How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think it's a very consistent album...i like the flow of the songs. right now i'm listening to LAPOE. i didn't appreciate this song much until i saw them perform this live, as an opener. after that i appreciate this song much more.

now COBL is starting to play. i liked this song as an opener too.

i really liked this album when it first came out...then i over-listened to it and got sick of it...didn't listen to it for a while...then now i'm starting to listen to it again...it sounds good to me right now! :yes:

I think it's an excellent album! ATYCLB was my first U2 album and HutDab is like an advanced, rougher ATYCLB. They go well together.

The first time I listened to this album, it was about 3:30 A.M. and my two friends who were spending the night were fast asleep. We had been eating Puppy Chow, (non-alcoholic) margaritas, and nachos, and to this day, mind you, I can sometimes still taste those margaritas when I listen to HutDab.

Vertigo: Obligatory catchy first single. And there's nothing wrong with that. Every album has one. I actually never get tired of this song. 5/5

Miracle Drug: Beautiful, but gives an impression of being a space-filler. 4/5

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own: Nothing wrong with this song; made me cry the first time I heard it. I am getting a little tired of it, but only because it's been on the radio alot. 5/5

Love and Peace or Else: The intro to this song was the first thing I heard when I bought HutDab (I watched part of the DVD before I listened to the album itself). Great song, but the whole "Where is the love?" thing makes me think of the Black Eyed Peas. 3/5

City of Blinding Lights: This is one of those songs that I immediately fall in love with the first time I hear it, but then it turns out to not be so great after all. Althouh it's one of the best songs on the album, I get tired of it quickly. 5/5

All Because of You: The fact that this is one of U2's most Christian/spiritual songs didn't strike me for quite some time, and then I suddenly got it. At first I thought it was just a throwaway rock song, but yet I knew that there must be something more to it. There's actually some depth in there. If you still don't get it, listen again. Plus, I like the way Bono growls like a wildcat in the middle of the song. RRAOW! 5/5 (formerly 3/5)

A Man and a Woman: Adam said this song is "For the ladies." Is most of the bashing coming from male U2 fans? (It's kinda hard to tell.) This song is something totally new for U2 and I like it alot. They have as much right to make a sexy song as the next band. And sexy it is! 5/5

Crumbs From Your Table: The weakest song on the album, in my opinion. The "Whoa-oh-oh-oh" at the end makes me want to sing, "Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting/ Those cats were fast as lightning..." :wink: 3/5

One Step Closer: I know alot of people don't like this song. I used to be like that. I thought it was lame. Boy, was I wrong! This is a most beautiful song. The imagery in the lyrics is fantastic. It's nice and quiet. Try listening to it on a rainy day. 5/5

Original Of the Species: This one took a while to grow on me. I couldn't understand the hype at first, but now I think it's a downright sturdy tune. I like the violins. 5/5

Yahweh: This song is undeservedly bashed, but that's mostly because the atheists and spiritually declined among us find that Bono's praise to God leaves a bitter taste in their unbelieving little mouths. 5/5

Fast Cars: I totally think this song is awesome. But it kinda kills the mood set by "Yahweh" and the rest of the album and would be better in a different context. I guess it's like the drunk uncle that people always talk about who crashes the party. He's rowdy and boistrous, but he's alot of fun and you gotta love him. 5/5

Vertigo, 4.5 i really love this song
Miracle Drug, 4 very solid
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, 4.5
Love And Peace Or Else, 4.5 great tune
City Of Blinding Lights, 3.5 WAY WAY WAY overrated
All Because Of You, 2.5 not that good at all
A Man And A Woman, 2.5 kind of a filler
Crumbs From Your Table, 3 pretty good
One Step Closer, 2.5
Original Of The Species, 4
Yahweh, 4
Fast Cars, 2

i hate to be somewhat of a downer..but here are MY thoughts...
overall...i like this album a lot...vertigo, love and peace, oots, sometimes, miracle drug, and yahweh are all good tracks...but lets be honest with ourselves...this is no classic...an awesome album, but hardly a classic...and i cannot believe everyone's fascination with COBL...its good, but not too special...to each his own

