How to dismantle an atomic bomb RANKINGS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ozeeko said:

Haha! I feel the same way! The first time I heard it I thought it was a fucking joke! And Bono's delivery in the chorus sounds like a first-take! Remember how U2 was sometimes forced to record things quickly cuz the album was about to be mastered? (40 from War, Peace On Earth from All That, Last Night On Earth from Pop). Yahweh sounds like the album was within 4 minutes of being completed, and Bono was just shouting at the song as it was being whisked away, like "hey WAIIIIT, WAIIIT A MINUTE" (YahWAIIIIIIT a minute) I wouldn't be suprised if Yahweh was the "true" U2 drunk song. I could picture Bono looking at the first pressed copy of the album and going "what the fuck???!!!" "What the fuck is this song?" YAH-WAIIIIIIIIIT A fucking minute! When did this happen? Did I actually sing that?" Flash forward to people eating it up and fall for it, while Bono breathes a HUGE sigh of relief. "Hehe, I guess we're in the clear boys! Maybe we should take this on the road, just to see what kind of reaction it gets!"

:lol:

Screwtape2 said:
Make it three Yahweh haters. :wink:

And four.

Here are my rankings:

1. Love And Peace Or Else
2. Fast Cars
3. Original Of The Species
4. Crumbs From Your Table
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Vertigo
7. Miracle Drug
8. One Step Closer
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. All Because Of You
11. Yahweh
12. A Man And A Woman

1.City of blinding lights
2.Love and peace
3.Vertigo
4.Sometimes you can't make it..
5.Miracle drug
6.Original of the species
7.Yaweh
8.Crumbs from your table
9.All because of you
10.One step closer
11.A man and women

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Yahweh
3. Vertigo
5. Original of the Species
6. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
7. Miracle Drug
8. One Step Closer
9. Love and Peace Or Else
10. All Because of You
11. A Man and a Woman

I think the huge variety in the lists in this thread say a lot about how many different routes you can take to being a U2 fan. For instance, I still can't comprehend being a hardcore U2 fan and hating Yahweh. I can think of very few songs that sound so much like....U2. Yahweh to me is straight-up retro U2. To think that the lyrics or (especially) the music could POSSIBLY sound out of place for U2 is honestly incomprehensible to me because I really can't think of a song that sounds MORE like them. Please someone else back me up here (I know you will Aygo :) ). So I could understand not liking Yahweh because its a "retread" or its "U2 by the numbers", but the other criticisms are so strange. Its like I've been listening to a different band while listening to every single one of the same songs over the years. Since when was U2 NOT the band that writes over-the-top euphoric hooks and uplifting anthems? Writing monster anthems like Pride and Gloria and Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights is what U2 is known for. How is Yahweh so out of place with this?

And the while Love and Peace is certainly a great live song, those lyrics are infinitely more embarrasing than even "His love is like a drop in the ocean".

bram said:

I think the huge variety in the lists in this thread say a lot about how many different routes you can take to being a U2 fan. For instance, I still can't comprehend being a hardcore U2 fan and hating Yahweh. I can think of very few songs that sound so much like....U2. Yahweh to me is straight-up retro U2. To think that the lyrics or (especially) the music could POSSIBLY sound out of place for U2 is honestly incomprehensible to me because I really can't think of a song that sounds MORE like them. Please someone else back me up here (I know you will Aygo :) ). So I could understand not liking Yahweh because its a "retread" or its "U2 by the numbers", but the other criticisms are so strange. Its like I've been listening to a different band while listening to every single one of the same songs over the years. Since when was U2 NOT the band that writes over-the-top euphoric hooks and uplifting anthems? Writing monster anthems like Pride and Gloria and Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights is what U2 is known for. How is Yahweh so out of place with this?

And the while Love and Peace is certainly a great live song, those lyrics are infinitely more embarrasing than even "His love is like a drop in the ocean".

There's one thing that is several tastes and likes/dislikes that vary with the phase you became a fan or the roads you took as a fan and experimenting music. Another thing is not to recognize something or act like straightlooking only because we don't like the song. Hey, I dislike SDABTO but, I think it has one of Adam's best works and experimental elements too and I think the song fits on the album where it is. This is what I call sensible.

The song could never be out of place because all the album is reminiscent of something. Yahweh reminds of the October era because of its essence and perhaps the late 80's because of the atmospheric feeling in the instrumental.
The lyrics may not be as good as Mofo or as Streets but they're honest and straight with the message, that's what it was pretended.
I think the band is happy with the song. If not, why would they included it in the end of the album and tell by the album came out that's one of the best songs taken from it?

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Original Of The Species
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It
5. Vertigo
6. One Step Closer
7. Miracle Drug
8. All Because Of You
9. Yahweh
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. A Man And A Woman

Back