How many shows would U2 have to do to meet the demand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sad Punk said:
I thought this thread was "How many shows would U2 have to do to meet the damned?".

Now I'm wondering why it isn't!

Only one if they play a setlist of Red Light/4th Of July/Miami/Love Rescue Me/Babyface/Stuck In A Moment. Anybody in attendance would be damned by its craptasticness.

You take Babyface out of there and add that Anthem of Eternal Hell known as One instead and we've got a deal.

ps it's my birthday
happy10.gif

"We're one but we're not the same/We get to carry each other, carry each other through the doors of Hell." There, done!

And happy birthday. I'll get U2 to play Boy or October in its entirety for you or something like that. Complete with an encore of Red Hill Canary Town.

Lol they could be touring forever i guess..

But i still want U2 to pay more attention to europe, europe should get 2 legs next tour equal to the US.

:hmm:

well... they sold out 8 shows at MSG and 2 at continental for Vertigo... and all the shows were sold out quite quickly.

how many could they do to meet the full demand? i suppose it all depends on how well the new album does... i mean springsteen on the rising tour sold out 10 shows at giants stadium. on this tour he's got 3 shows at giants stadium and you can still get some upper row 300 level seats. near sell outs, yes... but not like the success of the 10 show run on the rising tour.

if the album is succesful, i would imagine they could do at least 15 arena shows in the NYC area (manhattan, jersey, long island) and sell every one out, give or take.

schnumi said:
Lol they could be touring forever i guess..

But i still want U2 to pay more attention to europe, europe should get 2 legs next tour equal to the US.

while the number of shows was obviously greater in the US than it was in europe, the actuall number of people who saw u2 play was pretty much the same in europe as it was in the US, due to them playing stadiums as opposed to arenas.

Instead of two legs (yeah right!), just explore Europe on the east and south.

U2girl said:
Instead of two legs (yeah right!), just explore Europe on the east and south.

Which eastern and southern European countries do you think have strong markets for U2? Would places like Romania, Bulgaria, and Croatia be viable? I can't say I'm terribly familiar with how strong the live music markets are in some countries in that part of the world, though I know some of the rather obscure bands I follow who can't even afford to come to Australia have successfully toured eastern Europe.

Out of countries U2 have already played, I expect Poland will be done on all future tours and should get more than one show, while I'm surprised they haven't yet returned to the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Greece.

And I still can't believe they've never once played Russia or a Baltic state. Russia's a huge market and I know the Baltic states are doing pretty well for themselves.

And getting a bit into Asia - no Turkey gigs ever?! No return to Israel?

No shows in Saudi Arabia? :wink:

Axver said:

Which eastern and southern European countries do you think have strong markets for U2? Would places like Romania, Bulgaria, and Croatia be viable? I can't say I'm terribly familiar with how strong the live music markets are in some countries in that part of the world, though I know some of the rather obscure bands I follow who can't even afford to come to Australia have successfully toured eastern Europe.

Out of countries U2 have already played, I expect Poland will be done on all future tours and should get more than one show, while I'm surprised they haven't yet returned to the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Greece.

And I still can't believe they've never once played Russia or a Baltic state. Russia's a huge market and I know the Baltic states are doing pretty well for themselves.

And getting a bit into Asia - no Turkey gigs ever?! No return to Israel?

No shows in Saudi Arabia? :wink:

:hmm: Well, speaking for ex-Yugoslavia I'd say Serbia and Croatia have a chance (being the biggest teritorries). Both Belgrade and Zagreb have hosted famous bands and I think they could sell out a stadium show.
That said I'm amazed Sarajevo isn't a regular stop on U2's tours after Popmart.

I doubt Romania and Bolgaria are doable, I guess Poland and Czech Republic are the only ones relatively sure to get a U2 show in these parts.

Definitely, it's Asia's turn even if that means just playing Moscow or rich places like Hong Kong.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

while the number of shows was obviously greater in the US than it was in europe, the actuall number of people who saw u2 play was pretty much the same in europe as it was in the US, due to them playing stadiums as opposed to arenas.

VERTIGO TOUR: Arena tour North America
SHOWS: 78
ATTENDANCE: 1,436,084

VERTIGO TOUR: Stadium tour Europe
SHOWS: 32
ATTENDANCE: 1,982,458

The number of people who saw U2 in Europe on the last tour was actually 40% higher than in North America(USA+Canada).

lov12113 said:
As far as demand in the U.S. goes for U2 concerts (assuming tickets are priced similarly to Vertigo tour):

U2 has built up enough demand in the USA to play several large arena shows (15-20k occupancy) in large cities like L.A., Chicago, New York, Boston, etc. In cities like New York, Chicago, L.A., U2 can easily do 5+ total arena shows per tour, which is about 80-100k total attendance in those cities. This means that in those cities, U2 could probably get away with doing 1-2 stadium shows, if they ever attempt stadium shows in the USA again. However, stadium shows in most other U.S. cities would be impractical, as U2 usually play 1-2 arena shows in most other cities (Like Dallas, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Seattle, etc).

I doubt U2 will try stadiums again in the USA since the popmart tour left many shows half empty. It would sure be awesome if they did though!

U2 did 10 shows in the New York area on the last tour and 6 shows in the LA and Chicago areas. Boston got 7 shows. Philly and DC got 4 and 2 shows respectively, but each could have soldout another two.

I'd say U2 might be ready to return to stadiums in North America based on the results of the last tour. If they do, you should expect a very different pricing for the tickets where the GA price becomes the mid-level price and the high end and low end ticket prices are very close to the GA price.

If the new album sales as well and as fast as HTDAAB did, then I think they will go all stadiums for the next tour.

Well if the reports from the UK papers are true U2 will pay 25 shows at O2 arena (20,000) seater Stadium on their next tour!

Back
Top Bottom