How often do you think they hit the pub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How often do I think the members of U2 visit pubs for a pint (perhaps)? Well, considering that type of activity is a top social activity/hang out place in Ireland, I would think they do visit when they can, when they have time and when too many people aren't around to harass them. This of course is only conjecture. :shrug:

I would say much more than most of you want to believe. Of all the talk about how 'busy' they are, the prolly spend more time in the pub than they do working on the album, politicing, or anything else. These guys are rock stars, they are rich, they don't have jobs. Not real jobs that tie you do a time schedule. Look, it's taken them 3 years to make this album and it's not done yet. Can any of us say the same thing about our jobs? They are on their own free time schedule. If they want to work they work, if they want to campaign they will, but most of the time they are on their own to do as they please and enjoy their money. I would guess they spend a lot of time in pubs, especially Bono and Gavin.

:drunk:

:lol:

Last edited:
I would also say that because they are extremely busy rock stars with many facets to their enterprise, they probably spend LESS time in a drinking pub than we imagine. They have better things to do. It takes alot of time to stay on a record label's schedule - their time is not necessarily their own because they are wealthy and own their song catalogue. There's alot more to a musician and their loafing than most people can ever ever fathom.

i think it would go in spurts - when they are touring or in the studio, i would imagine they would get to the pub rarely. but when they are "on holiday" i would suspect that Bono would be a frequent partier. Adam, i think lays off the sauce now, larry i would bet would drink, but do it at home.

I would think (and hope) that since they have families they would be more responsible than to be out drinking most of the time. Sitting around drinking alcohol is such useless and destructive behavior that will only kill their brain cells and make Bono write bad lyrics. ("The air is heavy, heavy as a truck...")

Rachel D. said:
I would think (and hope) that since they have families they would be more responsible than to be out drinking most of the time. Sitting around drinking alcohol is such useless and destructive behavior that will only kill their brain cells and make Bono write bad lyrics. ("The air is heavy, heavy as a truck...")

...welcome to Ireland !

If only James Joyce had stayed t-total :eyebrow:

I shall be in Dublin this weekend getting royally pissed.

Rachel D. said:
I would think (and hope) that since they have families they would be more responsible than to be out drinking most of the time. Sitting around drinking alcohol is such useless and destructive behavior that will only kill their brain cells

Come tell that to my husband, please :lol:

Vampira said:
Of all the talk about how 'busy' they are, the prolly spend more time in the pub than they do working on the album, politicing, or anything else.

:

:lol:

I totally disagree with that. With Bono's AIDS work, 4 kids and wife, traveling all of the time, signing autographs, etc. They are working on the album! They are very busy, Bono leaves places so many times.

Even if Bono isn't working on the album the other U2 member are at lease trying to I believe!

A great deal of our PLEBA photo-ops do involve Lillie's Bordello or a similar establishment! :)

I KNOW He does drink. He said once him not drinking too much was his saving grace.

Last edited:
Probably often...it is a cultural thing. That is like asking a Canadian how often they watch the hockey game on TV.

mikal said:
but they're irish. ALL irish people are lushes, right?

Not quite. It's like HelloAngel said, the pub culture in Ireland is so different from the bar scene in the US. Entire familes, from little kids to grandparents, go to pubs together to eat, drink, listen to music and hang out. The main point of pubs there is for community, not for getting totally hammered like ours are.

I think it's great that the band members have the time and the capability to stop into a pub and wind down, spending good time with friends and family and being as normal as possible.

I'm sure they like to pop to the pub for a couple of an evening :)

I just watched a documentary about the drinking culture in nottingham (where I live) and apparantly there's a square mile in the city that's got over 360 drinking establishments :ohmy:

I'm sure they drink a bit but I can't imagine that they have the free time to go every night or anything. :)
I'm pretty sure there was plenty of alcohol around in some of those Bono at Troy premiere pics. :wink:

dsmith2904 said:

Not quite. It's like HelloAngel said, the pub culture in Ireland is so different from the bar scene in the US. Entire familes, from little kids to grandparents, go to pubs together to eat, drink, listen to music and hang out. The main point of pubs there is for community, not for getting totally hammered like ours are.

Interesting. :) So are there different "rock type" clubs where bands would play?

My husband is a total lush and he could pass for 21. Booze is a preservative;) :lol:

Last edited:
dsmith2904 said:

That's really interesting, because here, bars are mostly dirty places where dirty people go. I know it's not that way in bigger cities, where they're filled with upper-class snobs (tee hee), but here they're quite dangerous and people get stabbed and raped alot in bars. In fact, the owner of a night club is on trial now for murdering someone and cutting them up into little peices. I can't imagine taking the whole family to a place like that, but I know it's different in Ireland.

Bono is a drunk. This is a man who snuck vodka into the Grammy's a few years ago. In fact, they were all hammered at the Grammy's in 88 as well.
He tells stories of drinking contests with Sinatra. Sorry to shatter the image that they're "perfect", but they like the sauce.

I also read Bono and Edge had a drinking contest with the Gallagher brothers from Oasis (probably in 97 when they were on tour together) and our guys won.

Having said that, I don't think any of them are at the AA stage or anything. They probably drink less than they used to, especially since they got families (and, well, older) and everything, IMO Zoo TV was the last big partying-time for them.

I'd reckon they are no different to anyone else. They just work on different schedules. The likelihood of no one bring a slab into the studio is as unlikely them hardly 'canning on' in a pub.
They drink. It's not a crime.

Rachel D. said:

In fact, the owner of a night club is on trial now for murdering someone and cutting them up into little peices.

Oh, that's disgusting. Ewww ... :thumbdown:

I have been led to believe that U2 are very fond of their brew. Whether or not they drink it in pubs, I don't know ... they could easily get plastered while they're on the road, at home, anywhere really.

Back
Top Bottom