How many bomb singles should b released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache

Acrobat
ABOY is the 4th
I think CFYT & OOTS are far better U2 songs even for the masses, wonder just how many are going to be released.

What do the single releases say about how good the album is.
Is POP (6) the best u2 album so far then?

Last edited:
timothius said:
As many as it takes to get LAPOE out. Even though they probably have missed their shot with that one.

It depends on whether they want a sudden boost in sales or not. I guess not.

Earnie Shavers said:

It depends on whether they want a sudden boost in sales or not. I guess not.

I think that the COBL & SYCMIO pairing has already done the damage personally.

I would have released it as the 3rd single with the mother of all live performances as the video. For some reason I think people would have really dug Bono's drumming and the whole band going ape-shit.

Who knows it could still work, but on a lesser extent.

Yep. In Australia it would have gone down a treat. For Australia it really should have been the first single, maybe 'snuck' out there a few weeks before Vertigo, kinda as a Triple J only release. Would have opened an entirely new market for the album (who probably would have then been disappointed, but hey, they've already bought the thing).

To go with it first would have put a whole new spin on this albums path. To go with it now would certainly give it a spike. It's wildly different to what people assume the album is. After Vertigo/SYCMIO/COBL & now ABOY everything is going to sound like "more of the same"..... except Love and Peace.

For a clip, I can't get past something anime style. I can just see a kid running away from an ever increasing threat. Somewhere between your average psycho anime film and Pearl Jams Evolution animated clip. Ever morphing and changing.

There's no doubt it would be a kick arse single in Australia.

I don't know about Australia, I was thinking US. Do the Australians respond more to the rocking U2 songs?

(they already did the Ipod ad with OOTS live performance...hint from the band on the new single? surely it wasn't just a promo for the DVD?)

I think going with the third rock song would really give the wrong impression on the album, also there's better songs on the album. They got the rock song, the ballad, the anthemic song, yet another rock song - now it's time for the pop/radio song.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I don't know about Australia, I was thinking US. Do the Australians respond more to the rocking U2 songs?

(they already did the Ipod ad with OOTS live performance...hint from the band on the new single? surely it wasn't just a promo for the DVD?)

Yep. Also why would they include it on the DVD and why would they play it at Milan and hardly anywhere else?

Miracle Drug or Original Of the Species would have been the finest last singles, just to leave a real good sign of the album.
All Because of You is good, but not that very good

U2girl said:

I think going with the third rock song would really give the wrong impression on the album, also there's better songs on the album. They got the rock song, the ballad, the anthemic song, yet another rock song - now it's time for the pop/radio song.

I think a more 'interesting' U2 song would be appreciated a lot more here in Australia. Radio is formatted differently to the US. Different listening habits etc. I don't quite know how to describe the entire Australian music/radio/listening market to you in a couple of sentences, except to say that I'm sure every Australian in here would back me up in saying that I'd be happy to make an honest $100 bet that Love and Peace would kick Original's arse in Australia. I think Original would sell more singles (appeals more to the single buying market), but Love and Peace would sell more albums (20-somethings).

And umm, all the singles so far have been pop/radio songs....

Earnie Shavers said:

I think a more 'interesting' U2 song would be appreciated a lot more here in Australia. Radio is formatted differently to the US. Different listening habits etc. I don't quite know how to describe the entire Australian music/radio/listening market to you in a couple of sentences, except to say that I'm sure every Australian in here would back me up in saying that I'd be happy to make an honest $100 bet that Love and Peace would kick Original's arse in Australia. I think Original would sell more singles (appeals more to the single buying market), but Love and Peace would sell more albums (20-somethings).

*bets $100*

Hold Me Kill Me Kiss Me Thrill Me is the most successful single in Australia, where it stayed at number 1 for 5 weeks. Take from that what you will.

Aardvark747 said:

Agree. But it's too late now I would've thought, to release another. The album is nearly 1 year old!

That seems like a lot, but there are bands still promoting a year-old album, such as Green Day. If you're big enough, you can pull it off.

If I had to pick a single now, it would be Original of the Species. However, if I had been in charge, I would have done Vertigo/Sometimes/LAPOE/Original and then possibly ABOY.

I'm hoping U2 will make a new album for 2006, or at least an EP. Something quick.

I know U2 usually only goes as far as releasing 5 singles but they have many songs on this album that I think would work as singles. Here's how I think it should have been like:

Single 01: Vertigo
Single 02: All Because Of You
Single 03: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Single 04: City Of Blinding Lights
Single 05: Love And Peace Or Else
Single 06: Original Of The Species
Single 07: Fast Cars (as soundtrack for some Hollywood action movie)

That's how I think it should have been. :hyper: I know I'm a dreamer! :happy:

TheBrazilianFly said:

Single 07: Fast Cars (as soundtrack for some Hollywood action movie)

Fast Cars would make a really good single, actually. It's catchy, makes you wanna dance, and it also very different from a typical U2 song. Plus, they're playing it live now. They should slap it on a soundtrack and release it as a single...maybe not til 2006 though, during downtime between HTDAAB and whatever album is next?

I agree it's too late now, Australia just wouldn't even realise LAPOE was released the singles have done so badly here. I think Australia should have been -

1 - Vertigo
2 - Love and Peace or Else
3 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4 - City of Blinding Lights
and if they were successful
5 - All Because of You

I don't think Original of the Species would work as a single.

Earnie Shavers said:

And umm, all the singles so far have been pop/radio songs....

I mean, would a song like Vertigo or All because of you or Love and peace be more popular like a song like Sometimes, COBL, OOTS in Australia? Do the Australians prefer rocking songs over ballads and anthemic songs when it comes to U2 in general?

Well, yes in a way, but I think OOTS is a more straightforward pop song than the singles so far. I could see it do well on the radio, too. :shrug:

We'll see. For all we know, maybe even the popularity of Fast cars live may give them a hint to make it a single.

Last edited:
the era of singles is over.
the radio stations in the US are corrupt and take bribes from record companies.
CD singles aren't even released here anymore. iTunes is the place to go for songs now...

Achtung had 5
Pop had 5 (MOFO was If God... Part 2)
ATYCLB had 4
RAH had 4
TJT had 3

I think they could get away with one more, but it wouldn't do any good. It wouldn't get played on US radio. They are too busy with crap like The Black Eyed Peas and Gwen Stefani and Ashlee Simpson.
Rock Acts just don't get the support. The bands that do get played get one, maybe 2 played from each album, and then its done. The Exception would be GREEN DAY...

that said, the best choice would be between these 4:

Crumbs
Original Of The Species
Miracle Drug
Love and Peace

My vote would be for Crumbs. Original would be too slow for radio play anyway. Miracle Drug would be good, but the start is too slow for US radio.

Ironically, I think Love And Peace would do the best, if there was a single edit without the long synth at the beginning, but U2 will never do that. Love and Peace will become the Dark Horse of the album (ie: Until The End Of The World / Gone / Bullet The Blue Sky / Bad / Sunday Bloody Sunday / The First Time / In A Little While)

there is usually a song that DOESN'T get released as a single, but gets attention on a best of or a future tour as a U2 classic.

Unless U2 does some major promotion for the single, it doesn't really matter.

I have yet to see the new video U2-single commercial for the iPod. All I see is the Eminem iPod commercial. It may be possible that the U2 one will come out after Eminem's commercial runs its course for a few weeks. If and when the U2 commercial comes out, it may give the album a slight boost in sales.

But right now, U2 has done nothing to promote their singles in the U.S. after "Vertigo". The whole point of a single is to promote an album. But this isn't the 80's any more. Heck, even in the mid-90's U2 would still get signficant airplay and generate a hit song with a single. However, in 2005, the world has changed. Unless one is an R&B or rap artist, getting a song out there takes a lot of work and some luck - and often a TON of promotion. Being an older band and a rock band at that, U2 need to work harder at this promotion aspect than ever before.

There are exceptions to that last statement. Green Day seems to have this whole "comeback" thing working for them.. Some up and coming bands, like The Killers, will also generate a hit. But to have two or three hits from an album, U2 have to do more - and they haven't.

So unless U2 decide to do something to truly promote HTDAAB, and really push a future single, I see no reason to release anything else.

promotion is key,...

tell me why U2 didn't perform City Of Blinding Lights on any American shows after the single was released???

what a terrible move?

They played vertigo on every American's doorstep and back porch...

COBL was an aborted baby of a single, which is a shame because in my opinion it their best song in years and could have been HUGE (as donald trump would say)

ah well, at least people aren't sick of them a la GREEN DAY (wake me up when september ends... i know people that want to kill green day as a result of that song being overplayed)

Singles are dead in America. Thanks to Clear Channel. I have no idea why U2 didn't put more into COBL. I think back and U2 should have released COBL and Vertigo together at the beginning Alot of bands release 2 singles now.

COBL/Vertigo
Original of the Species
LPOE
Sometimes...
MD

Those should have been the singles in that order. All Because of You was a really bad choice. I like that song alot, but it doesn't really stand out as a U2 track.

Back
Top Bottom