How many more albums left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azraelsevaen

The Fly
Just wondering out loud. I think I remember the last time U2 re-upped their recording contract, it was 1992, and right after they released Zooropa. So at the time it was the biggest recording contract, something like six albums for $70 million, until, I think that looney twit Mariah Carey suckered some knob to pay her $80 million for seven albums. (Can anyone say "Glitter.")

So, by my count -- and we know the Best Of's are not part of the new album contract -- U2 has put out: zooropa, the Passengers album (which I think counts toward their album commitment, though maybe not), Pop, ATYCLB and now HTDAAB. So they, presumably, have one or two albums left, depening on how you count Passengers.

If that's the case, I hope they have enough steam to fulfill the order, because -- and this is a tifle point, I know -- when I read that City of Blinding Lights was a song that had been kicking around since the days of POP, it makes me wonder whether they still have the time/inspiration/dedication/drive to do what they used to do: sequester themselves in Berlin or the Southwest American desert or wherever and come up with new material that inspired them.

Just seems odd that a song that was toyed with like eight years ago would make it on the album. You figure they had moved beyond it, whatever inspiration they were on about back then. Is there a dearth of fresh ideas?

Well, despite my rhetorical masturbation here, I do think the song is excellent. Simply the best since Gone, if not the AB era. So, in that respect, makes me wonder how much it changed or if in its previous incarnation during the POP sessions it was deemed too U2-like and trashed. And for whatever reason, trashed again during the ATYCLB sessions.

But you know what they say. You can lead a horse to water, but that doesn't make it a duck.

I think there will be one more. Thats been my gut feeling since ATYCLB was released. Bono seemed to be setting the stage for it when he kept mentioning two crap albums and we're done. That always made me think that if the critics panned the next two it would give them a nice excuse to be done.

When you figure that they tend to make albums in groups of three thematically, the last trilogy ended at Pop. The new one began with ATYCLB. It just seems to work out to me. They'll be close to 50 by the time they release the next one if they continue on their current pace. Anyway, thats my feeling on things though I'd like them to make music forever.

i wouldn't rad too much into the song idea being around since POP, it seems like they always carry over ideas and thoughts at least since Achtung Baby. Does it really matter if they carry over ideas from the past few years, when they keep coming out as great finished songs in the end? Just because it was an idea back then doesn't mean it sounds anything like it did. Its not like the wrote the finished song 8 years ago and its been sitting on the shelf since then. I don't thin you have to worry about them running out of ideas, at least from what i have heard so far

This is a horrific topic I don't want to even think such incomprehensible thoughts! No more U2 albums!! NEVER!

This is indeed a depressing topic. :wink:

That said, I think we're definately going to wait longer for the next album after the tour ends. They're getting older, and therefore perhaps slowing down a bit.

one more album, i think...

i hope they end with a bang, an album that will be ever better than this one....

2008? 2009? maybe...lets pray for another Zooropa in the middle of the tour!!!

discothequeLP said:
one more album, i think...

i hope they end with a bang, an album that will be ever better than this one....

2008? 2009? maybe...lets pray for another Zooropa in the middle of the tour!!!

Another Zooropa would be great. I think they should reserve just a week or two in the studio in the middle of the tour and pound out ten or so raw, rock songs. No overdubs, no extra mixes. Basically live, but in the studio. It seems that U2 has to overdue everything now, what happened to sponteneity?

usually recording contracts DO include best ofs as albums because at the end of a band's career, it usually tends to sell the most

that being said, i have a feeling they'll do one quick album after this one, and then a final one by 2010, and then *maybe* a live album, and then finally the best of 2000-2010

Bono started talking about two crap albums after Pop. I always thought he meant like two in a row like Zooropa (which wasn't a crowd pleaser) but Pop wasn't crap. I thought it was his way of defending Pop. I don't think the critics or fans disliked ATYCLB and so far no critics dislike HTDAAB. Therefore, I would think that they still haven't hit the two crap albums in a row. The last crap album was Zooropa so they are safe for a little while.

