How many of you can't get 404 out of your head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2freakboy

War Child
I heard 404 for the first time just a week ago, and I already believe it will go down as one of the U2 classics. The chorus, whether he's saying "the moment I live" or "the moment I'm in," is simply awesome. It absolutely soars. And, the last 45 seconds of the song, with the classic Bono "whoohhhs," reminds me of "Pride" and "With or Without You." Some have said the song still needs work, and while it may need some tweaking, I think it could go on radio as is and be a big hit. There's a reason, out of all the beach clips, it got the biggest reaction from the people listening on the beach.

I was walking along the street the other day and suddenly realised I was singing it....

What about Edge's solo during the middle of the song, to me it sounds like towards the end the arse is about to fall out.
Plus Larry's durms sound unsure say compared to 402 where they
sound almost complete.

No i'm not knocking U2 and yes these opinions are based on
beach recordings. Who knows what the final release will sound
like! It may not be released. Hope it is
:mad:

It's ok. I'm having a hard time making up my mind on the chorus. It's really catchy, but it seems pretty generic to me (the melody and the lyrics), probably as generic as anything they've ever released. I can't see it growing on me either, because it's so simple. I like the guitar solos alot at least.

I've had it stuck in my head all week. I wish we had a good quality version so I would at least know the words.

It seems ridiculous to be saying this about a beach clip, but it could become one of my favorite U2 songs ever.

Am I the only one (other than the people in the beach clip) who starts to jump up and down and clap when the chorus comes in right out of edge's first solo?

I tend to fantasize things as being a lot more over the top than would be realistic, but I'm gonna be honest and say that with the kind of show that U2's team is able to put on for us at concerts this song is going to be AMAZING live, there is so much potential for this song to have incredible energy.

I can't post the link yet. I don't have enough posts.

I think it's too early to say the chorus is too simplistic. We can't even understand what he's saying in parts of it. Also, some other huge U2 hits have had fairly simple lyrics in the chorus. "With or Without You" and "Beautiful Day" both come to mind.

Sounds like a really catchy tune. I just wish it was recorded in a studio the way it sounds now, I want hear that sort of raw U2 sound on the next record. Although I know it will be polished up to sound all nice and poppy. :eyebrow:

Now... if only I stay up all night to listen to this song, I might have the lyrics to half the song. :hmm:

very catchy indeed, def. will be a single.

after first impressions, i've settled that 402 is the best as well. 404 a close 2nd.

404 is great, but has even more potential. the lyrics are real simple by Bono and need some work. Like the chorus too, as poppy as it is.

Last edited:
Nah, I don't care much for 404. It sounds just like a basic U2 song, not much more.

402 is where it's at! :rockon:

LemonMelon said:
Nah, I don't care much for 404. It sounds just like a basic U2 song, not much more.

402 is where it's at! :rockon:

I think 402 is quite nice but there's just no excuse for the Dirty Day guitar part.

U2freakboy said:
I can't post the link yet. I don't have enough posts.

I think it's too early to say the chorus is too simplistic. We can't even understand what he's saying in parts of it. Also, some other huge U2 hits have had fairly simple lyrics in the chorus. "With or Without You" and "Beautiful Day" both come to mind.

True, but those chorus lyrics weren't as cliche' as this. "All my life I've been waiting for this moment," or whatever are just about the most generic rock/pop lyrics I could think up.

I do like 402 as well, just not quite as well as 404. It's safe to say their final versions will both be very good songs.

It's ok but the chorus reminds me of (only UK people will know this) the song that Michelle McManus did after she won pop idol a couple of years ago - "all this time" or some such rubbish......

Back
Top Bottom