How was 2001 for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just like any given year, I'm outnumbered against all the rest. But I just try my hardest to not be outplayed.

------------------
Change is the only constant

For me, another year under my belt. Another year in mindless school, another year of mindless tv, another year of mindless violence, another year of mindless orders...
But on the other hand, another year of U2, so I guess it all evens out. It'll get better... once I'm old enough to drive...

Originally posted by sharky:
definitely mixed. its had its good and its bad.

there is definitely Sept. 11 which has had a deep effect on me but there also was U2 at Madison Square Garden reminding alot of us New Yorkers what it was like to live life and have fun.

..and on a good pt. yes YOU got to meet ME..

DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

It is hard for me to say if it has been a good year or a bad year.

It has been a year of death, a year of funerals, a year of cancer.

I lost a friend to a car accident. I lost one to a lung disease. Another, I lost to a heart attack. That one hurt a lot. He was on his way to see me. To top things off, my mother was diagnosed with bone and breast cancer. It has certainly been a long year.

Highlight - Everything about my little princess. Her first steps, her first words. Her happiness is my happiness. My wife has been incredible this year too. She was the harbour in the tempest.

Yep, I guess I can't complain (knock on wood)...probably the best year I've had in the past 4 years...
- One class shy of getting my M.A.
-Spent half the year in London, U.K., the other half in Canada
- Finally ended it FOR GOOD with someone I couldn't get out of my life for the past 3 and a half years...
- Made some new, great friends (and one new guy in particular
smile.gif
)
- Still have my health
- My friends and family are happy
- And I saw U2 9 times!!!

Bring on 2002!!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 12-16-2001).]

Some very trying lows, almost cause me to feel defeated..

The happiest moment came this year when I married the man of my dreams. I spend all my off time with him and the kids, and everyday we have lunch together.

I pray that all my friends and family have a very nice 2002. I myself want to find peace..

Well, it's been quite a year. I too worked very hard to get my degree, and was able to look out and see many of my friends sharing my joy at graduation. The next day, however, I packed up my life and moved away from all of my friends, my boyfriend, my theater, and the life I had created in Memphis. It was coming home, but I still felt like I was starting over. Over the next few months, I got a great job(or two, now three), bought a house, and created a life for myself here in California. My relationship soon after ended, which was the most painful experience of my life. I got though it though with personal strength and support from one of the best friends a girl could ask for. At the close of 2001, I might be more confused than ever about what I want out of love and life, but I'm happy. I am secure in who I am, and am surrounded by inexplicable amounts of love each day. I am truly blessed.

Thank you Angela Harlem.

I have never been so comforted by an album such as ATYCLB. I am sure that U2's album helped a lot of people, but I do not think I could properly express just how much this album brought me joy and comfort in times of despair. It is as if after all of these years of being a U2 fan, U2 decided to be a fan of me. I turn the stereo on and they show up in the room. The presence of U2. It is certainly more than just music.

I forgot to say that I finally got to see U2 this year. 16 years a fan and my first concert happened this past April. Nothing can take that night away from me.

Sorry for being all sentimental here. Those that know me here know that I like to kid around and joke a lot. Time to get silly again.
smile.gif

2001 was a good year for me. It was a year of firsts. Here they are in no particular order...

first airplane ride
first time in phoenix
first U2 concert
biggrin.gif

first serious relationship
first time batting over .300
smile.gif

first really bad break-up
first time getting drunk
first semester at college
first job

A real rollercoaster... It's gone soooo fast.

* Started the year in Bali. Very nice, lossa fun. Was there for New Years, bunji jumped.
* Lost job in March, not so difficult because alot of people went at the same time as me. A shame though, cos it was the perfect job.
* Got another one, better pay, better position, not as good industry, not as good company (what do you do?)
* Had a rough couple of weeks around Easter, one friend committed suicide, another was in an accident, burnt 40% of his body, I was the only person there...
* Had loads of fun with friends this year, I think all my friendships got stronger this year.
* Have spent most of this year single, which has been actually fine, but, although it can't really be planned, that changing in 2002 would be good. And she knows who she is and she gets back from o/seas in March...
* U2's Tour of Australia was a highlight.

All in all 7/10.

2k1 was good for me. Very good. 2k2 will be good, also. I will be starting something brand new. Dec. 31 marks my last day as an employee at my company. In 2k2, I start my new contract career, so if anyone needs help files or interactive CD work done...

What can I say... It was the GREATEST year in my life so far. The summer was incredible. I saw my heroes the first time. I was on 3 u2 shows, and at the last one I sang with Bono my all time favourite, the Fly. Woah man! I was in a lot of big European countries, Berlin, London, Paris...
I also had great time at work and at school, hard work, but they payed a lot :)
I'm finally in the Hungarian U2 tribute band, and we have also great gigs. I Have a lot of new friend, without whom I woild be really bored and sad at hard days. Soo, I can't remember any tragic moment of this year, wich happened to me. Achh I was robbed in Paris, they stole my U2 photos, CDs... That was a bad thing, really baaad!

Of course there were a lot of tragedy all around the world... I only hope, there will be PEACE ON EARTH sometime, and everybody can feel perfectly gooood, as mey! PEES

------------------
"I'm the BIGGEST U2 fan in the WORLD!" - LeMon
"I know..." - Bono

http://limelight.pcdome.hu

Well, I can probably say that 2001 has been the best year of my life so far. The year kicked off with a new tour, new friends and new dreams. Saw U2 in Vancouver for the first time in 9 yrs and I tell you, it was an unforgettable experience. I visited family in Edmonchuk, completed 5 university classes while working fulltime and managed to get A's. Spent two weeks in England and Ireland and saw U2 twice, incl. Slane. Had the utmost privelage of hearing 'A Sort Of Homecoming' played live for the first time in over 10 yrs. while sharing it with the such a special person who has stolen my heart. I found myself on a plane to Vegas in the fall for a reunion with Slane buddies and new Interference pals. Got in the heart and had an incredible moment with Bono, *Sigh*
But all the U2 content aside (as important as it is to me) this year has been about new beginnings and letting go of the past. Even through the tragedy of our world's political situation I see hope for myself and for others and good things are ahead, we just have to believe.
I can't wait to make 2002 even more unforgettable.
wink.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Pretty average year until November when I got to see my band in the gorgeous setting of the Nevada desert!!!
biggrin.gif

Good & bad stuff:
* Boredom with university
* Having jobs that I like but being overworked and underpaid
* Making new friends
* Discovering this place

I'm a Gemini and this year is supposed to be the end of a chapter in my life. So I say BRING ON 2002!!

I can go back as far as 1995 and tell you what every year of my life has been like, more or less, since then. 1995 was tough, but maybe not incredibly tough. I was only 15-16 and everything seems magnified when you're that age. 1996 and 1997 were great, for the most part. 1998 and 1999 were partly dreadful and partly just hard. They had good parts too but they are black years in my memory. 2000 was good--just good. 2001 has certainly had its good points, but on the whole I would say that it was quite a difficult year and worse than 2000 for me.

I hope next year goes better for everyone--even those who had great years.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Best things about 2001:
1. Witnessing the birth of my 2nd child (no comp there)
2. Growing even stronger in my faith.
3. Feeling young again (seeing U2 twice)

Worst things:
1. Sept. 11 -- the horror & shock I felt watching things unfold that day.
2. Feeling vulnerable because of 9/11
3. Dealing with family illnesses.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had a rollercoaster year. But, I guess that's the way life goes. 2001 was a very memorable year for me. In the beginning of it, I was more or less feeling like shit. Then, at the end of January, I was able to get tickets for 3 U2 concerts in the NY/NJ area. The only thing was that the concerts were in June. I had to wait 5 months to see them. I also made the mistake of spotting my friend money for the tickets and he didn't wind up paying me back until 10 months later. During those months leading up to the shows, I was able to make a lot of new friends which was great. One of those friends wound up being my girlfriend. I met her in May and we dated for 4 months. The Summer of 2001 was easily one of the best of my life. My girlfriend and I were doing pretty well and she had a 3 year old daughter whom I grew to really adore. I saw U2 at MSG once on 6/19 and then at the NJ Meadowlands twice. The 6/22 show was the last show of the first leg of the tour. Every show was awesome! 20,000 people on their feet every night! Then I saw Depeche Mode on 6/27 at MSG. They were great, but it was tough to follow U2. Then in July, I went to Ozzfest. That was cool. I only saw 2 bands though. Marilyn Manson and Black Sabbath. They were awesome though. Then the Summer winded down. Then 9/11 happened and that really sucked. Then, 2 weeks later, my girlfriend gave me the old "I need space" deal. I didn't really get dumped, but we were no longer gonna be together. Trouble was, I reallly started to have strong feelings for her. That really fuckin' sucked! I've spent the last couple of months trying to get her back, but it just ain't happening. I'm movin' on I guess. It sucks because she manages one the stores in my company so I hear about her often. It also sucks because I really liked her daughter. Well, I also was lucky enough to see U2 again 2 more times. Once at MSG and once in NJ. Man, if it wasn't for U2, life would really suck. Then my old '87 Honda Accord was giving me trouble, so I had to buy my first new car. A Silver 2002 Honda Civic Coupe. Then I decided to go back to school, so I can get a fuckin life. I've also been promised a promotion from my job. 2001 was a pretty wacky year. 2002 shouldn't be boring either. I'm sorry that I rambled on. I guess I feel comfortable doing that here. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I also got the chance to meet the Sicilian Goddess. She has been a great long distance friend! Whenever I was feeling like shit or had a question, she was always there to help me out. Thanks Christine! Hello to you too mad1! Haha!
Finally, I wish all my U2 friends a happy and healthy holiday season. Peace to you all! Maybe 2002 will give us another album from the boys. U2 forever, baby!

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Hey!

Well, 2001 has been good and bad for me. The year started with a great party for my birthday (8th January) and, after that, the rest of the year was going well right till of course 11th September. These are my highlights of the year:

March 2001 - joined this forum, yay! got tickets for Slane, Manchester and London! Double YAY!

July/August 2001 - flew to Rome for 8 nights and 2 nights in Florence. Rome was great but Florence was amazing! I loved that city!

August 2001 - got to see U2 live in Manchester (11th August), London (18th August) and finally Slane 1 (25th August). A trio of fantastic shows! Slane was the real highlight for me as I took 2 of my friends to the show to see U2 live for the first time! Also got to meet some great U2 fans in Dublin thanks to an internet group I joined earlier this year. Thats where I met Desert Rose, Angel, Bono_man and many others for the first time so it was just a FAB time! thank you very much!

November 2001 - my sister turned 21 so had an almighty celebration up in Scotland!
biggrin.gif

The lows for me, has thankfully been few but still has a profound effect on me: the Sept 11th attacks and George Harrison's death.

So heres hoping for a better 2002!

dougal

2001 has been both good and bad for me.The bad being my mother ened up in the hospital 3 times, and me once this summer. The Sept 11th
tragedy affected me. I have a cousin who works right across the street from the World Trade Center. His building is gone,but he made it out alright. Plus the plane that went down in PA. is only 50 miles from where I live.

The good was I got to meet my penpal of six years who I met through Prop. We got to go together to the April Phoenix concert and Las Vegas also. My first time out west.
I have many blessings to be thankful for, so I guess that out weights the bad!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom