How long have you been a U2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
spanisheyes said:
I became a fan after hearing 'I Will Follow' for the first time on Los Angeles radio, KROQ, in 1980. That day changed my life forever, and I can't imagine U2 not being in my life. My first tour was the War tour in Los Angeles with The Alarm. I could write and write forever about how much U2's music has affected every aspect of my life, but I will leave it that, that U2 has been in my life longer than they have not been, now 23 years.

Chris
im w Chris.
this is ...
a
thread
of
newbies:angry:;)

DB9:mad: :censored: :dance:;)

Since 1981, I was only 11 but I heard my brother playing U2 and just fell in love right then. There is no other band that truly and consistantly hits me straight in my heart and soul.

Calling people newbies because they became a fan after a certain date or a certain tour is a very un-U2 like attitude. Bono wouldn't approve. :down:

see, THAT is why some of us make it look like we've been fans since before we were born...to avoid being called a dreaded newbie.

I've been listening to U2 for so long, I don't really remember the exact time frame when I discovered them! But I know for sure that I really loved the song "Gloria" when it was played on the radio, then when I saw the video. That song just has such a sweeping, BIG sound to it--I still love it to this day.
And while I've been a fan since that time, going to shows, buying all the albums and such--all the good feelings and admiration and fond memories sort of turned into a passion the day after last year's Grammies! That's when I started seeking them out on the Web, and found Interference. Now I love them more than ever.

Bono's American Wife said:
Calling people newbies because they became a fan after a certain date or a certain tour is a very un-U2 like attitude. Bono wouldn't approve. :down:

Amen.

i remember thinking after i saw the Gloria video for the first time that they were singing about my mother!

lol

thanks to MTV they made me a fan early on. New Years Day, Two Hearts, Pride, Gloria, those videos grabbed my attention early on and so did the Red Rocks concert! Bono in tight black levi's! :combust: oh wait sorry, this isn't pleba. ;)

Moonlit_Angel said:

Exactly.

Like I said, it's not my fault I was born in 1984!

Angela

:yes: and it's not mine that I was born in 1981! If I would have been born 10-15 years earlier I know I would've been into U2 from the earliest days because I love early U2 now!

What difference does it make how long someone has been a fan anyway? Just because someone has been a fan longer, it doesn't make them a "better" fan!

wertsie said:
:yes: and it's not mine that I was born in 1981! If I would have been born 10-15 years earlier I know I would've been into U2 from the earliest days because I love early U2 now!

Yeah!

Had I been born a lot earlier, I would definitely have been a fan from the beginning!

Originally posted by wertsie
What difference does it make how long someone has been a fan anyway? Just because someone has been a fan longer, it doesn't make them a "better" fan!

Exactly.

Angela

Hello,

I can still remember many things very well (that are U2-related, that is :)). In 1984 I saw the video for Pride a couple of times. I didn't like it (in fact, I often confused it with the video of Prince's Purple Rain, both were performance videos with an audience). In 1987 I did not care for With Or Without You, never bothered that they did not reach #1 in the Dutch charts (they stopped at #2 behind I-can't-remember).
Around 1990 I got a CD-player and started to get more interested in music. My first favourite band was the Dire Straits, so I collected their albums. In September 1991 their latest (and also last) studio album was released, On Every Street. I bought it and a week or so later I bought U2's Rattle & Hum. I wanted to hear some new music, from an artist I didn't have any albums from. I started to like some of U2's songs and R&H was their longest album (quantity value for money). I was hooked and the rest is... So at 15 years of age I finally got some sense in me :D.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom