How Many Ali Songs? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2002, 05:22 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:46 AM
How Many Ali Songs?

Just a quick question...

With Ali in the news so much lately, it made me wonder - how many songs has Bono written with Ali in mind?

I can think of the obvious ones:
  • The Sweetest Thing
  • Spanish Eyes
  • Trying to Throw Your Arms around the World
  • In a Little While
  • Big Girls Are Best

Any others?

Old 04-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #2
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 07:46 AM
WOWY
Wild Honey
Ultraviolet
Acrobat

Old 04-18-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Two Hearts Beat As One, for sure
Promenade, maybe
The First Time, maybe

And I have my own theory about Big Girls Are Best...not Ali related.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:56 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This could be totally wrong, but I heard somewhere that WOWY is really directed more toward the fans. The band had become THE rock band at that point, and they were really dealing with all the pressures. It could be about Ali too, I s'pose, though!

I've got another Ali-related question...How many songs mention "spanish eyes"? There's "Spanish Eyes" and "In a Little While" of course, but it seems like there could be others...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-18-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
Den Mother

Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Hawkmoon 269
The three sunrises
Elevation-I think it has a double meaning,
it can be about God or Bono & Ali.

follower, I think "for the 1st time" talks about Ali too.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:00 PM   #6
Den Mother

Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Quote:
Originally posted by follower:

I'd love to hear it.

wertsie, in sweetest thing he sings 'brown-eyed girl", I think that counts.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:06 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by NicaMom:
Quote:

I'd love to hear it.

wertsie, in sweetest thing he sings 'brown-eyed girl", I think that counts.
Yes, very true! Ah! Now I have the Van Morrison song in my head!

------------------

Old 04-18-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Quote:
Promenade, maybe
yeeeees. it's a love song and all that jazz, with stuff about their house in south dublin. (the spiral staircase, etc.)

Quote:
what is it? i'm curious.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:30 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie:
This could be totally wrong, but I heard somewhere that WOWY is really directed more toward the fans. The band had become THE rock band at that point, and they were really dealing with all the pressures. It could be about Ali too, I s'pose, though!

I think I heard once that WOWY, Spanish Eyes and The Sweetest Thing were a trilogy about Ali and they would not make any sense without each other. I don't know for sure. I've also heard WOWY had a symbolic religious meaning. Who knows.

I think All I Want is You is about her.

I also heard that New Year's Day was originally a song about how he would always love her but it took on political meanings too.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 04-18-2002).]
Old 04-18-2002, 07:39 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:46 AM
I remember Bono saying that WOWY was an example of a song whose meaning changes over time, that it could be about a lover, but also about his relationship with his audience.

Playing off the duality of the lyrics is very Bono.

Look at the way he performs it in the Elevation DVD vs. the PopMart video...in one he's in character with a lover, in the other he has fans pawing all over his head while he's singing "and you give yourself away..."

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 04-18-2002).]
Old 04-18-2002, 09:00 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
[B] I think I heard once that WOWY, Spanish Eyes and The Sweetest Thing were a trilogy about Ali and they would not make any sense without each other. I don't know for sure. I've also heard WOWY had a symbolic religious meaning. Who knows.

[B]
I've read a few quotes where Bono said it is WOWY, Walk To The Water, and Luminous Times in which he insists WOWY will not make any sense w/o each other!! lol guess he was wrong!! but yeah about the religious aspects- although it's SUCH a quagmire of a song it's very hard to pin anything to it.

cool thread as i was thinking of this myself today, i think everyone got the ones I was going to say.

------------------
I'm honey child to a swarm of bees
Gonna blow right through you like a breeze

U2 Take Me Higher
Macphisto's Mansion
Old 04-19-2002, 12:07 AM   #12
Refugee

Well Nica, wertsie, KhanadaRhodes...probably all of you would need to come to Rio to get my point.

Iīm afraid of getting bashed, but anyways itīs just my theory, you know, throw it in the trash can if you prefer. Here it goes.

Big Girls Are Best was written after U2 came to Rio for the first time, in 1998. The song is full of references of their visit, even the address of their hotel. In the song Bono describes the women from Rio on their way to the beach, as he saw them from the balcony of his hotel room or even when he was at the beach. Many Brazilian women are voluptuous, you know, especially the ones from Rio, and they are not ashamed of showing their bodies wearing really small bikinis. Even pregnant women and the ones who are breastfeeding dress like that. There is an interview for Brazilian TV, itīs from their second visit in 2000, where Bono describes what he calls Rioīs sexuality, he talks about the women with words and gestures. He was eloquent enough to make me developt this theory. Thatīs it.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:55 AM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
WOWY
Wild Honey
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Acrobat?? Please explain. I always took acrobat as a personal armegeddon. A complete colapse of a mans beliefs and truths. Not about Ali.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP
Old 04-19-2002, 07:02 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zooropa16:
Acrobat?? Please explain. I always took acrobat as a personal armegeddon. A complete colapse of a mans beliefs and truths. Not about Ali.

Maybe I misread it, but I read that most songs on AB were about him going out into nighttown, then finding himself face down on the street (TTTYARRW) and crawling back to his wife (Ultraviolet) and Acrobat was how he felt and she felt about him once he was home, maybe because of the things you mentioned? I can't read his mind so I don't know what's true. Sometimes journalists speculate and write things for the truth that the artist never meant.

------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~
Old 04-19-2002, 08:27 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Well Nica, wertsie, KhanadaRhodes...probably all of you would need to come to Rio to get my point.

Iīm afraid of getting bashed, but anyways itīs just my theory, you know, throw it in the trash can if you prefer. Here it goes.

Big Girls Are Best was written after U2 came to Rio for the first time, in 1998. The song is full of references of their visit, even the address of their hotel. In the song Bono describes the women from Rio on their way to the beach, as he saw them from the balcony of his hotel room or even when he was at the beach. Many Brazilian women are voluptuous, you know, especially the ones from Rio, and they are not ashamed of showing their bodies wearing really small bikinis. Even pregnant women and the ones who are breastfeeding dress like that. There is an interview for Brazilian TV, itīs from their second visit in 2000, where Bono describes what he calls Rioīs sexuality, he talks about the women with words and gestures. He was eloquent enough to make me developt this theory. Thatīs it.
That's pretty cool follower.. any chance this interview is transcribed somewhere? I'd love to read it. My friend just told me "avenue atlantico" is the name of a street in Rio. Thanks for this!

------------------
I'm honey child to a swarm of bees
Gonna blow right through you like a breeze

U2 Take Me Higher
Macphisto's Mansion
Old 04-19-2002, 09:30 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That theory DOES seem plausible, follower. I'd like to see a transcript of the interview too!

------------------

Old 04-19-2002, 12:18 PM   #17
The Fly

Follower's definition of Big Girls was exactly what I thought the song was about.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:37 PM   #18
Refugee

no bashing until now...cool

I can try to make a transcript of that specific part of the interview later, although there is not any kind of reference to the song, or any song, I must say. The problem is...itīs not only his words, but also his body language when he describes them. When I heard Big Girls Are Best and read its lyrics for the first time my very first thought was of him describing the girls he saw, in that interview. Lots of fans here felt the same, I mean here in Brazil. Iīll try.

Old 04-19-2002, 12:55 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
no bashing until now...cool
*bashes follower - just for fun!

I would say that's a great explanation.

I included it in my list of Ali songs because I always received the impression of Bono singing either about a pregnant Ali (or woman) or Ali right after she gave birth ("baby at her breast"). If Bono is like many "proper" men, the sight of a pregnant woman can be very beautiful for SO many reasons. Plus, it is very empowering of women, as it is something a man can never do.

I also thought of the interpretation of a "big woman" meaning that wemen are so "big" that they can handle a home, career, the world - even a baby at their breast - all at once. In contrast, most men become babies with a little head cold. Therefore, to me, this is a song praising women, and perhaps Ali, on SO many levels.

However, I have to disagree with "With or Without You" being about Ali. I took this as a "I love you, but can't be with you" type of song - and clearly that's not the relationship Ali and Bono have. Also, "The First Time" is, to me, clearly a song about Jesus and God. I don't see any connection to Ali there at all - even if I push my imagination.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 04-19-2002, 02:04 PM   #20
Refugee

Hold On To Love?

DB9