How many U2 albums do you feel are truly "complete"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
This thread idea popped in my head after days of reading through the Achtung Baby/HTDAAB production comparison thread, along with a bunch of conversation in the superthreads about restructuring track listings and which albums we wouldn't touch.

U2, in my mind, has never been, nor ever will be a brilliant studio band. However, IMO, they are (outside of perhaps The Who) the greatest rock band of all time in a live setting. Because of this my expectations for the albums themselves are set rather low. I mostly just want a good, enjoyable set of songs that can be expanded on live, but I wouldn't complain if I got a work of art, obviously. :wink: As you can expect, there are very few U2 albums that I honestly believe could not be realistically improved in the areas of sequencing, song choice, and production, but I can't deny that they have done it once or twice.

Please note: this thread is NOT for bashing albums. If you dislike an album, please discuss why and in what way you would go about improving it. Essentially: constructive criticism ONLY.

Boy
This is one of the few records I would not touch. How many debut albums are this vital, influential, and consistently refreshing? The songs are great, and I really can't think of too many b-sides I would add in. I'm all for sprawl, but I love how tight this record is. It takes me by surprise with every listen.

October
On a base level, I feel this is U2's most obviously botched album. It was rushed, poorly thought out, and leaves me unsatisfied most of the time. The production and sequencing are OK (outside of Fire--->Tomorrow and Scarlet--->Is That All, which are simply horrible segues), but it's hard to ignore the unfinished arrangements and lackluster lyrics.

War
Another one that I feel is generally perfect. The sequencing makes the album feel a bit top-heavy in the area of rockers, but the production sounds great and, based on the b-sides and demos available, there's not much I'd add or subtract. Very good album.

The Unforgettable Fire
Like Pop, it's easy to appreciate this album for what it is, obvious flaws and all, but yes, there are flaws. After a superb, coherent first half, this album flails in the second half thanks to horrific sequencing (Bad--->Indian Summer Sky--->Elvis--->MLK??? Ugh...) and poor song choices. 4th Of July is arguably the worst instrumental U2 made during that period, so why is it here? Where is Love Comes Tumbling? Why is EPAA 6.5 minutes long, though it's essentially the same thing over and over? ISS could be placed just about anywhere else on the album and be more effective, and MLK shouldn't be its own track; it should be used as an intro for another one. UF is a mess, but it's a fascinating mess.

The Joshua Tree
Pretty much perfect. I even like the sequencing.

Rattle And Hum
Basically, this album should have been treated as a proper album instead of a soundtrack to a film. The live songs ruin the flow and negate the musical theme running through the new songs. The production is very good though, and they did the best they could with the sequencing; it was bound to be terrible no matter what they did.

Achtung Baby
Production-wise, this album is a travesty. When you can barely hear the most interesting thing about the album musically (the guitar), you know something has gone horribly wrong. The album sounds muddy and the mixing is awful. All reports we have show that this area of the album was largely cobbled together at the last minute. However, on a base level (the songwriting, performances, etc) I feel this album is pretty much perfect. It's very well thought out, sequenced, and loaded with great songs. The b-sides were wisely left as b-sides. It's a shame that, though the least important part was botched, it was still botched.

Zooropa
Another album I'm pretty sure is about as good as it was going to get. Waiting a couple more years to release this could have made the album stranger, but not necessarily better.

Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1
Outside of a meandering second half (that fails to cohere with the first) they did a great job with this one. The first half is a brilliant suite of songs that has largely gone unmatched in U2's catalogue in the areas of creativity and atmosphere. I sort of have the same complaints I did with UF, but there isn't any evidence to suggest that the best songs were left off the album.

Pop
I am tempted to consider this one "perfectly imperfect", as I love it just the way it is, but it's still imperfect, and I'm curious to know how an extra month of work could have improved these songs. The sequencing is OK, and the production is fascinating, but a few songs could use stronger arrangements.

