How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - a different view! A newbie's view! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by CPTLCTYGOOFBALL

They got more radio airplay with Pop than either of these past albums, So quit with the revisionism crap.

That only true in North America...
ATYCLB / HTDAAB got lots of airplay here in Europe, the Pop album succeded in the radio too, but not as today...

Old 05-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Interference is definitely the wrong place to go for a reasonable discussion on U2 albums

ask every day U2 fans, imo iyo ieo

Old 05-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #43
Babyface

Great thread, CKONE, and I'd like to add to your "Newbie" sentiment if I may.

BOMB is already standing the test of time. After so many multiple listenings the CD is worn thin, the songs (all of them) are still great, perhaps even getting better.

In my truthful opinion, BOMB is edging its way up between JOSHUA TREE and ACHTUNG BABY as time goes on. Just an awesome record, no matter what the "vocal minority" (as bonsai put it in the first page) may say. BOMB is one for the ages.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 07:08 PM
replace fooj with fuck. christ!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #45
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:08 PM
im gonna go listen to the FOOJIES!!!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by catlhere
Interference is definitely the wrong place to go for a reasonable discussion on U2 albums

ask every day U2 fans, imo iyo ieo
I agree. It's almost like discussing religion and which one is really the "one" or best.

My challenge is primarily - which one do I want to listen to at the moment.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 AM   #47
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy
replace fooj with fuck. christ!
lol - sorry it was cut and paste from a site with a swear filter.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 AM   #48
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteWolf
Great thread, CKONE, and I'd like to add to your "Newbie" sentiment if I may.

BOMB is already standing the test of time. After so many multiple listenings the CD is worn thin, the songs (all of them) are still great, perhaps even getting better.

In my truthful opinion, BOMB is edging its way up between JOSHUA TREE and ACHTUNG BABY as time goes on. Just an awesome record, no matter what the "vocal minority" (as bonsai put it in the first page) may say. BOMB is one for the ages.
I completely agree. It will stand the test of time and when all is said and done and U2 have finished (nooooooooooooo never) arguments will continue to rage for years and years as to which album is best.

I make myself laugh though sometimes as I may well listen to War or Boy every now and then and each time I do they are the best albums ever - then its pop then its zooropa etc etc.

JT will I think always be my favourite, Bomb is currently a very very close second.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 AM   #49
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

It's all right. Sorry I didn't pick up on extremely thinly-veiled sarcasm on the internet without any indication at all that you were kidding. Plus, considering a lot of the other stuff you've posted, I wouldn't have been very surprised if you were completely serious.

As for the rest of your post, I'll give you Dylan (for lyrical content, even though his music is based off of traditional folk), Zeppelin (even though a lot of their stuff is based off of traditional blues), and the VU (well, the VU just rule). And the point I was trying to make about the Beatles isn't that they never challenged their listeners, but rather that a large amount of their catalogue wasn't anything that could be considered challenging. I mean, what do you mean exactly when you reference their challenging music? Revolution 9?

I mean, of course tunes like I Am The Walrus and Helter Skelter are completely awesome and different, but even those songs are rooted in catchy melodies and are fairly immediate. Once again, not arguing that the Beatles never did anything challenging, but they aren't exactly the pinnacle of "different" music (even though they may be the pinnacle of pop music in general).

Personally, I tend to think of modern U2 as sort of a parallel to White Album-era Beatles, considering the whole "back to roots" ideas both eras represented. I mean, going from something like Magical Mystery Tour to something like the White Album was just about a big of a jump as from Pop to ATYCLB (actually, probably a bigger jump). But I'm getting off topic. I think. What were we talking about again?

Oh, yes. That's right. HTDAAB rules.
Ozeeko and XHendrix24,

quality discussion that you will never resolve.

the 'challenging' argument is another impossible to be right about. what is challenging?? to some it is the music - complexity, melody, technicality, new style, new ground or new sound - to others its the lyrics, the content, the subject, the format, the poetry - and to some its the performance, the passion, the emotion and of course the effect it has on each individual listener. for others it will be the combination of all of the above.

You cant compare challenging with the beatles as they were just toss. an original example of the dross we get from Take That, Backend Boys, Britney Spears etc. Their songs fed the audince of young girls at the time - not at all challinging imho. Once they were on their pedastool they could have released any old shit (and some would say they did) and their fans would have bought it!(I accept reluctantly that this criticism could be levelled at U2 though!)

The music of U2 (and every other band) is measured individually by the listener. Its quality is therefore impossible to discuss to conclusion but great fun to discuss none the less.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #50
New Yorker

im sorry but HTDAAB is a medicore pop adult contemporary
album!!

where have the days gone when u2 were good!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #51
The Fly

I miss Glenn Miller too, now, all music is crap !