I think they have one more obligation although don't quote me on that. However, I think it will continue to slow down where the next album may take five years or more to make and then they'll fade a little except for the last Best of that they'll end up releasing.

Hey as much as I love them they will only be out and about for so long. Bono will continue to be in the media I am sure of that.

youtwohearts said:
Bono started talking about two crap albums after Pop. I always thought he meant like two in a row like Zooropa (which wasn't a crowd pleaser) but Pop wasn't crap. I thought it was his way of defending Pop. I don't think the critics or fans disliked ATYCLB and so far no critics dislike HTDAAB. Therefore, I would think that they still haven't hit the two crap albums in a row. The last crap album was Zooropa so they are safe for a little while.

I think they have one more obligation although don't quote me on that. However, I think it will continue to slow down where the next album may take five years or more to make and then they'll fade a little except for the last Best of that they'll end up releasing.

Hey as much as I love them they will only be out and about for so long. Bono will continue to be in the media I am sure of that.

I have to disagree completely about Zooropa. I am almost 100% sure Bono did not mean Zooropa when talking about crap albums. Yeah, it wasn't the biggets seller, but it sold more than Pop and he has never talked badly about Zooropa. He has talked badly about Pop many times though. Pop is the crap album. Though I should mention that I like Pop and do not personally think it is crap.

U2 have taken longer to record albums also because they have families and kids. But as years pass and they will have older kids (for instance in a few years Bono's daughters will be at university!) they might have more time and not slow down on recording that bad.

voxson said:
U2 have taken longer to record albums also because they have families and kids. But as years pass and they will have older kids (for instance in a few years Bono's daughters will be at university!) they might have more time and not slow down on recording that bad.

longer tours also have contributed to that, and larry & adam training in new york for a year as well

Well They have a deal for 3 best of albums.... So we at least know that their going to crank out some more work to fill up best of 2000-2010. Then maybe a world tour.... (Zoo TV 2????) Then call it quits. Hopefully I'm wrong but.... its a possibility

Zooropa & Pop crap albums, Jesus they are GREAT albums especially POP. Zooropa is a little rushed but still has some really great tracks on it. And lets put this to bed now, POP is probably the joint 2nd best album they have done with The Joshua Tree, and of course Achtung Baby no.1!!!!!!

I don't think U2 will ever offically retire or say "THis is the FINAL record" I think they will continue to do stuff for years to come but it will just be a lot of time in between. If they've been together this long it's in their blood and I think they'lll find it hard to stop.

yeah its true, in a recent interview (CD:UK one? not sure), Bono was like we will never split up, call it quits, will eventually end up spending less time recording, but they'll always be together

The 6 album deal that the band signed was done back in 1993. ZOOROPA finished off the deal before that and is not included in the 6 album deal. The first album to fullfill the 6 album deal is POP. With ATYCLB and HTDAATB, the band has fullfilled half of their 6 album contract. The Greatest Hits album deal was a seperate deal for 3 Best ofs.

So the band has 3 more studio albums of new material left in their contract. This does not mean they have to record 3 studio albums of new material as they can stop at any time. But the band is bound to this contract and cannot sign another contract with another record company unless this is renegotiated.

Here is my prediction. Just a fun prediction!

They well do a huge tour for HTDAAB and then we will probably not hear much of them for a couple of years.

In 2009 they will release their final studio album. and it could be called something like these titles.

"TFSIE" - The final steps in evolution

or

"ROABJ" - Reflections of a beautifall journy

or simply

"U2" they never yet had a self titled album but there is a first time for everything.

This album will probably contain hard rocking songs as well as beautifall ballads and could reflect the almost 30 years of U2 music. It would be even bigger then HTDAAB and could be an album that great grandchildren still listen to!

After that maybe I think in about 2012 they will release their best of 2000-2010 and then we may get the odd shows from them and apearences but I really don't think they will go beyond 2010 for writing more albums. Remember U2 wants to leave with a bang not to keep writing albums until people get board of them. So I do think there next album whatever it may be called could be their last.

Nico

bsp77 said:

I have to disagree completely about Zooropa. I am almost 100% sure Bono did not mean Zooropa when talking about crap albums. Yeah, it wasn't the biggets seller, but it sold more than Pop and he has never talked badly about Zooropa. He has talked badly about Pop many times though. Pop is the crap album. Though I should mention that I like Pop and do not personally think it is crap.

yes, pop was the crap album he meant...it has moments but it was such a disappointing record for me...zooropa oozes with class...i was going through a tough time and pop made it even tougher...u2 went out into the wilderness for me after that...atyclb was just ok too...but i was more pumped for the elevation tour which brought me right back to u2...from what i have heard from this album i am more pumped than ever...it gives me the feeling i had when Achtung came out...not that the songs so far remind me of Achtung...they don't...but i feel a real gem is going to land in our cd players come november 22nd...

Frank Sinatra made it to 80. Maybe U2 aren't even half way through their career yet. And the man with the heavy job still looks like a teenager.:wink:

Lisa71 said:
I don't think U2 will ever offically retire or say "THis is the FINAL record" I think they will continue to do stuff for years to come but it will just be a lot of time in between. If they've been together this long it's in their blood and I think they'lll find it hard to stop.

I wholeheartedly agree. U2 are unlikely to call it quits because music is their PASSION. They will keep creating music as long as they have creativity (and who says that dies with age?) and it is up to their high standards. Remember, they have quality control: Edge is a perfectionist, and Larry would walk if they were churning out crap. They may not record or perform as much, but I cannot see U2 releasing a "final album" or playing a "final tour."

Also, I say we have two more albums to come this decade.

I think the last album would be when the first one dies. It's a sad thing but it will happen one day, hopefully after many many years, and U2 would definitely stop (unlike other bands that cuold even replace members).

This will be U2's last major tour. They will do a small tour for the next album, then that's it for U2's touring career. They may or may not release another album after that, but it will not be toured.

What an awful thought!

I don't care if the only zipping around Bono can onstage is with a electric wheelchair....I can't imagine there not being anymore U2! The boys aren't even "old" yet....they've got plenty left in them still... :sad:

*self-image of Bono onstage in an electric wheelchair is cracking me up....he'd pimp that thing out for sure...hopefully he wouldn't take a spill off stage like he's known to do though...*

starsgoblue said:
What an awful thought!

I don't care if the only zipping around Bono can onstage is with a electric wheelchair....I can't imagine there not being anymore U2! The boys aren't even "old" yet....they've got plenty left in them still... :sad:

*self-image of Bono onstage in an electric wheelchair is cracking me up....he'd pimp that thing out for sure...hopefully he wouldn't take a spill off stage like he's known to do though...*

Bono.... ON WHEELS!!!!

:evil:

I picture him rolling round the stage during Streets, like he ran on Elevation :lol: :lmao:

DiscoJokeX said:

I picture him rolling round the stage during Streets, like he ran on Elevation :lol: :lmao:

thats hilarious :lmao: I dont even want to think about this, we have this album and a huge tour and then another album and tour, then we need to start thinking about it. Until then, its too depressing. Anyway, I think its also based on the successes of the next two albums.

Seriously knowing Bono's antics...he'd get a jet pack on the thing and at the beginning of Streets sing, "I wanna roooolllllll" instead of "I wanna run" and kick that baby into gear! Geriatric Bono in concert...that'd be wonderful.

And at the end of The Fly....Bono can just wheel himself right into the wall!

(yes, I know there is a nice roasty spot reserved for me in hell)

Last edited:
It would be cool for there to be a quick album after the tour, but i think that's highly unlikely, I think U2 has don trilogies throughout their career: coming of age (boy, october, war), america (Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and hum), technology and the ninties (Achtung baby, zooropa, pop), and this one (Leave Behind, Bomb and ??? ), after that the third best of left pending in a contract somewhere, and after that who knows?

I love U2, but i don't know if i want to see bono and the edge duking it out on Until the end of the world when they're 70, like the rolling stones. I think they will stop before they become a long running joke.

Back
Top Bottom