How Popular Were the Last 2 Albums? See Last.FM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: How Popular Were the Last 2 Albums? See Last.FM

elevated_u2_fan said:

:up:

I would almost say it's somehow "cool" to make fun of the last two albums although I'm not altogether sure why :slant:

ATYCLB bashing :shame:

HTDAAB bashing :drool: :drool:

Utoo said:

While I understand the sentiment, I don't think it's quite fair to assume that the majority of people out there using Last.FM are casual fans that only have a few singles. Looking at your signature, GG, I see that you currently have a Roger Waters song on there. Surely, you have most or all of Roger's & Pink Floyd's catalogs? I don't doubt it. In fact, nearly 100% of the people here who have shots of Last.FM on their signatures are audiophiles. I don't see the basis for assuming that the vast majority of Last.FM users are casual fan imbeciles and greatly unlike the Last.FM users who grace Interference.

I base what I say on what I see, not on assumptions. :shrug: My sister hates most U2 songs, but she enjoys Beautiful Day. That's the only U2 song she has on her computer. At university, I usually hop onto iTunes to see what everyone else is listening to on my university's wireless network. That library sharing feature for wireless networks is pretty cool by the way, I encourage anyone who uses the Internet at school or in cafes to check it out, as you can find a lot of stuff you've never heard before. Anyway. I've seen quite a few people with U2 in their iTunes libraries, and they're all nothing but the hits. And only a few of them at that. One guy had Beautiful Day, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, Stuck, and One in his library. Another had all of HTDAAB and Best of 1980-1990. I haven't come across a single person yet with the full catalogue or even close to the full catalogue. I bet you if I went up to these same people and asked them to name a song from Zooropa, they wouldn't be able to. Hence, these people are NOT representative of what U2 fans think about the band's music. I don't want to argue over what constitutes a fan. But in my view, a person who doesn't own at least 50% of a band's catalogue can't call him or herself a fan. You can't be a U2 fan if you've only heard Beautiful Day and Vertigo. And for a significant number of Last.fm users, this is likely the case. So are the listening habits of these people able to determine whether or not U2's last two albums are of comparable quality to everything they've done prior to 2000? Of course not.

Case in point, the top listener for Beautiful Day last week: click to view her overall album charts. The only album this person has ever listened to on Last.fm is ATYCLB.

As I've said before, Last.fm charts of popular artists are dominated by extremely casual fans/downloaders. Only obscure bands and obscure artists have a better representation of the general and hardcore fanbase. You brought up Roger Waters - his top twenty chart, excluding the live Pink Floyd tracks, is representative of what his fans believe to be his best solo work. You can't say the same thing about U2 and other similarly successful bands/artists, because there are outside factors affecting the charts - namely huge singles and the downloading that goes with them.

So really, I think using Last.fm charts to question the 'vocal' members of Interference isn't the right way to go about it.

GibsonGirl said:

I base what I say on what I see, not on assumptions. :shrug: My sister hates most U2 songs, but she enjoys Beautiful Day. That's the only U2 song she has on her computer. At university, I usually hop onto iTunes to see what everyone else is listening to on my university's wireless network. That library sharing feature for wireless networks is pretty cool by the way, I encourage anyone who uses the Internet at school or in cafes to check it out, as you can find a lot of stuff you've never heard before. Anyway. I've seen quite a few people with U2 in their iTunes libraries, and they're all nothing but the hits. And only a few of them at that. One guy had Beautiful Day, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, Stuck, and One in his library. Another had all of HTDAAB and Best of 1980-1990. I haven't come across a single person yet with the full catalogue or even close to the full catalogue. I bet you if I went up to these same people and asked them to name a song from Zooropa, they wouldn't be able to. Hence, these people are NOT representative of what U2 fans think about the band's music. I don't want to argue over what constitutes a fan. But in my view, a person who doesn't own at least 50% of a band's catalogue can't call him or herself a fan. You can't be a U2 fan if you've only heard Beautiful Day and Vertigo. And for a significant number of Last.fm users, this is likely the case. So are the listening habits of these people able to determine whether or not U2's last two albums are of comparable quality to everything they've done prior to 2000? Of course not.

Case in point, the top listener for Beautiful Day last week: click to view her overall album charts. The only album this person has ever listened to on Last.fm is ATYCLB.

As I've said before, Last.fm charts of popular artists are dominated by extremely casual fans/downloaders. Only obscure bands and obscure artists have a better representation of the general and hardcore fanbase. You brought up Roger Waters - his top twenty chart, excluding the live Pink Floyd tracks, is representative of what his fans believe to be his best solo work. You can't say the same thing about U2 and other similarly successful bands/artists, because there are outside factors affecting the charts - namely huge singles and the downloading that goes with them.

So really, I think using Last.fm charts to question the 'vocal' members of Interference isn't the right way to go about it.

:love: GG :love:

why are you always right ..:wink: ??

GibsonGirl said:

At university, I usually hop onto iTunes to see what everyone else is listening to on my university's wireless network. That library sharing feature for wireless networks is pretty cool by the way, I encourage anyone who uses the Internet at school or in cafes to check it out, as you can find a lot of stuff you've never heard before.

How do you do that?

Re: Re: Re: How Popular Were the Last 2 Albums? See Last.FM

U2Man said:

interesting choices. my first thought was mrbrau and u2girl.

well it was a tough choice between shaun vox and KUEFC09U2, theyre practically the same person.

coolian2 said:

How do you do that?

Preferences > Sharing

Put a check by 'Look for shared libraries' and 'Share my library on my local network.'

Mmm, and I checked out the charts of the next five top listeners of Beautiful Day last week. Second top listener has only listened to JT, HTDAAB and ATYCLB. Third top listener has only listened to HTDAAB and ATYCLB. Fourth top listener has only listened to ATYCLB and AB (only 6 times for AB). Fifth top listener doesn't even have a U2 album listed in his or her overall album charts, meaning that he or she probably downloaded Beautiful Day. Sixth top listener only has HTDAAB and JT in the overall album chart.

U2 fans? :hmm:

According to last.fm...

Trip Through Your Wires > Zoo Station

I can't say I disagree, but the fanbase as a whole does, I'm certain. :|

This doesn't really prove anything except what I've previously observed on last.fm: a band's newest singles/albums tend to do very well on the charts.

GibsonGirl said:

Preferences > Sharing

Put a check by 'Look for shared libraries' and 'Share my library on my local network.'

Thank you

U2 – Beautiful Day
U2 – Where The Streets Have No Name
U2 – The Fly
U2 – I Will Follow
U2 – Bullet the Blue Sky
U2 – Until the End of the World
U2 – Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
U2 – One Tree Hill
U2 – Vertigo
U2 – City of Blinding Lights

Hmmm...my top 10 on last.fm

coolian2 said:

Thank you

U2 – Beautiful Day
U2 – Where The Streets Have No Name
U2 – The Fly
U2 – I Will Follow
U2 – Bullet the Blue Sky
U2 – Until the End of the World
U2 – Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
U2 – One Tree Hill
U2 – Vertigo
U2 – City of Blinding Lights

Hmmm...my top 10 on last.fm

haha...5-6/10 are obvious choices. :tsk:

:wink:

Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet) / Sunshine Of Your Love (snippet)

:drool:

GibsonGirl said:

Mmm, and I checked out the charts of the next five top listeners of Beautiful Day last week. Second top listener has only listened to JT, HTDAAB and ATYCLB. Third top listener has only listened to HTDAAB and ATYCLB. Fourth top listener has only listened to ATYCLB and AB (only 6 times for AB). Fifth top listener doesn't even have a U2 album listed in his or her overall album charts, meaning that he or she probably downloaded Beautiful Day. Sixth top listener only has HTDAAB and JT in the overall album chart.

U2 fans? :hmm:

I only have 6 U2 albums in my overall charts, does that mean I don't own the others?

gman said:
Is it not the whole point of forums to have different opinions? Thats what make them work! The only TRUE bashing i see on here is of those who dare say anything mildly critical of u2. Having been an avid fan since 1981, i reserve the right to say what ever i like about them and if its percieved as negative, TOUGH!!!
For the record, i genuinely like the last couple of albums for the most part, but I think it is far from their best work.

And you missed the complete point of my original post. :applaud:

My point wasn't that you can't express yourself. Uh... where did I or anyone else say this? :scratch: All I stated was that I was quite surprised by the abundance of people who seem to dislike these last two albums. At times, the negativity towards these last two releases seems so dominant, that it almost seemed a backlash from fans was coming. But this Last.FM site suggests that this negativity is really coming from a few people on this site and doesn't reflect the opinions of most people.

I accept that younger people are the ones listening to Last.FM - but then, isn't this a good thing? U2 are always trying to stay relevant and attract younger fans. So if younger fans are the ones dominating Last.FM, where 40% of the Top songs are from the last two albums, then I think U2 are succeeding nicely. It also suggests that U2 aren't just making "adult contemporary" music, as many have stated, but songs that younger fans also enjoy.

In other words, based on Last.FM, I see nothing but good results for the last 2 albums.

The bad is that the utter lack of "Zooropa" and "Pop" songs suggests U2 won't be heading that way again. But the presence of AB songs does suggest U2 shouldn't abandon "experimenting", just not in a more extreme manner. :sexywink:

GibsonGirl said:
BonoIsMyMuse is absolutely correct. Last.fm isn't a good gauge of how U2 fans feel about the albums at all. A lot of people out there likely only have one or two U2 albums. Even more probably only have a few of the singles/hits downloaded. Looking at the top ten, what do we have? Beautiful Day, With Or Without You, Vertigo, SBS and One. U2's big five as far as singles and hits go. Last.fm charts for commercially successful bands like U2 tend to be dominated by kids who download any particular band's hits and don't bother with anything else. Do you think that most of the 14-year-old kids who have Vertigo and Beautiful Day downloaded on their computers would even know about songs like Exit, Rejoice or Please? You have to look a lot farther down the list usually to see the listening habits the big fans of the band - the kind that would visit Interference daily. You can do it for any band.

Red Hot Chili Peppers:
1. Dani California
2. Californication
3. Scar Tissue
4. By The Way
5. Scar Tissue

Any big RHCP fan would NOT consider Dani California to be amongst the group's best work by any stretch of the imagination. It's number one because it's current and because a lot of teenagers have downloaded it.

It really doesn't surprise me that a lot of HTDAAB tracks are high in the top 100 either. How many of us listened to that album obsessively in the first few weeks?

Any data can be skewed or interpreted differently. But I stand by my interpretation and disagree with yours for several reasons.

First, you pointed out the big flaw in the RHCP data - there's new material. If U2 released a new album now, I would expect the first single or two to dominate Last.FM. New songs will skew results.

However, as I stated in my first post, there is no brand new U2. Granted, some isn't that old, but it's not fresh. And, the new is mixed in nicely with the old. The entire list, in fact, is a nice blend of pre-AB material with the new songs.

I would also argue that while the Top 5 are the "big hits", this is probably true for most artists. Furthermore, a better look through the Top 50 reveals songs that weren't huge hits for U2 and actually shows a nice mix of almost all the songs from the last 2 albums!

So while one can interpret the data in varying ways, and one can argue that this is only one source, the sheer volume of listens for the various songs does suggest some credibility. Of course, if you hate the last two albums, I'm sure you'll completely disregard any support for them. And that suggests some bias in data interpretation. :sexywink:

I know that surveys mean sod all really but out of curiosity I checked out the results of the @U2 survey at the end of last year http://www.atu2.com/survey/2006/ .For the question what's your favourite album, out of the 14, ATYCLB and HTDAAB came 3rd and 4th after AB and JT whilst for the question what's your least favourite album Boy, October, Zooropa, Pop and R&H all fared worse than ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Over 5000 people responded, with the majority being fans for at least 10 years.

Now maybe the diehard fans who hated the last 2 albums didn't complete the survey but it does seem to show that the majority of "big" long term fans do still like them sufficiently to rate them higher than most of the other albums. I know I fall into this category. There's tracks on ATYCLB and HTDAAB I can't stand but overall I think they're great albums, better than many but they don't match the magic of AB or JT.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How Popular Were the Last 2 Albums? See Last.FM

doctorwho said:

JT bashing. :applaud:

HTDAAB bashing. :madwife:

PLEASE :wink: ...I bash HTDAAB in my sleep

now ATYCLB is :drool: ..bashing it is uncceptable :wink:

doctorwho said:
I would also argue that while the Top 5 are the "big hits", this is probably true for most artists. Furthermore, a better look through the Top 50 reveals songs that weren't huge hits for U2 and actually shows a nice mix of almost all the songs from the last 2 albums!

I would een say that something very fishy is going on when a band's biggest songs aren't in the top 5 -
like a poll at Intererence would end up in

though I'm sure it has its flaws I'm also sure the last.fm charts give a better view of the overall fanbase than a thread at Interf

I don't rate How to dismantle as a highpoint in the band's discography, but that doesn't mean I need to apply myself with some sort of disgruntled attitude over the fact that it actually is a very popular album for many people

Back
Top Bottom