How ready are YOU for the album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawk269

Acrobat
So we are all in different states of mind as we hit a new U2 album. I can recall each stage of my life and where I was at when I heard a certain U2 album for the first time.

Like last album, I just graduated from college and was just starting out working and hanging out in Manhattan, and listening to 'New York' and connecting with it on a thousand levels.

Our psychology and perception of the world around us completely has an effect on how we relate to things that are culturally significant (such as music).

Where are *you* at these days? And how does it affect what you would like this album to be?

Personally, I could use an authentic, voracious, take-no-prisoners rock album to get me out of bed in the morning. Something I can run with on the treadmill, blast in my car, or motivate me to reach a little deeper. I don't know about you, but working too hard has really numbed me the last few months and I could use a good ass-kicking rock album.

AJ

P.S. This whole album feels like a bonus - I can't explain why - maybe it's because the last album and tour was at such a high level.

How to dismantle my life...

I can't wait to hear the new stuff - this is a year of major changes in my life and I love the thought that an extraordinary, brilliant U2 album will accompany that.

Since I lost (well, not that I wanted to be a consultant any longer, but anyway) my job and I will become an "uncle" for the second time AND I'M GONNA MARRY IN...guess when: NOVEMBER (2 days before VERTIGO will be released) I hope for "rethinking your life"/"change of directions" themes. But those I think were already dealed with on "All that you can leave behind" (see "Beautiful Day").

I prefer great, soaring, melodic BritPop/Alternative/Independent guitar pop/rock nowadays and hope that U2 will deliver some great anthems to accompany the start of my "new life". But then again: Each U2 album has provided me with the power and strength I need, so I'm not afraid of being dissapointed this time.

Once again: What more does it take to make me happy? Returning from my honeymoon I can go directly (well, two days later) to my record dealer and buy HTDAAB!!

BTW: Great threat, i.m.h.o.!

JoJo

For years I was excited. Then a couple months ago I totally burned out and lost interest and didn't care anymore. Okay since it's now imminent I'm excited again!

I'm a dad of 5 months, and I'm open to all sorts of new experiences from the new album. Hopefully though, it won't be an album of chill out tunes to send my boy to sleep..or there again, what I wouldn't give for a good nights sleep :wink:

Hawk269 - I am in the exact same situation. Except I had just started a job in Chicago when ATYCLB was released, so I did not have the connection to the song New York.

I really could use a real rock album to motivate me, and it looks like we may get it.:yes:

I'm not ready for it.
I'd like to wait another year or 2.

Tizer, i'm w/ you. i'm a new dad of 2 weeks!! i could use some great new rock to inspire me and get my 2 week old son hooked !:wink:

I already put in a vacation request for the day the album is released, does that tell how excited I am? And I got it, btw...

My daughter turns one year old the day the album drops! She's already a fan of the Slane Castle DVD, Streets is the first song I ever played for her, and I used to sing U2 songs to get her to sleep. Needless to say, we're going to Best Buy together (along with my wife) to get the album that day!

Re: How to dismantle my life...

JoJo said:
I can't wait to hear the new stuff - this is a year of major changes in my life and I love the thought that an extraordinary, brilliant U2 album will accompany that.

Since I lost (well, not that I wanted to be a consultant any longer, but anyway) my job and I will become an "uncle" for the second time AND I'M GONNA MARRY IN...guess when: NOVEMBER (2 days before VERTIGO will be released) I hope for "rethinking your life"/"change of directions" themes. But those I think were already dealed with on "All that you can leave behind" (see "Beautiful Day").

I prefer great, soaring, melodic BritPop/Alternative/Independent guitar pop/rock nowadays and hope that U2 will deliver some great anthems to accompany the start of my "new life". But then again: Each U2 album has provided me with the power and strength I need, so I'm not afraid of being dissapointed this time.

Once again: What more does it take to make me happy? Returning from my honeymoon I can go directly (well, two days later) to my record dealer and buy HTDAAB!!

BTW: Great threat, i.m.h.o.!

JoJo

careful with that username pal.
:)

Being a bit new to this whole U2 cult (so shoot me, I'm only 16), I missed the last tour; hence the boys can't get to Boston soon enough for me. As for the album, well, this is my first time counting down the days to a release date for music, and I must say, it's a somewhat enjoyable experience. :D I love hearing the DJ's hype on the radio stations.

I will be at Tower at midnight the night before waiting for it....
I am sooooo ready, I cant stand the wait anymore! :hyper:
Like U2 said :
"Please fasten your seatbelts and put all of your carry-ons under the seat in front of you, we are about ready for take-off. Have all of the fireplugs in your town ready. We will see you soon!":yes:
Whoooohoooooo!!!!!:hyper: Bring it on!!!!!

isabelle_guns said:
Im ready but not anxious

Ditto. In fact, being "ready" never even entered my mind. I have nothing to do with this album. It is what it is, whether I like it, love it, or hate it. I guess as a long time fan who's been through many album releases, I don't feel any particular emotion for the release - just a curiousity about the new sound. I've already waited this long for new U2, what's a few more weeks? ;)

I will admit I was far more hopeful with ATYCLB's release. "Pop" sold reasonably well, but poor by U2's standards. The tour performed well worldwide, but was considered a "disappointment" by some oblivious haters because U2 failed to sell out every stadium show. As a result, one wondered if U2 was no longer relevant. I wondered if we had seen the last of U2's "glory days". If ATYCLB and tour didn't live up to past U2 expectations, U2 would be branded a "has-been". Would this impact me? Only in the sense that I wanted my favorite band to still be relevant and hip, not part of the "golden oldies" clan - at least not yet. :wink:

With the glaring success of ATYCLB and the Elevation tour, the pressure is off. U2 are free to explore a bit more. So now I'm more curious than worried, anxious or anything else about this upcoming release. I'm interested in seeing what they throw our way now, as U2 seemed to have already done just about all they could within the confines of rock/pop.

Last edited:
I moved to a new town and started a new job the first week of October 2000, so I was still trying to adjust to all this when ATYCLB came out. My mind really wasn't on music or U2 at the time, so I wasn't really anticipating it much. I remember having the Olympics on TV in the background while I was packing to move to my new place and unexpectedly hearing Beautiful Day for the first time when they played it over a montage of clips from that day's competition, and being not terribly impressed. I don't know if it was the song itself or just my being distracted by the chaos in my life at the time. I didn't even rush out and get the album the first day. I bought it after it had been in stores about a week or so.

Things are really different now because I suddenly got heavily into U2 fandom again for the first time in a long time in November 2001 when I saw the Boston Elevation concert on VH1. I've been breathlessly anticipating the new album for what seems like an eternity, and I don't have any huge upheaval in my life at the moment to distract me.

Me too! The Boston concert on VH1 is what got me officially HOOKED! Before that, though, I saw "U2 Does Much" on the MuchMusic channel. I was so excited that I couldn't sleep that night. Ah... It only saddens me that I can't go back to the fresh feeling of excitement I had back then. But having a new album will certainly be a breath of fresh air. I probably won't be able to sleep on the night of November 22!

Back
Top Bottom