How was U23D received at Cannes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, you expected this small-scale project by a band as indie and obscure as U2 to be covered in the media when there are movies by modern-day geniuses such as Leonardo DiCaprio to cover instead? :wink:

There have been several reviews posted by journalists who screened the movie at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Just do a google search for them.

Dana

I've read a few reviews, and they seemed positive to me.

I like what I heard about the theatrical release being longer than the 55-minute preview version.

Axver said:
Wait, you expected this small-scale project by a band as indie and obscure as U2 to be covered in the media when there are movies by modern-day geniuses such as Leonardo DiCaprio to cover instead? :wink:

I know is a joke, but DiCaprio is no longer the blond guy from Titanic.. he's a good, if not great actor, making GREAT movies, and in Cannes presenting a documentary about the world going to hell as it is...

as he said this week: "become an ecologist today... before it's too late"

he isn't making some cheesy love film, he's actually making a statement, almost the same Bono does

so stop the bitching :grumpy:

:wink:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=cannes2007&jump=review&reviewid=VE1117933685

The title says it all. Compact and exuberant, "U2 3D" may be no more than a pint-sized concert film with a lustrous surface, but the lensing is so vibrant and the music so buoyant, even non-fans may find their eyes popping and their heads bobbing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/05/18/bfizgnanie.xml

The Cannes festival did no favours to the 55-minute concert film U2 3D, screening it for the press at 8 am - rather early in the day to don a pair of 3D glasses and listen to stadium rock.

Bono and Co roar their way through a massive concert in Buenos Aires, and the sound and visual effects are impressive enough.

During Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bono's hand seems on the verge of grabbing you by the throat, while you fear the long neck of Adam Clayton's bass might take your eye out.

U2 aren't the world's most visually interesting band on stage, but this is worthwhile for their fans - and a lot more impressive to look at than a YouTube clip.

http://www.filmstew.com/showArticle.aspx?ContentID=15942

It seems appropriate that the first non-IMAX live action 3D film comes courtesy of U2’s Vertigo Tour. Because the 53-minute end result offers up some truly dizzying visuals.

onozomg.gif

Not a review, well kind of - but interesting none the less: :wink:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=Cannes2007&jump=story&id=1061&articleid=VR1117965401&cs=1

U2 keeps sales in perspective
Pic will only be shown in 3-D format
By ANNE THOMPSON
Posted: Sun., May 20, 2007, 9:25am PT

CANNES -- The Palais screening of "U2 3D" could prove a watershed moment for 3-D cinema. And it would seem to be an obvious slam-dunk for a "U2 3D" North American theatrical sale by CAA.
Not so fast. Only theatrical rights are available to the $15 million film, which will eventually clock in at 80 to 90 minutes and will be released in both digital 3-D and Imax 3-D formats.

Bono and U2 control the ancillary rights with Universal Music, and are committed to keeping the film's 3-D format. They will not sell those rights until digital television can meet the same 3-D standard as cinema.

"Ancillary rights will only be available at the time everyone agrees that the home-viewing experience is at the exacting level that the band expects," said 3ality CEO Sandy Climan. "We did not come to Cannes to sell theatrical rights."

The filmmakers will close a distribution deal when they return to Hollywood, Climan said.

So why bring the film to Cannes? It was Bono's idea to perform.

Climan and Real D CEO Michael Lewis are meeting with international exhibitors and distributors here to promote the 3-D medium. Real D has a long-term investment in pushing its format with exhibitors all over the world, many of whom have no 3-D installations at all. (Real D installed a special giant silver screen at the Lumiere.)

"We came to Cannes at the invitation of the festival to demonstrate the artistry of this new technology," Climan said. "It's the best showcase in the world. We came here to communicate a new medium."

"Content is a great driver for licensing and getting our technology installed," said Lewis. "3-D has grown in fits and starts; the technology was not good enough on the capture side or delivery side. Now it's bullet proof and perfect every time. Creative people can feel comfortable with playing with it."

Real D cinemas are on the rise in the Lewis expects the current 705 screens to expand to 1,000 by November's release of "Beowulf," and 2,000 by the end of 2008.

Edited to say: all those who follow U2 can thank them for paving the way for the next Big Idea.

Last edited:
Someone from the Toronto Star who reviewed the film mentioned that "The set list includes “It’s A Beautiful Day,” “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” “Bullet The Blue Sky,” “The Fly,” “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own,” “Miss Sarajevo,” and the anthemic show closer “With You or Without You ” "

..."It's a Beautiful Day"???? "With You or Without You" ??? :|

So where is all the Rattle and Hum sized backlash the band was supposed to get for this movie ?

This is a different animal. R&H was supposed to be low-budget cinema verite and turned into a messy Hollywood production. U2 3D is cutting edge technology (as oposed to Edge cutting :) and I am assuming it's purely a concert film, since none of the reviews mention any behind the scenes footage.

I hope I can see this somewhere.

I read something interested about how they have to edit the 3D stuff together. Basically, they have to do dissolves from one shot to the next so that your eyes can adjust. Otherwise it would make your head explode.

I don't expect the R&H factor. This will seem pretty limited compared to that movie which was jammed down the market's throat at a time when everyone was a under a little U2-exhaustion anyway. It will only be shown at a handful of theaters and those going to see it will most likely be solid fans anyway.

I'd travel to see it.

I posted this in the news section but I'll say it again.... THIS IS GONNA NOCK YOUR SOCKS OUT!!!

I saw meet the Robinson's 3-D this weekend and that was awesome.... I can only imagine this concert film.

U2girl said:
So where is all the Rattle and Hum sized backlash the band was supposed to get for this movie ?

it probably drowned in your attempt at stirring up things here.

U2Man said:

it probably drowned in your attempt at stirring up things here.

Pot, meet kettle.

Seriously, U2Man, drop it. You're on thin ice.

Let's continue with the topic this thread is intended for, or else it will be closed.

The Rattle and Hum backlash came because they were a young band that were starting to seem pretentious and it seemed like they were trying to elevate themselves to the likes of the rock legends that they were trying to pay homage to back in 87.

20 years later they are rock legends and all this movie is is a fun concert filmed in 3D and nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom