How much credit should Brian Eno get for U2's sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
brian-eno.jpg

I'd just like to thank the users who started talking about Low...I just downloaded it on iTunes and I love it. Speed of Life is such a cool opening!

SpaceBoy said:
I'd just like to thank the users who started talking about Low...I just downloaded it on iTunes and I love it. Speed of Life is such a cool opening!

Glad you like it. You will never stop listening to it. It's like crack.

Flying FuManchu said:
So what do people think? Is Eno really the reason for U2's success/ sound? How much should Eno get credit for post-War U2?

I think Brian Eno is absolutely brilliant, but the most of Eno I ever hear in U2 is in "Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1." ATYCLB might as well have been produced by someone else, because it just doesn't sound like anything he would have done.

Oh and I love his solo work, but I'm also a fan of ambient music. "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" is excellent, IMO.

Melon

thrillme said:
"Passengers" which Larry doesn't care for much, that is what happens when Eno fully influences U2's work.

Well I think Eno has his hands all over Zooropa almost as much as Passengers, and that's a masterpiece of innovation. He just blew the thing wide open for U2 on that one.

The ambient stylings on UF and industrial treatment of AB is nothing compared to the bouillabaisse of sounds found on Zooropa. I'm sure Edge was part of this as well, but Eno's genius lies in strategies and getting the artist to reconsider the work and the direction they're taking it.

You can't look so much at specifics like instruments he played or a backing vocal that he laid down. He's a guru. Lanois, while a great producer, doesn't have anywhere near that kind of effect. Just listen to any pre-Eno Bowie or any pre-Eno Talking Heads, or pre-Eno James for that matter and you'll see what kind of a difference he makes. Whereas if you look at pre-Lanois Peter Gabriel, it's not so much of a difference.

The bands aren't good because of him, they are brought into new WORLDS because of him. And in that respect he can't be overrated.

laz

All this talk over Mr. Eno has reminded me of the fun Unforgettable Fire documentary....

"There's my passport, I'm Quincy Jones."

and...

"Look what you've done with your bloody rock and roll music, you've put out the sun...."

Yes but my point is that the artists he works with have already independently found their sound. Lanois may heavily influence the sound of the ALBUM, but not the overall sense of the artists as Eno does.

Lanois didn't revolutionize the careers of his artists. He just recorded some of their really good albums. Eno had a noticeable effect on the people he worked with, and you only need look at their work before they recorded with him.

I can look at pre-Lanois Willie Nelson, Dylan, Emmylou, and as I mentioned before Peter Gabriel, and not see some kind of growth spurt.

laz

Back
Top Bottom