How many U2 compilations will we eventually see?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
Okay so far we've got

Best of 1980-1990
Best of 1990-2000

Both of these are considered by fans to be more for people who already like the band, with the exception of course that 1980-1990 is an excellent gift for someone getting into U2.

U218 is going to be just the singles, and appears to appeal to people who have yet to get into U2 as there is very little incentive for current fans to purchase this.

Do you think we'll get one more collection full of 2000-20??, with some tweaked mixes, remixes, and some non-album U2 filler?

I think we'll get another one of those, plus after that we'll get an 'The Essential U2' which will probably do the best job with summarizing their catalogue.

Oh, and also a box set - isn't that the rumor currently that is on their current record deal?

The only thing that will really matter to fans like those on interference is a box set with several new tracks. Otherwise, who cares...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Otherwise, who cares...
Well, what will we talk about for the next couple of years until we get a new album, eventually.... :lol:

:(

Projected release schedule...

2007 - U2 Greatest Hits
2008 - The Essential U2 (2CD)
2009 - 20th Century Masters: U2
2010 - Artist's Choice Deluxe Edition: U2 (Starbucks Exclusive)
2011 - Rhino Hi-Five: U2 (iTunes exclusive)
2012 - U2: Smash Hits
2013 - K-tel Presents: U2

Don't forget the Best of Non-Singles, the Best of Rarities, the Best of Live performances you already have on DVD, the Best of the Joshua Tree, and the Best of the Best of 1980-1990.

:|

I'm eagerly awaiting The Best Of Bono Reading The Phone Book While Edge Whistles, Adam Taps Spoons, And Larry Sulks.

Danny Boy said:
Projected release schedule...

2010 - Artist's Choice Deluxe Edition: U2 (Starbucks Exclusive)

I thought this came out free with a their MOJO cover last year? (It also wouldn't have u2 material.....)

Canadiens1160 said:
Well, what will we talk about for the next couple of years until we get a new album, eventually.... :lol:

"The Best of Canadiens1160 Volume I & II" ??

;)

(REFERRING TO VOLUMES OF YOUR POSTS, NOT YOUR SINGING)

Last edited:
Axver said:
I'm eagerly awaiting The Best Of Bono Reading The Phone Book While Edge Whistles, Adam Taps Spoons, And Larry Sulks.

Already released. It's called "Passengers".....

Just kidding. I love that album.

:wink:

I don't know why we should assume that a 'Best Of 2000-2010' or anything like that is still in the works. That was simply what we assumed would be the third release on U2's three best of record deal, but U218 will be that third release. As of now, U2 aren't under contract with anyone as far as any 2000-2010 compilation is concerned.

It's been established that U2:18 is being released at least partially to fulfill that contractual obligation, so I don't think we should assume that U2 are just going to start pumping out a compilation every year.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying we won't see another one until U2 are done.

If U2 was under contract for more Best Of albums, I'd have liked to see them release another from 1980-1990 with tracks which weren't on the first one. Something along the lines of what everyone mentioned awhile back... The Rest Of 1980-1990.

A Sort Of Homecoming
Gloria
Two Hearts Beat As One
Surrender
Hawkmoon 269
God Part II
One Tree Hill
Electric Co.
Tomorrow
11 O' Clock Tick Tock
Like A Song
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Heartland
Promenade (hidden track 4th of July)

or the same thing with the 1990-2000

Zooropa
Last Night On Earth
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Mofo
Lemon
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness

the tourist said:
If U2 was under contract for more Best Of albums, I'd have liked to see them release another from 1980-1990 with tracks which weren't on the first one. Something along the lines of what everyone mentioned awhile back... The Rest Of 1980-1990.

A Sort Of Homecoming
Gloria
Two Hearts Beat As One
Surrender
Hawkmoon 269
God Part II
One Tree Hill
Electric Co.
Tomorrow
11 O' Clock Tick Tock
Like A Song
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Heartland
Promenade (hidden track 4th of July)

or the same thing with the 1990-2000

Zooropa
Last Night On Earth
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Mofo
Lemon
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness

I like both those lists a lot more than the best of compilations....

I'd be happy with a Best of 2000-2010 and remastered studio albums with bonus tracks or dvds or something.

Example:
Disc 1 - The Joshua Tree album
Disc 2 - B-sides and rarities
DVD - Making Of, Music videos, selected live videos.

Retail for about 20-25 dollars, 50 dollars at FYE.

Haven't you heard, U2 will only release Bests ofs from now on, there's not gonna be any more original new material. This way, Bono can just keep wandering the world doing his Statesman stuff until he wins the Nobel Peace Prize :happy:

u220cm.jpg
u2gh.jpg
U210best.jpg
u2alltime.jpg

Five greatest hits compilations.....

1. Best Of 1980-1990
2. Best Of 1990-2000
3. U2:18
4. Best Of 2000-2010 (This WILL happen......"City Of Blinding Lights"....."All Because Of You", etc..........the band will want to have a three disc collection out there)
5. Some sort of career spanning two-disc set AFTER they call it quits

GibsonGirl said:

:drool:

Four note bass lines with a different tone!

But it works. Serve the song, not one's ego. Why doesn't Edge to 10 minute guitar solos? Lack of ability, nah, just doesn't want to. From a couple interviews I've read from Adam's bass instructor, I'm lead to believe Adam plays possum a bit in regards to his true abilities on the bass.

////////////////////////////////////

Anyhoo, U2 still needs to release a live compilation of some sort.
I wouldn't mind a live compilation every other year. Go the Pearl Jam route and release of bunch of bootlegs. I suppose U2 aren't the money grubbers some make them out to be, cos they could make a mint by selling official bootlegs. Considering U2 allegedly record nearly every concert.

Back
Top Bottom