How Should U2 Respond To The Tsunami Disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kate1 said:
well the figures have changed since last week how the hell am i supposed to know?

Actually, the figure you originally posted (15 mil.) was never a correct figure.

Please people, let's not turn this thread into a debate about countries. This isn't about which country has helped more. It's about U2 and all U2. In what capacity should U2 help out the disaster victims, in both the long term and the short term?

My say is that U2 should help them through their music because that's what they do best. In the long term, a Live Aid 20th Anniversary concert would be great and U2 would perform there (not really organize it, that could be Sir Bob's job). In the short term, U2 can donate proceeds of their next single to the cause. It would be a win-win situation because aside from helping the victims, it could boost U2's sales somewhat because people who are iffy in getting the single will just get it anyway because it is for a good cause.

Cheers,

J

Jick, I think that's a great idea. Both the concert AND the single.

I really can't see how this original post can be considered annoying.:tsk: Some people really overreact to your posts Jick or take them the wrong way. It's a real shame.

Just read on a Danish news site, that Cliff Richard, Boy George are recording a song for the victims of this disaster. Ronan keating and others have also been asked to participate.

I know its not exactly U2, but its quick action by these guys and a great thing to do. And i am sure its gonna sell

yimou said:
Just read on a Danish news site, that Cliff Richard, Boy George are recording a song for the victims of this disaster. Ronan keating and others have also been asked to participate.

I know its not exactly U2, but its quick action by these guys and a great thing to do. And i am sure its gonna sell

I'm sure while U2 may have already done something by now privately, they will have a public response soon.

If I remember correctly, proceeds of the One single went to AIDS research funding or at least part of the proceeds. So I don't see why they won't make a statement about the disaster in the cardboard sleeves of their next single. They may not give proceeds of the single, but they will surely be putting up a phone number and contact info there where you can contribute.

But I don't honestly expect U2 to write a brand new song just for the cause. But hopefully in early 2006, U2 can hold an Asian leg of their tour in Asian markets whose economy can handle them like perhaps Singapore, China, or Hong Kong and give proceeds of ticket sales to releif efforts. And in between shows they can also visit the badly hit areas and all. A concert in the Asian market would also send a statement that U2 aren't neglecting the Asian market.

They can even do a concert in my country. We have had acts like Alanis, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, Pearl Jam, Phil Collins, and even Sting come over so I don't see why not U2 also.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

They can even do a concert in my country. We have had acts like Alanis, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, Pearl Jam, Phil Collins, and even Sting come over so I don't see why not U2 also.

I agree Jick

beli said:
If Bono took on any more causes he may well be ridiculed. He really needs to pick a few causes and stick to them otherwise he will come across as a whineybaby.

I have actually thought the same thing for years, glad someone finally said it.

yimou said:
In a situation like the Tsunami disaster, then i think it would be utterly tasteless if people need entertainment or a speech from a band in order to cough up money to help the victims.
Emergency help is needed, and if people can´t realise the importance of this without the help of U2 or other stars, then its a sad sad thing.

Ofcourse a benifit concert in the future would be great. If it need to be U2 i dont know,

I completely agree. I think that people should be passionate enough in regards to the human condition to just give out of the heart and not 'cause some rock star has told them to do so.

Zootomic said:
If anyone is interested in making a donation you can do so through Amazon.com. You can donate a minimum of $5 using your Amazon account and the donations go to the Red Cross. This is a great idea for those who already have an Amazon account. Of course you can also donate through other organizations such as Unicef.
Thank you for posting the donation information.

isabelle_guns said:

I have actually thought the same thing for years, glad someone finally said it.

If I were Bono, being riduculed would be the last of my worries.

Being a rockstar - the world's biggest rockstar at that, he is in a position to help unlike others can. He has a certain push, a certain voice that can influence and touch more people compared to normal casual people.

So if Bono wants to use his rock stardom to help and influence others, he will. The lives of others are more important than being worried about simply being ridiculed.

Cheers,

J

Catman said:
Here's something interesting...

http://imdb.com/news/wenn/#1

Not sure if it's been posted, yet.

Hasn't been posted yet, but it would be great if U2 would participate in it.

The first few replies of this thread hinted that a silent donation had probably already been made by U2 and that would be enough.

My take is that U2 is too big of a band and too influential, and a public figure that they can do so much more than a simple silent donation. And with all these concert plans and charity singles on the horizon, it looks like U2 will indeed participate in the capacity they do best -which is via their music.

It reminds me of the one of Jesus' stories which was dubbed as the parable of the talents in the Bible. It seems U2 will indeed harness their talents for good - their biggest God-given talent being their music. I am sure if U2 won't do this Live Aid 2 event, they will still find ways to help via their music as opposed to a simple silent donation.

Cheers,

J

I don't think U2 should be required to do anything. And I don't think Bono should stretch himself too thin - like someone else here said - if he keeps taking on causes it makes him look ridiculous. "Oh, Bono's taking on another cause....whoopdee doo." Also, the more causes Bono takes up, the less direct attention is given to each one of those causes. He'd have to spread his time out between more than just two, which is where he's at now. And the two are related - debt relief and AIDS, both in Africa. By keeping to just this cause, it keeps the message strong, as opposed to it getting drowned out in a sea of causes Bono is pushing.

-Miggy

Back
Top Bottom