How Many Ali Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acrobat - not about Ali or any woman in my opinion. Clearly a defensive stance against the press and critics that constantly questioned Bono's (and U2's) integrity and motives following the success of JT and R&H.

WOWY - I think this one actually is about Bono and Ali's relationship. Deals with the complexity and demands of love and constraints, give and take, in a relationship/marriage. So now of course, it fits beautifully as a song about the band and their audience which is what Bono says the song represents to him now.

Bono likes to explore the good and dark sides of love in his songs, and so many of them centre around struggle and contradiction. That's what makes them so compelling. There are so many ways to relate to the songs, but it is fun to try and get into his head and figure out where he was coming from when he wrote them
smile.gif

To summarize...

Based on what I read above, almost everyone agrees that the following songs were written with Ali in mind:
  • The Sweetest Thing (obvious - song written for Ali's missed b-day)
  • Spanish Eyes (obvious - song about her lovely eyes)
  • In a Little While
  • Wild Honey
  • Two Hearts Beat as One (obvious - almost a wedding song)
  • Three Sunrises
  • Promenade
  • All I Want Is You
  • Ultraviolet (the "opera in my head" line is definitely an Ali reference)

Then, based on what everyone has written, it's *possible* that the following songs were written with Ali in mind - for at least part of the lyric.
  • Big Girls Are Best (could have been thought of when Ali was pregnant or shortly thereafter and how she was able to be "big enough" to juggle everything a woman does)
  • Trying to Throw Your Arms around the World (possible Ali tie-ins, as Bono comes home from a night on the town, but the song itself doesn't seem directly about her)
  • Acrobat (possibly about Ali's feelings for Bono after he comes crawling home from a night on the town a follow-up of sorts from "Trying..." but again, doesn't seem to be directly about her)
  • Elevation (lyrics have sexual/sensual overtones meaning it could be about Ali and not God)
  • Hawkmoon 26(lyrics are SO vague that it can be about anything. LOL!)
  • When I Look at the World (could be inspired by Ali, or SO many other people, like the Pope)
  • Drowning Man (possibly some Ali-themed lines, but overall, seems more of a song about desperation than love)

Lastly, these are the songs that people mentioned, but that I feel have NOTHING to do with Ali.
  • The First Time (sorry, but I will stand firm here: This song is definitely about God and God's love, despite man's sins)
  • With or Without You (this is a song about a person loving another yet being unable to be with them - not true of Ali and Bono at all)
  • Hold on to Love and Luminous Times (these "With or Without You" b-sides could be a bit more Ali related than the a-side track - but IMO, the lyrics still seem to discuss more of a break-up than a long-term partnership)
  • New Year's Day (I've never heard the rumor about this song being even remotely about Ali - it has always been political from the start, IMO).

I think that covers all the songs mentioned. Discussion?

Originally posted by wertsie:
Yes, very true! Ah! Now I have the Van Morrison song in my head!

Me too. I'm so pleased I'm not the only one lol. That damn Van Morrison song. I just got it out my head after over a month and now it's back. Gona have to listen to it.

Wow. This thread has made me remeber why I used to post on here. I now spend nearly all my time on PLEBA but I'll defo be coming on here more often

Love and peace

Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom