How to spot fake tickets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How Can I Spot A Fake Ticket?
For starters, there's no reason you should ever have to, as buying tickets from scalpers or in the lot is frowned upon strongly, but lectures aside, your best bet is to take it to the ticket-takers and ask them if its legit. For GDTS tix, you can make a small tear at the edge of the ticket, and if it's good it will have what appears to be red paper in the center of the ticket (between the front and back). You can also do the old comparison to others GDTS tix. For TixMaster (and assumedly Bass) tix, you can give 'em the cigarette burn test, which is basically ya touch the lit end of a cig to the ticket, and a) it doesn't burn all the way through b) leaves a purplish mark on the tix. This, however, is not a failsafe method either, as all it confirms is that the tix were printed on thermal paper, and are most likely TicketMaster stock. The problem being, that TM stock occaisonally has a funny way o dissapearin', so fake tix could be printed on legit paper, and ya won't know 'til ya get to the door. The best way to know is to buy them yourself :), and the next best is to take 'em to the door and have a venue- person take a look.

I got this from a web site, however, ripping it and burning it is not something I'd wanna do to test my tics. Sounds to me that if they are legit you end up destroying them in the testing process. I guess one thing is true is to know who you're getting them from. If I were to get tics off someone I didn't know, I'd first want to know where they got them and for them to have some proof to back it up, such as TM confirmation or Brokers receipt...

Back in May, some people were caught with fake tickets at one of the Chicago shows. Apparently, the way security figured it out was by spraying water onto the tickets. If the tickets are real, the water will just sort of bead. If they're fake, the tickets will bubble up and the ink will run. I don't know if this is actually true, but this sort of test certainly seems like a better idea than burning the tickets with a cigarette.

------------------
"I buy socks."
-Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink.

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"
-Bill Flanagan, at an after-concert soiree with the band and Co.

"We're thinking of playing a show in Chicago every Monday night. What do you think? We could get a place here. Edge could open up a corner grocery. Ok, a hardware store. Larry could open a securities business. Adam could be Larry's body guard."
-Bono, Chicago: 10-16-01

Back
Top Bottom