Ive always been some what of a basher of this album, but today on the way home from a family reunion :barf: i gave it another whirl. I actually liked it a lot better than i remember, and I can DEFINITELY appreciate Love and Peace or Else. My thoughts on SYCMIOYO kind of eased up some, but i still cant stand ABOY. But overall it is a good, solid album, that just crawled out of the basement spot in my U2 album rankings. Not shabby for 4 guys over the hill :up:

joshua87..i agree...i cant bring myself to listen to aboy...but love and peace.....:drool:
i used to say sycmioyo was the best on the album...it still may be...im not sure yet...i think im going to give it more time to see if it ranks up there with U2's classic songs

rock888nwo said:
joshua87..i agree...i cant bring myself to listen to aboy...but love and peace.....:drool:
i used to say sycmioyo was the best on the album...it still may be...im not sure yet...i think im going to give it more time to see if it ranks up there with U2's classic songs

In my opinion, i doubt it, and i hope not. It is Kite part II, and a sub-par sequel at that. If Kite isnt a classic, which it probably will never be considered as by the general music audience, neither should SYCMIOYO.

..i would rate kite and sometimes about the same right now...they are both very, very good songs...although i dont consider kite a classic

Why does everyone hate All Because of You?? :scratch: It's a nice straight-forward rock song and I like the lyrics, though I like the alternate version's lyrics better. In fact, I like the alternate version more, period. But the album version is good too, and it has a simple but totally rawkin' solo :rockon:

atomic...you must admit bono's vocals are pretty horrid in aboy...also, the song is almost harsh to the ears (id be hard pressed to find a dozen songs out of u2's entire catalogue to say that about, so im not throwing that term around)...basically, i just dont think that it is a very good song, ESPECIALLY the album version...i think the brooklyn bridge version is alright though

AtomicBono said:
Why does everyone hate All Because of You?? :scratch: It's a nice straight-forward rock song and I like the lyrics, though I like the alternate version's lyrics better. In fact, I like the alternate version more, period. But the album version is good too, and it has a simple but totally rawkin' solo :rockon:

Yeah.. I was just thinking the other day about this song. I think it would have really worked if they took the rocking guitar solo and killer drums of the album version and combined it with the lyrics from the alt version! I love these lines...

I'm alive, I'm being born
I just arrived, I'm at the door
Of the place I started out from
I want back inside

BUT I also love these...

Next to it
I was so close to it
I had the universe decoded
Then the atom split

AND "All because of you, I'm down" sounds so much better than "I am".

Zootlesque said:

Yeah.. I was just thinking the other day about this song. I think it would have really worked if they took the rocking guitar solo and killer drums of the album version and combined it with the lyrics from the alt version! I love these lines...

I want back inside

Yeah those lyrics are in both versions :wink: the solo is the same in both versions too thought it sounds better in the album version I think.

I don't really like the double vocal thing, but other than that there's nothing wrong with Bono's voice as far as I can tell :shrug:

I like the sound of my own voice, I didn't give anyone else a choice.

love that line, but I love from the alt version: "It's not the noise, it's the deafening silence/Drowns god out"

The Brooklyn Bridge version is :drool: for some reason though the song never sounded as good live since, maybe I'm just crazy

Zootlesque said:

I want back inside

I know that part is in both versions.

This is what I was referring to...

Zootlesque said:

BUT I also love these...

Next to it
I was so close to it
I had the universe decoded
Then the atom split

AND "All because of you, I'm down" sounds so much better than "I am".

Zootlesque said:

I know that part is in both versions.

This is what I was referring to...

sorry, I misunderstood you. I wasn't trying to make you look dumb, but now I'm the fool :huh:

I love that verse :drool: and I agree, I like "I'm down" more than "I am" though both are sort of open-ended. Bono should be more specific, like, "All because of you I'm the coolest muthafucka on the planet"

AtomicBono said:

sorry, I misunderstood you. I wasn't trying to make you look dumb, but now I'm the fool :huh:

no sweat! :hug:

AtomicBono said:

I love that verse :drool: and I agree, I like "I'm down" more than "I am" though both are sort of open-ended. Bono should be more specific, like, "All because of you I'm the coolest muthafucka on the planet"

:lmao:

rock888nwo said:
atomic...you must admit bono's vocals are pretty horrid in aboy...

:shrug:...I dunno, I think he sounds fine, personally. Only thing I'd have to say about "All Because Of You" is that the opening guitar ring makes me jump each time, 'cause it's so loud. But I like that song (what's this about an alternate version now? :huh:...).

I listened to this CD again a few nights ago. Still like it, reminded yet again of how good the songs on there are. I don't rate by numbers, personally, but I like pretty much almost everything off of there. "Crumbs...", "Miracle Drug", and "Yahweh" are about the only ones I kinda have to be in a bit of a mood for to hear them...but I don't hate them or anything. The rest of the songs...:up:. They all sound good to me :).

Angela

It's late at night and I haven't had time to read all the posts, but I'm glad this thread was well recieved. It's about time it got some appreciation.

I have no problem with All Because of You, personally I love it. I find it really enjoyable. People who can't bring themselves to listen to it have U2/Bono's past in their heads and they keep comparing it to the past. Let that go, and this a nice little album.

Ah my God everyone stop hating ABOY, it's amazing! How can you think his vocals are no good...? Madness. *shakes head* It's such a great rocking song!

COBL_04, I'm having trouble understanding your rating system. Have you rated tracks out of 5 or 10?

Sorry but I can't stop hating All Because of You. It was the only song that yesterday meant nothing to me.

On the other hand, City of Blinding Lights and Love and Peace or else are fantastic live. I hope they became a regular appearence next tours, both are great live acts.

when people asked for a striaght rocking album, we would have had ALOT more songs like ABOY but some decide to moan about that song? even though thats what you wanted to hear the band doing?

I think it is definitely a consistent album that I woul give 4/5 to. The 2 "complaints" I would have are that despite the consistency I don't think there is a track that I REALLY love although there are some very good songs. (I am talking about songs like Streets, WOWY, Bad, One etc). There is nothing on the album that I like as much as say "Fix You" from Coldplay. (he runs and hides!) but on the flipside of that X&Y is not a very good album overall.

Also certain songs sound quite familiar like I have heard them somewhere before. I'm talking about the intro to Miracle Drug, the keyboards at the start of COBL(and the chorus), the riff on All Because of You etc. I don't know if this is maybe just because I have listened to so much music over the years that I can't help noticing similarities between songs or because U2 are less original than before. This may be because it is a fairly commercial album and doesn't really have the variety that some other U2 albums have (many of which had better lyrics might I add!)

nickypiemcg said:
I think it is definitely a consistent album that I woul give 4/5 to. The 2 "complaints" I would have are that despite the consistency I don't think there is a track that I REALLY love although there are some very good songs. (I am talking about songs like Streets, WOWY, Bad, One etc). There is nothing on the album that I like as much as say "Fix You" from Coldplay. (he runs and hides!) but on the flipside of that X&Y is not a very good album overall.

Also certain songs sound quite familiar like I have heard them somewhere before. I'm talking about the intro to Miracle Drug, the keyboards at the start of COBL(and the chorus), the riff on All Because of You etc. I don't know if this is maybe just because I have listened to so much music over the years that I can't help noticing similarities between songs or because U2 are less original than before. This may be because it is a fairly commercial album and doesn't really have the variety that some other U2 albums have (many of which had better lyrics might I add!)
"U2 are less orginal than before" so when was the last time you hear a U2 song like A man and a woman (you may not like it) or Love and Peace?

also these are some of bono's most personal lyrics to date

now coldplay's lyrics are AWFUL and they have no originality what so ever

Back
Top Bottom