Old 05-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #52
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
im sorry but HTDAAB is a medicore pop adult contemporary
album!!

where have the days gone when u2 were good!!!

What you mean with "medicore", maybe "medicare", Do you mean HTDAAB is a healing album ?

HTDAAB , the cure for the metal air head !!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by CKONE

Ozeeko and XHendrix24,

quality discussion that you will never resolve.

the 'challenging' argument is another impossible to be right about. what is challenging?? to some it is the music - complexity, melody, technicality, new style, new ground or new sound - to others its the lyrics, the content, the subject, the format, the poetry - and to some its the performance, the passion, the emotion and of course the effect it has on each individual listener. for others it will be the combination of all of the above.

You cant compare challenging with the beatles as they were just toss. an original example of the dross we get from Take That, Backend Boys, Britney Spears etc. Their songs fed the audince of young girls at the time - not at all challinging imho. Once they were on their pedastool they could have released any old shit (and some would say they did) and their fans would have bought it!(I accept reluctantly that this criticism could be levelled at U2 though!)

The music of U2 (and every other band) is measured individually by the listener. Its quality is therefore impossible to discuss to conclusion but great fun to discuss none the less.
At the time my friend, the girls were creaming over the "moptops" not the music. The music is something totally different entirely.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #54
Babyface

Wow...I can't believe the 20+ year U2 fan called HTDAAB a "cookie-cutter" album made for "airplay and awards".

You must be joking.

Yes, it won awards and rightly so.

Frankly, I think it's as good as anything they've ever done.

In fact, I think the last two albums stack up with anything they've ever done.

Certainly the Joshua Tree will always be held in high esteem and it was a fabulous album, but the last two are simply works of art.

I'd give a slight edge to Bomb, but ATYCLB isn't far behind.

Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On, Kite and When I Look at the World are all incredible songs.

Auchtung Baby is still one of my favorite U2 albums and I've been rediscovering some of the better tracks from Pop of late (Gone, Last Night on Earth, Please, Staring at the Sun, Do You Feel Loved), but these last two albums are both outstanding efforts.

Joshua, Auchtung, All You Can't and Bomb are clearly their best four albums. The ranking order just depends on personal taste.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by desertfan
Wow...I can't believe the 20+ year U2 fan called HTDAAB a "cookie-cutter" album made for "airplay and awards".

You must be joking.

Yes, it won awards and rightly so.

Frankly, I think it's as good as anything they've ever done.

In fact, I think the last two albums stack up with anything they've ever done.

Certainly the Joshua Tree will always be held in high esteem and it was a fabulous album, but the last two are simply works of art.

I'd give a slight edge to Bomb, but ATYCLB isn't far behind.

Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On, Kite and When I Look at the World are all incredible songs.

Auchtung Baby is still one of my favorite U2 albums and I've been rediscovering some of the better tracks from Pop of late (Gone, Last Night on Earth, Please, Staring at the Sun, Do You Feel Loved), but these last two albums are both outstanding efforts.

Joshua, Auchtung, All You Can't and Bomb are clearly their best four albums. The ranking order just depends on personal taste.
you can stress your opinion as much as you like, but certain people will always belive there opinion is much more important than yours
Old 05-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:
desertfan wrote: Joshua, Auchtung, All You Can't and Bomb are clearly their best four albums. The ranking order just depends on personal taste.
hola desertfan, IMO your're only half-right. TJT & AB both are on the quality top end of U2 releases. ATYCLB & HTDAAB aren't...thats my point of view
Old 05-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #57
Acrobat

I love impossible discussions

1. JT
2. Bomb
3. AB/WAR/BOY/POP/ATYCLB/ZOOROPA/UF etc etc
Old 05-16-2006, 08:57 AM   #58
New Yorker

i still cant believe that people like htdaab!!
i personally cant stand City of blinding lights!!(hate that song)

WAR/JT and achtung baby are miles ahead off Bomb and Atyclb!!
the vocals/instruments/musicianship/song structure and lyrics were all better on their previous albums!!
Doesn't anybody notice this?I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
lol
Old 05-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Quote:
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
We've all suspected this for quite awhile.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
i still cant believe that people like htdaab!!
i personally cant stand City of blinding lights!!(hate that song)

WAR/JT and achtung baby are miles ahead off Bomb and Atyclb!!
the vocals/instruments/musicianship/song structure and lyrics were all better on their previous albums!!
Doesn't anybody notice this?I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
lol
yes!!!!

No really although I can't stand HTDAAB, I'm glad other people like it.
Where some see the album as genius, I see a borefest and the only album which hasn't grown on me.