How to handle Friday? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:51 AM
How to handle Friday?

Vertigo will come out Friday, and this place is going to go nuts. Some people will record off web-streams (if stations actually don't black it out), some will record to cassette of minidisc off the radio. Most of us will come here and find everyone's heard it but us. How can we make it so it's easy to share copies of the MP3? Or will it just be a free for all in here? It would be nice if one person could record and post it for a day. Or will it hit Limewire and Kazza so fast I'm over thinking this?

REM's new album was leaked over the weekend. Some people have it, some people don't. I was on a REM board, and there is very little cooperation in getting the leak out to less tech savy fans. I don't want that to happen here. We're better than that.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:51 AM
if someone had an exclusive premier of the song, then they'd probably black out the web broadcast when the song played... seeing as all radio stations are getting the track friday, i doubt anyone will black out the webcast of the song.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Headache, I know you're in the NYC area, K-rock is saying they'll play it later this week. I'll have to suffer through an hour of their crap, but I will get it.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

i try to listen to k-rock as little as possiable... but i'll have i imagine i'll have to have it on friday. i guess having to set through system of a down and good charlotte in order to get to vertigo ain't that bad...

but then again k-rock won't be able to play it till at least 10ish... they've got Stern on in the morning.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
War Child

Not to be a party pooper, but don't forget sharing an "offical" version of the song is illegal. Not that anyone cares much, but I wouldn't broadcast it so loudly. It's not that hard for u2 management or a label intern to make Joel's life a little less rosey.

Besides, it'll be all over the file sharing programs in a matter of minutes after it's played.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
The Fly

I hope U2 makes it easy for us and puts it out on iTunes. Of course, then it becomes an ethical dilemma for a lot of people...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by tkramer
Not to be a party pooper, but don't forget sharing an "offical" version of the song is illegal. Not that anyone cares much, but I wouldn't broadcast it so loudly. It's not that hard for u2 management or a label intern to make Joel's life a little less rosey.

Besides, it'll be all over the file sharing programs in a matter of minutes after it's played.
You're right. But the clip threads here turned into a cluster fuck of people commenting or trying to track them down. I just wanted to try and avoid that.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

We (the mod team) will make sure there is a concise way of dealin with what Friday will bring. We'll make sure to have a Share the Vertigo (mp3) thread, and a Discuss your Reaction to Vertigo thread as well.

Sound good?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
We (the mod team) will make sure there is a concise way of dealin with what Friday will bring. We'll make sure to have a Share the Vertigo (mp3) thread, and a Discuss your Reaction to Vertigo thread as well.

Sound good?
Sweet. Thanks HelloAngel. This place is going to be crazy this weekend.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #10
Gunslinger

Local Time: 06:51 AM
I will really be shocked if U2 doesn't put this song on their website in full for a limited time (until the single arrives in stores). If a band like Coldplay can put an ENTIRE album on their site for a listen, then you would think U2 (a band with $17 mil. in advertising for this album alone - more than what most band can make in a career) wouldn't care to worry about making this easily available to us to hear.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 01:51 PM
What REM site has the leak?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

murmurs.com
Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Headache, I know you're in the NYC area, K-rock is saying they'll play it later this week. I'll have to suffer through an hour of their crap, but I will get it.
K-rock will probably air it first in New York. It would be the station that I will have on for the majority of the day. However, since I don't get it in good at work, I am praying someone puts a copy up on the bored. Four days to go....
Old 09-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

K-Rock is promoting it on their website: www.krockradio.com
Old 09-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by tkramer

We care, believe me, and we'll do the right thing legally when a problem arises. In the meantime though, I/we will do what we can to keep this place orderly and tidy so that everyone is happy on Friday.