All That You Can't Leave Behind
Definitely flawed. From the get go, the sequencing is terrible. It's always a bad sign when all of the hits are right in the front and they're all of different tempos. The second half coheres OK, but by then the damage is done. Terrible. Also, the production simply does not work on many occasions. Songs like Elevation need to sound rough, not set for Girls Aloud to harmonize over. Thankfully, intriguing quirks such as Edge's guitar noodling in Peace On Earth and New York make those songs more fascinating than they would be otherwise.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
I feel that this record is about as polished as it's going to get, but that's part of the problem. ATYCLB was meant to be a set of great pop songs. This album doesn't have any particular musical theme, so I am of the opinion that they should have gone for sprawl and unloaded those demos from the previous sessions onto this one. It could have been brilliant. As it is, it's a very strong, yet somehow uninteresting set that was recorded far too loudly. Smile, Love You Like Mad, Are You Gonna Wait Forever, Fast Cars, Mercy and a couple of those alternate versions could have made this album so much stronger.

So, at the moment, the U2 albums I wouldn't attempt to fix are:

Boy
War
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Passengers

Achtung Baby is perfect how it is, even the production. It sounds very analogue, while still sounding very modern at the same time. On the other hang you have ATYCLB that sounds very digital. I love the songwriting on ATYCLB, but needs work on production and sequencing.

As it is, it's a very strong, yet somehow uninteresting set that was recorded far too loudly.

Agree with this 100%

Personally, I think you've been a bit harsh, but agree with you in most areas there... though my ears don't hear this production stuff. The only difference I can tell is that Hutdab is a shitload louder than all the other albums. (I can't hear the difference between JT and JT remastered, apart from MOTD at the end and Exit being fractionally louder).

Ooh, great thread LemonMelon. :up:

Here we go:

Boy
It is in my opinion one of best debuts ever. It is by far the band's most complete album. My one knock on it if we are splitting hairs is that I would have changed the beginning. I really don't get interested until An Cat Dubh. I like I Will Follow and Twilight but they bring into the world of Boy but An Cat Dubh does. Not truly complete.

October
Same problem. I don't get involved until I Fall Down. More than anything it just feel incomplete to me because it could have been so etheral like TUF.

War
The band finally gets me into the album's world by the first track. However, the mini 40 brings the whole thing to an uncomfortable end. By in all honesty it doesn't feel complete to me when Red Light and mini 40 make it above Treasure, Be There and Angels Tied To The Ground. You might ask why I would say the latter. Well it is because anything is better than Red Light and mini 40. :wink:

TUF
The band's best track order. However it doesn't feel complete with all the great b-sides that were left off.

I'll continue with the rest of the albums in a second. My hands need a break. :wink:

TJT
Great album and one of my all time favorites. Just like TUF they left off too many great songs. It doesn't feel complete because it sounds like it should have been a double album. Though this a predictable response from me as I think Walk To The Water is the greatest song ever written. :wink:

R&H
Mixing live tracks and new tracks is not a good combination if you are going for a complete album.

AB
This album is such a disappointment compared to the awesomeness of the Salome bootleg.

Zooropa
The Wanderer ruins any attempt at a complete album. It just doesn't with the rest of the album. Neither does The First Time.

Passengers
Elvis Ate America 'nuff said. :wink:

Pop
Actually I think it is U2's only complete album. The song quality though keeps it from being a truly great album though.

ATYCLB
The tracklisting is terrible. The ending in particular is just horrific. Grace is so dead.

Bomb
Bad production. Bad songs. Lack of a good opener and closer. The whole thing sounds like it was half assed. U2's least complete album.

So in conclusion Pop is U2's only truly complete album.

I am pretty much of the opinion that every U2 album can be improved. Whether I would go as far as calling some "incomplete" is another thing entirely, but U2 have, I think, quite clearly demonstrated over the last 30 years that they are a poor judge of their own work, both in terms of track selection and sequencing. Others here doubtlessly disagree, but really all I have to do to provide a strong example in favour of my argument is to point towards The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling languishing on Wide Awake In America rather than being well-known Unforgettable Fire album tracks.

Anyway, album-by-album:

Boy
My only substantial problem with this album is the omission of 11 O'clock Tick Tock. It could be very effectively inserted between The Electric Co. and Shadows And Tall Trees. I am also not entirely convinced that The Ocean's position in the tracklisting is optimal; I doubt many would shed a tear if it had been relegated to b-side status either. My own personal tastes suggest The Dream Is Over and Lost On A Silent Planet would have been sweet contenders for the album too, but that's just me.

October
This is a bit of a mess, for sure. I love the album, but more as a collection of songs than as an album, and given the circumstances, I don't see how you are really meant to turn this into a cohesive album. I suppose that in terms of making the best of what you've got, Scarlet should be the closer (with Is That All? relegated to being a b-side), and October moved to precede rather than succeed Tomorrow. Wedging October between the rocking end of Tomorrow and With A Shout is just baffling, especially as it segues well into the quiet first half of Tomorrow.

War
I would have thought discarding Red Light in favour of Treasure would go without saying. Treasure is great, seemingly spontaneous outpouring of emotion from Bono backed by some solid, energetic music, and I think it has a place on the album while Red Light is simply early eighties garbage that we're all better off forgetting. The sequencing could also use some work, just because wedging something as beautiful as Drowning Man between two drum-heavy, fiery political rockers feels just a bit "off". So, I'd suggest that War would sound even more like a complete album if you moved Drowning Man to precede New Year's Day and put Treasure in Red Light's place.

The Unforgettable Fire
Well, my fondness for this album is I suppose somewhat legendary around these parts - and yet I think it is quite noticeably incomplete and the band made some utterly baffling decisions with the tracklisting. Why is 4th Of July here rather than Bass Trap when the latter is, by just about any measure, about 10,000 times superior? The sequencing of the second half needs substantial work. MLK is UF's intro, not an independent track. The WAIA tracks. Etc., etc. I think if you bump Indian Summer Sky into the first half and pair it with Wire, use Bass Trap to link Promenade and Bad, and bring songs like Love Comes Tumbling and Boomerang II into the second half, you have something even more classic than what we already have (though I do not have a precise tracklist to suggest right now). And this is saying something, since I consider UF to be the best album anybody's ever made as it already stands.

The Joshua Tree
As it stands, it's a masterpiece. Like UF, however, I think you can do some more and make it an even greater masterpiece. Three things come to mind. Firstly, With Or Without You needs the Shine Like Stars verse. Secondly, the two album-quality b-sides of Luminous Times and Spanish Eyes should be on the album while the glaring b-side, Trip Through Your Wires, should go. Thirdly, the middle of the tracklist should be re-ordered. Keep the "holy trinity" at the start and the "suite of death" at the end intact. However, after WOWY, I would suggest Luminous Times / Spanish Eyes / In God's Country / Bullet The Blue Sky / Running To Stand Still / Red Hill Mining Town, then the Suite to close. Red Hill Mining Town into One Tree Hill is quite incredible.

Rattle And Hum
If any album deserves the title of "incomplete", it's this one - partly because it's not an album! I agree that it should have been treated simply as a studio album. I'd have no problem with a live-only album called Rattle And Hum accompanying the movie, then a bit later a differently titled album (my own playlists are entitled Dawn Changes Everything) with solely studio material. They had plenty of material besides the nine tracks on RAH, so it wouldn't be hard to put together an incredibly competent studio album that I imagine would rank in the top five for most people here.

Achtung Baby
I've just spent so much time going over tracklisting issues in the eighties that I'll leave that aside entirely here; my alternate Achtung is fairly well known and somewhat controversial anyway. Instead, the production. It's simply not very good. It's not that the band's using old technology or anything, it's that in many cases, Edge's guitar is horribly low in the mix. It pretty much disappears in parts of Zoo Station, for example, and something closer to the tone used live would serve Mysterious Ways better. And I needn't even write anything about how UTEOTW falls over at the final hurdle. One needs the "do you hear us coming?" verse to really reach a proper conclusion rather than just fading away into bland ooo-ooos from Bono, but I don't think that existed until March 1992, so there's a bit of a problem there.

Zooropa
I think the band were probably on the money with their initial EP idea. If it's left as an album, I can't say I question their choices that much, really. Dirty Day obviously needs a better vocal take. Almost nobody would miss Babyface, but when you only have ten tracks, it's a bit hard to cut things. I do wish In Cold Blood had been turned into a proper album track, but I'm not sure it would mesh with much of what's on the album outside of Numb and The Wanderer.

Passengers
This is pretty close to ideal, really. All I'd do is ditch Elvis Ate America, the worst U2-associated track ever released. Not only is it a shockingly bad song in and of itself, but it completely breaks up the flow of the second half. Its removal allows the second half to flow quite cohesively.

Pop
My main quibbles with the Pop era have more to do with the order of singles releases rather than the album. The one big change I'd make is ditching Miami and Playboy Mansion while bringing in North And South Of The River, and there is certainly room for some improved arrangements on some tracks. For all the talk of recording and production being rushed, songs like Wake Up Dead Man are stunningly well executed.

All That You Can't Leave Behind
Should I even touch this? I hate this album. The production is terrible; songs like Stuck In A Moment seem stripped of all sincerity just for the benefit of whoring it out to radio. Whatever the case, The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Summer Rain always should have been on the album and In A Little While never should have been released.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Firstly, louder is not better. Tone back on the ear-piercing, suffocating production. Songs like City Of Blinding Lights need room to breathe if they're ever going to be halfway epic. Also, I think my point about the band being poor judges of their own material is illustrated by some omissions here: ABOY losing the quality lyrics of the alternate version, Vertigo in place of Native Son, and Smile and Fast Cars being nowhere to be found while the overly sweet pop of OOTS and cheesy theological mundanity of Yahweh are on the album.

Phew, I think I'm done.

Agree with this 100%

Personally, I think you've been a bit harsh, but agree with you in most areas there... though my ears don't hear this production stuff. The only difference I can tell is that Hutdab is a shitload louder than all the other albums. (I can't hear the difference between JT and JT remastered, apart from MOTD at the end and Exit being fractionally louder).

I agree with COBL on this one, I really don't have an ear for production, but I can agree with you on one thing you've said (I'll post more thoughts later) ATYCLB made a huge mistake putting all the singles in the beginning. I don't even know what they were thinking when that one happened.

My main quibbles with the Pop era have more to do with the order of singles releases rather than the album.

I agree with this completely. IMO, the order should have been:

1. Gone (March 1997) - Imagine this as your comeback single? It's beloved within the fanbase and definitely rocks.
2. Staring At The Sun (July 1997) - The perfect summer anthem, no doubt.
3. If God Will Send His Angels (December 1997) - A great, sarcastic track for the holidays.
4. Please (February 1998) - A perfectly dark track for the dead of winter.
5. Discotheque (May 1998) - Revive interest in the album with a great dance track and a goofy video for the fans.
6. Do You Feel Loved (July 1998) - Close things out with a song exclusively for the clubs.

1. Gone (March 1997) - Imagine this as your comeback single? It's beloved within the fanbase and definitely rocks.
3. If God Will Send His Angels (December 1997) - A great, sarcastic track for the holidays.
5. Discotheque (May 1998) - Revive interest in the album with a great dance track and a goofy video for the fans.
6. Do You Feel Loved (July 1998) - Close things out with a song exclusively for the clubs.

I agree with this for the most part, but it's a lot easier in retrospect. And I do think Last Night on Earth should still have been a single in there somewhere. Or they should have just saved Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me for Pop, had that as its lead single and probably have the whole world going ga-ga over Pop.

I agree with this for the most part, but it's a lot easier in retrospect. And I do think Last Night on Earth should still have been a single in there somewhere. Or they should have just saved Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me for Pop, had that as its lead single and probably have the whole world going ga-ga over Pop.

:hmm: Perhaps LNOE could fit in between Staring At The Sun and Angels. That is a rather large gap between singles to U2 standards.

You know everybody keeps complaining that the guitars are buried in Achtung Baby and that this is bad production. But I seem to remember Edge commenting that they were buried on purpose and that the muddiness of the mix was a deliberate part of the songs. I think he also said that the guitar being more prominent live is because that muddiness they went for on the album is not what would work in a live performance. All the comments I've seen from the band refute the idea that production was a problem. Since the whole idea was not to sound like U2 having Edge's guitar forward in the mix wouldn't make much sense.

Dana

You know everybody keeps complaining that the guitars are buried in Achtung Baby and that this is bad production. But I seem to remember Edge commenting that they were buried on purpose and that the muddiness of the mix was a deliberate part of the songs. I think he also said that the guitar being more prominent live is because that muddiness they went for on the album is not what would work in a live performance. All the comments I've seen from the band refute the idea that production was a problem. Since the whole idea was not to sound like U2 having Edge's guitar forward in the mix wouldn't make much sense.

Dana

It honestly does not matter to me whether or not it was a deliberate. Playing against your strengths for the sake of it is generally a poor idea, and this is no exception.

achtung baby is perfect. nothing wrong with the Production.
10/10

Correct.

Production on recent albums, by contrast, has been really very bad.

I think the rot started with the 'Pop' album, although I quite like the songs.

Post-'Pop', it was all downhill.

Overproducing, trying to be something they're not, too many cooks spoil the broth, etc.

If Indian Summer Sky was replaced with another song, UF would be absolutely flawless. That album is the most singular of any of their albums in terms of songwriting and production. JT is pretty much perfect. So are AB and Zooropa. So basically UF to Zooropa I wouldn't change a thing. On either side of those I could change a few things.

It honestly does not matter to me whether or not it was a deliberate. Playing against your strengths for the sake of it is generally a poor idea, and this is no exception.

So I guess you would have preferred Joshua Tree II? The whole point was playing against their strengths because they wanted out of the box they were being put in. They wanted to show that the spirit of U2 was what was important, not a particular sound or image. It was risky, yes, but ultimately it was a huge success. I don't see how you can say it was a poor idea.

Dana

So I guess you would have preferred Joshua Tree II? The whole point was playing against their strengths because they wanted out of the box they were being put in. They wanted to show that the spirit of U2 was what was important, not a particular sound or image. It was risky, yes, but ultimately it was a huge success. I don't see how you can say it was a poor idea.

Dana

The songs should be what challenge listeners, not the production quality.

In A Little While never should have been released.

icon37.gif

Yes...it should have.

Great post, Axver. I'll have to throw in my thoughts soon, too.

Thanks. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Yeah, I largely agree with this sequence. I have always thought that Gone should have been the lead single. It would have been ideal - it's not stereotypical U2 and shows some of the album's direction well, but it's accessible and rockin' enough not to push away casual fans or long-term fans fearful of change.

Not so sure about IGWSHA as a single though. I think LNOE would work much better, and bring the rock between SATS and Please. I'd bring the singles closer, too. SATS in May or early June in time to really settle in for the Northern summer, LNOE in October in time for Popmart's third leg, Please in December or January for the Northern winter, and Discotheque and DYFL as you suggest.

Well, it's nice to think about what might have been, anyway ... :sigh:

icon37.gif

Yes...it should have.

Yeah, ignore the substance of the post. You do that.

To me, Boy and UF (and maybe HTDAAB) feel like the closest U2 ever got to making a "complete" album. In general I find that their albums suffer from drops of quality between the best and the rest, and more often than not their great and not-so-great material runs in clusters. For example POP for me is ruined by the Miami/Playboy Mansion/If You Wear That Velvet Dress; ATYCLB runs out of steam somewhat with the last four songs; First Time is the only song that saves the second half of Zooropa; Achtung Baby starts off great but UTEOTW/Who's Gonna Ride.../So Cruel run bores me to tears; JT's second half is not anywhere as good as the first.

Perfect ? JT and AB.

Boy: good debut, nice production - but you can tell U2 was still learning and had room to improve songwriting-wise.

October: the first of the imperfect releases - whether it's the missing lyrics, or the fast recording, this just doesn't have the charm of Boy nor the quality of War, though Gloria hinted the way it could have been done. Is that all ? Worst closer ever.

War: the first step up in quality, song-wise and album-wise. The only comment is the second half could have been better and first classic closer with 40.

UF: it's hard to rate this one because it's such a transition record. Probably the first "album" experience, and one of the most pleasurable to listen to. Wish they'd put Love comes tumbling and Three sunrises instead of that instrumental and Elvis Presley and America, so something else beside Bad and the closer would hold up the second half. I wonder what they do with it if they had the experince they had when making JT.

JT: perfect. Love the songs, the theme, the production. Only thing I'd change is swap Trip for Heartland. The band at the peak of its powers, especially when you consider they made the best B-sides of their career.

Rattle and Hum: the second imperfection. A tour quick album, a mess of studio/live takes. Would improve considerably if they had dumped the live stuff and included She's a mystery to me and Slow dancing.

AB: second perfect record. For me, the most complete album experience. The lyrics, the sound - it all works for the big theme. I'd still take JT over it because the first half is stronger, also because I feel the real stroke of genius in this era was the tour.

Zooropa: unlike that other tour album, this is a more cohesive whole. Another one I like to listen to, though I feel that Stay and First time tower over all other songs. Wish HMTMKMKM had made the cut. One of their best songs in that decade, and easily the best single. Some days are better... aside, the last album where Bono was really good throughout the album with his lyrics.

Pop: the third imperfection (is that a trend ? a weaker effort at the end of the decade ? look out LP12...). I tried to like this one and I will always defend Gone, SATS, Please and IYWTVD - but it's not happening. Long and bloated, like Rattle and Hum. The thing I dislike the most if the production and in particular the sound of Edge's guitar - Dallas Schoo, tsk tsk. Secondly, at least something resembling a unifying sound, not a mess of a) dance, b) rock, c) other songs. Thirdly, a more solid opening and not waiting for good songs until track 5. And lastly, Bono just sounds so...lethargic in this one - and why wasn't North and South of the river allowed on this album instead of say, Miami ?

ATYCLB: the comeback album. The thing with song collections is the songs had better be good. The first half is probably their strongest after JT and War. But after IALW, it goes downhill, and the change of atmosphere from Wild Honey - POE is something this never really recovers from. New York tries but it's not enough to save this album, and Grace is a boring closer. Levitate and GBHF would improve this album (well said Bono).

Bomb: that's how a good song collection is done. It's imperfectly produced (ie loud, but all recent albums are). Maybe not a unifiying theme, but the unity comes from the record bringing up moments from U2's past. Bono's voice was praised, but for me the stand out member is Edge on this one (in the continuing hit and miss Bono lyrics). The glitch is AMAAW - half acoustic songs surrounded by guitar sounds all around. The first half may not be as good as U2 has seen in the past (still Sometimes and COBL are good to hear by track 5), record peaks at no. 5, falters a little at track 7 (most U2 albums do right around that spot), but improves considerably in tracks 8-11, especially in comparison to ATYCLB.

hmm

to be honest
I don't think I could improve on any of the albums
not because the're not imperfect, cause they all are
but because whenever I try to:
- change sequence: seems to cause problems elsewhere in the tracklist
- add b-sides (and the entire Unforgettable Fire - R&H period gave us some incredible b-sides): ends up making it sound either less coherent or too much of the same style of songs
- imagine production changes: too tricky to even imagine - I can tell what I don't like but can never come up with a simple solution to change it while not jeapordising other elements that make a song or an album work

in the end what would always save an album is more great songs that fit the general and add a little something to other songs by small contrast
:up:

:D

- add b-sides (and the entire Unforgettable Fire - R&H period gave us some incredible b-sides): ends up making it sound either less coherent or too much of the same style of songs
- imagine production changes

exactly why i've never tried!!

Remember too people, it is pretty hard to make a flawless album. I've certainly never heard one. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd comes closest for me.

I thought he production on AB was great. But then, I do own the japanese version which is supposed to be somewhat clearer.

Back
Top Bottom