How long have you been a U2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember exactly what I heard first ... maybe "War," which my cousin had brought up from the "big city" (well, big compared to my hometown, anyway). I was intrigued and bought "Unforgettable Fire" on cassette at some point. My teenage years are a blobby blur.

Then "Joshua Tree" came out, and I became a big-ol' U2 nut between that and "Rattle and Hum". Egads, I was ... (counting on fingers) ... 14 when JT came out. What a whippersnapper!

I became a big fan in early 2001. :sad: :reject:

I knew and liked U2's other stuff like NYD, most of the songs on JT, AB, and Pop, but for some reason it just never clicked that all these great songs were by the same great band. Thankfully, now I realize how much U2 kicks ass.

Last edited:
I'm up there with U2Kitten and Bono's American Wife. I've been a fan since 1983. To some of you younguns that makes me old:) I'm a year younger than that old Bono.:wink:

Been a fan since Live Aid, saw them on TV and it was love at first sight...depsite the mullet :)

I've been a U2 fan since 1983, when the Red Rocks videos floored me. That makes me a pre-UF fan. When UF came out I just got more obsessed. :lol: :lol:

U2girl said:
It was just incredible - the guitars, the anguished voice won me over immediately.

Anguished voice :lol: True, Bono packs his whole heart and soul into that beautiful voice of his! :)

I've been a fan since 1990. I'd heard the songs on the radio earlier but I didn't really get into them until I started listening to a friend's Joshua Tree album. Then I got JT, R&H, AB, and worked backwards from there :D

BD IS PLAYING ON THE RADIO RIGHT NEXT TO ME. NEVER FAILS TO SEND SHIVERS UP MY SPINE......

ANYWAY, BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND. U2 WAS PASSED ON TO ME BY MY OLDER BROTHER WHO WAS AN AVID FAN. I FIRST GOT INTO THEM DURING JT AS THEIR VIDEOS WERE ALL OVER MTV. THE REST IS HISTORY AS I REMEMBER A FEELING OF BEWILDRMENT COMING UPON ME AS I FIRST SAW THE VIDEO FOR 'THE FLY', AWAITING THE THE ZOOROPA ALBUM, BEING MEZMORIZED BY POPMART AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYING THE ROUSING SUCCSESS OF ATYCLB.

COINCIDENTALLY, I HAD A CONVERSATION WITH AN OLDER PERSON THE OTHER DAY ABOUT MUSIC. WHEN U2 CAME UP, THE PERSON MENTIONED HOW HE SAW THEM BACK IN '80 IN NYC AT THE RITZ AND THE PALLADIUM. HE MENTIONED HOW THE THE ROOM WAS FILLED FROM FRONT TO BACK AND THERE WAS A HUGE BUZZ ABOUT THEM EVEN BACK THEN. FOR THAT MOMENT, I LIVED VICARIOUSLY THROUGH THIS PERSON AND TRIED TO IMAGINE MYSELF WITNESSING THE BREAKTHROUGH OF U2........

Tech said:
Fell in love with U2 when I saw the Mysterious Ways video on MTV and the rest has been history!!!:yes: :wink:

I still hate that video for some reason. haha. We all have different reasons for becoming fans I suppose.

I became a fan after hearing 'I Will Follow' for the first time on Los Angeles radio, KROQ, in 1980. That day changed my life forever, and I can't imagine U2 not being in my life. My first tour was the War tour in Los Angeles with The Alarm. I could write and write forever about how much U2's music has affected every aspect of my life, but I will leave it that, that U2 has been in my life longer than they have not been, now 23 years.

Chris

I first fell head over heels in love with this band in 88. Ironically, it was NOT because of Joshua Tree.

I found a really crappy recording of October in our locker room at school and put it in the stereo. The first song that came on was "Threw a Brick" and I could NOT believe what I was hearing. It was OVER after that. I bought Joshua Tree and just about lost my mind....
15 years later........here I am....

I am a relative newbie. I started liking them when beautiful day came out..in like november 2000 i realized them. 2 years 3 months! My life will never be the same. they chaneged it for the better. they have inspired me to do so much. I cant even start to say here what they have done for me..but i love them dearly, forever, for it.

bonosgirl84 said:
nice. war on vinyl...that's great. the only other U2 vinyl i have is josh. but war would be even better.

How come vinyl?s so special? I got The Unforgattable Fire on vinyl, but there are original records I rate higher (not musically, but from what they?re worth - Chuck Berry original, Stones, Don McLean,...) Are U2 vinyls worth a lot on the market?

I didn't become a serious fan until 97 (Holy shit I just realized 97 is already 6 years ago. Time flies...), when on a whim I decided to buy Pop after hearing my college roommate's copy. I had always liked whatever U2 I'd heard on the radio, but for some reason I never bothered buying any of their albums. I bought Pop and really liked it, then borrowed my roommates collection and became hooked - and I mean hooked! I think I ended up buying every U2 studio album up to that point within a year of getting Pop.

Man...now I'm going to have to start a U2 marathon in my cd changer.

Last edited:
hiphop...i can't speak for the rest of these vinyl lovers, only for myself. to own these beloved recordings on vinyl is wonderful. first, there are not so many places to find and buy vinyl albums anymore...and good luck finding vinyl albums this old...second, for me at least, vinyl albums from this era represent a golden time in my life, before the cd, or music off of the internet...

btw, UF is my favorite U2 album...any chance, since you don't seem to hold vinyl in as high esteem as i do, that i could get my hands on your copy?

I don't think vinyl is worth much unless its an original pressing...I have an almost complete U2 collection on vinyl and none of them are really valuable. I have an original Irish pressing of I Will Follow and the Angel of Harlem 12" with the Billy Holiday/Elvis label that might be worth something but probably not :shrug:

I do have extra copies of Rattle & Hum and October on vinyl if anyone wants them :lol:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

How come vinyl?s so special? I got The Unforgattable Fire on vinyl, but there are original records I rate higher (not musically, but from what they?re worth - Chuck Berry original, Stones, Don McLean,...) Are U2 vinyls worth a lot on the market?

For me it's not the monetary value but more the sentimental aspect I guess you could say. That was my introduction to U2 and when I pull it out I can remember opening it up and listening to it for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom