Bono bashes the hell out of on LAPOE. Maybe Larry found a way to unload the drum Bono destroyed. :D LOL!

Dana

This is what the "experimental" seekers have been dying to hear. Now Edge will go the way of every band that has ever wanted to be "experimental:"

Sitar.

:wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:

:uhoh: Corianderstem and Gibson Girl are not going to be happy :|

I'd probably throw all of my U2 albums onto a bonfire if Edge ever used a sitar.

phillyfan26 said:

I'm just wondering from the band standpoint how the songs he played them with would be effected if he doesn't get the same guitar.

I'm sure he'll manage. I've seen other guitarists who are known for a particular guitar on certain songs change guitars (sometimes to different brands) and the songs still sound fine.

Either that or this is a sign that U2 is calling it quits. :wink:

Edge doesn't need his guitars.

I hear he's taking up the pan flute, recorder, and mandolin.

rihannsu said:
Well he said in the article that it is his New Year's Day guitar so I guess he can't play NYD until Dallas finds a suitable replacement. He didn't mention any other songs specifically but that guitar has been used extensively in studio and on tour. He said he thought it appropriate to give something that he would miss.

Larry is donating the tom-tom, I wonder if it is the one Bono bashes the hell out of on LAPOE. Maybe Larry found a way to unload the drum Bono destroyed. :D LOL!

Dana

Might sell more, "the drum Bono nearly wrecked every night."

Edge can go back to using his black on black Stratocaster for "New Year's Day." :)

Edge should just go all October-era on us again and use the Gibson Explorer for half the songs every night.

Back
Top Bottom